Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
60 years old...female rider, solo trip to Moab.

I’ve been a “lurker” on this site for a couple of years now. I gained all sorts of knowledge and inspiration from the road reports. Last summer I met “Stromette” (also known as “AGirl”) from the Stromtroopers.com forum. She was riding her 1000 Strom to Alaska, alone. I asked her about her V-Strom. After asking me about my experience (8 years) at riding, and my leg length, she assured me it would be a fine bike for me to ride. In September ’07 I bought my 04 650 DL V-Strom, but had to put it away after only a couple of weeks for our long Canadian winter. Over the winter I decided to ride down to Moab, Utah. I’d just had my 60th birthday in February this year, and for some reason that was inspiring me to get out there, stop talking about it and just “do it.”

Feeling rather nervous, I set off on May 31st, 2008, through the beautiful British Columbia landscape. Second day out it began pouring rain…..Riding down the steep incline onto the Needles ferry at Arrow Lake, I could see the metal ferry deck gleaming wet….but I made it without problem…..and it rained, heavier and heavier, until I reached Kaslo on Kootenay Lake, soaking wet to the knees. My old HD boots just weren’t up to the job. Other than that I was fine, but it was no night for camping. I dried out in a hotel and next day I rode into Idaho, and thoroughly enjoyed the scenery from Kootskia to Lolo Pass. That was one ride that AGirl had recommended.

After a pleasant night camping in Dillon Montana, I was looking forward to seeing Yellowstone Park…..but….as I neared, it began to snow! I thought I’d have left that kind of weather back in Canada, but no, it was actually snowing. I pulled in to the Visitor’s Centre at Earthquake Lake, thinking I could at least warm up, and then I spotted a BMW in the parking lot. They say friends appear when you most need them. Well I found a new friend, Zigy, who had also stopped because of the snow. We decided to ride on together….and it again began to snow, heavy wet slop that gradually filled the road completely. We passed a car upside down in the ditch with wheels spinning….there was no pulling off the road…too much slushy snow, so we just kept on riding. I was basically too scared to try and stop….easier to just keep rolling! The sky was black, there was lightening, and crashing thunder, and then it started to hail! It was impossible to keep the visor down, so the hail was stinging our faces, and we eventually had to stop as we couldn’t see.

We were unable to get the bikes far enough off the road to avoid the “bow wave” of slush that rose up from the trucks and cars on the road. Worried about a car sliding out of control into the bikes, Zigy said we should ride the bikes up a dirt road to a coffee shop RV campground located a short distance away. He offered to ride my bike up there, saying gently “It’s not a testosterone thing”… Everything in me wanted to let him ride my bike up there, but I also wanted to know if I could do it, and so we rode one after the other across this busy highway full of snow, and up a dirt road covered in snow to the coffee shop. Wow, what a feeling of accomplishment for me! Women traditionally have missed out on such a source of power by letting men do the difficult/dangerous things.

After two hours during which we ate a delicious pizza and drank excellent coffee, the snow melted to slush again, and we continued on into Driggs, Idaho. On the way from Ashton to Driggs we hit some nasty side winds. Little did I know they were nothing compared with what I would face in Wyoming! While parking the bikes at a hotel that night, I tipped the V-Strom over for the first time; there was no damage done, and now I don’t have to worry about doing that again! Stupidity on my part! I forgot how wide the bike is with the panniers on and just touched Zigy's bike and tipped 'er over!

At this point Zigy informed me that my bike needed a new back tire, as mine was almost bald! I learned another lesson at this point…never to rely on someone else telling me that the tires would be fine for this trip. It was a rather sleepless night with a forecast for snow. It was Saturday the next day. Put out a call on ADVRider and Guy from Victor, Idaho replied, sending us over to Adam at Jackson Hole Cycles where two new tires were fitted. Adam was impressed with a 60 year old woman touring alone, and said I should post a ride report on ADVRider to encourage other women riders to get out there and do it. Thanks Adam…great service, friendly shop, highly recommended. We made it to Dubois, Wyoming that night. What a funny little place…met some other riders from Louisiana and Boise, Idaho.

The following day we hit the wind…brutal, constant side wind, all across Hwy 287 to Rawlins and 80 to Laramie. At times I felt like crying…and I was certainly gritting my teeth so hard I thought I might do damage. It was everything I could do to keep the bike heading down the road in a straight line. I honestly felt like Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, and that the bike might suddenly spring up in the air and blow away….! It was definitely more challenging than riding in the snow. What a feeling of accomplishment though! I was very glad to be riding with Zigy, who gave me good advice about increasing my speed to at least 120 kms per hour in the wind. I think the feeling was mutual, knowing that someone else was along to pick up and dust either of us off should anything happen! Eventually we made it to Boulder, and I had a couple of good night's sleep at Zigy’s home before heading off alone to Moab.

