Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #2926
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
Hi ADVriders!
I'm new to this forum but I hope that I will get some help anyway.

I would like to buy a GPS to use on my motorbike but can't decide what to buy.
The obvious choice Garmin Zumo 500/660 is too expensive for my budget.
What I'm looking for is this;
Max price $400/€300,
Waterproof,
Able to turn off automatic recalculation or a way to work around it.

What I have come up with so far is a Garmin Nuvi 500/550; but I'm not sure if there is a way to work around the auto recalc.

Would really appreciate some help in this matter.
Set mapsource so its routing matches the unit as close as you can and make your routes with a few extra via points and I have found the auto re-calc is a non-issue.

Also break the routes up into a few routes, say at planned fuel or rest stops.
I never seem to stay on my "planned" routes and breaking them up a bit gives me lots of flexibility.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #2927
FelixDeLarge
Lost Lamb

Oddometer: 100
I'm buying a GPS today, going to be riding across western USA, and Australia. 65/35 on/off road.

Looking at Garmin 60CSX, just saw the CS for cheap at a few places, $100 difference.

Question - are these the only differences?

Barometric altimeter and Electronic compass. Software is still the same? No other updates.

Garmin

Also is there any other model I should be considering? Read over 100 pages of this thread, seems that the 60 serious is a good buy for what I'm doing (dont need anything fancy eg. music/camera/net).

Thanks
Old 03-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #2928
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
You mean you saw the 60Cx going for $100 dollars less. Big difference between a CS and a Cx.

CSx vs Cx:

Yes, everything else is the same, and you still get altitude and direction (when moving) from GPS.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com

tbirdsp screwed with this post 03-13-2010 at 06:36 PM
Old 03-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #2929
FelixDeLarge
Lost Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
You mean you saw the 60Cx going for $100 dollars less. Big difference between a CS and a Cx.