While staying with generous friends of Zigy’s I spent two hot days in Moab looking at the incredible scenery. Unfortunately, the weather was turning very hot (92F) the next day, and for this Canuck the heat was too much, so I headed north towards Salt Lake City and on to Idaho over the next two days. I certainly did feel like I was a long, long way from home, at times. By the time I reached Boise, my very worn chain was clanking and banging and making such a din. I enjoyed another excellent day of riding (highly recommended) along Hwy. 55 north of Boise, along the Payette River to New Meadows. In Nakusp, B.C. I met Richard riding a Triumph Scrambler and Aaron riding a Hyabusa. We shared some good bike conversation, and they helped me make a chain adjustment, but the chain and sprockets were totally worn out, and I clanked and banged my way back home to Quesnel, B.C. I learned another lesson…never rely on someone else’s advice “The chain and sprockets are a bit worn, but they’ll be fine for this trip!”

Since returning home I’ve got a new chain, and sprockets (front one with an extra tooth. It seems to make for a much smoother gear change) and the Strom is running like new again. Great bike for a trip like this…very comfortable riding position, very reliable and the Givi luggage worked really well too. So that’s my ride report….I’m going to order some ADV stickers for my bike and show them off. Ladies, get out there and ride and never let anyone say you’re too old to do this kind of thing!
Attached Images

Cariboostrom screwed with this post 09-05-2008 at 08:57 AM
Cariboostrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

More pictures

It began to snow, outside West Yellowstone...
(c) zigy kaluzny 2008
Attached Images

Cariboostrom screwed with this post 09-05-2008 at 08:46 PM
Old 07-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

and more....

I'm not sure how to upload more than one picture per post....

Here is the mud/snow road up to the coffee shop/RV place....my first attempt at mud and snow on the Strom.
(c) zigy kaluzny 2008
Attached Images

Cariboostrom screwed with this post 09-05-2008 at 08:47 PM
Old 07-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

Riding into Moab Utah

I finally made it to the beautiful scenery of Moab...no more snow!
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

Rode through Arches N.P.

this Canadian found it pretty hot riding around in Arches National Park, but the scenery was amazing.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
gregg
gregg

Oddometer: 177
Way to go.
Is there more pictures?
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
longrider999
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
BLUE suzi

cariboostrom,GREAT REPORT.best part was where you took the BULL by the horns and told ZIGGY youd be able to ride it yourself.hope you enjoy youre riding season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #8
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

one more of the snow

Maybe you'd like to see another picture of the Strom in the snow!
(c) zigy kaluzny 2008
Attached Images

Cariboostrom screwed with this post 09-05-2008 at 08:47 PM
Old 07-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

more snow...

Hey, I've just got a couple of replies! thanks... Still figuring out how all this goes.... Here's another parked alongside the road in the snow, wondering what to do now!
(c) zigy kaluzny 2008
Attached Images

Cariboostrom screwed with this post 09-05-2008 at 08:48 PM
Old 07-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #10
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

Zigy....my hero!

If it hadn't been for Zigy's encouragement to go on despite the snow, and to attempt the ride up the dirt road, I would likely have gone back and around this area. So glad I met a good friend just when I needed one! Thanks again Zigy for your compliments on my riding and your help!
Attached Images

Cariboostrom screwed with this post 09-05-2008 at 09:05 AM
Old 07-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #11
canadasax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
I'm impressed! Good job
canadasax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:03 PM   #12
Backcountryboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Good on you. You personify the signature line I use on my posts. Amazing shots of the amount of snow you were riding in, and with a bald back tire too!
One small tip on posting. Change the colour of your text to white and it will be much easier to read.
Thanks for sharing your ride with us.

2013 KLR 650
2012 BMW R1200RT
Backcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #13
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 923
Welcome to the Western States

A hardy Howdy from Colorado. Good luck with your adventure.
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:38 PM   #14
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Back Country Boy....for the tip on changing to white text to make the posts easier to read.... Yes, I certainly did have to work at it a bit to get that satisfaction!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:59 PM   #15
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,380
Looks like a good ride. Those snow shots are cool!
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote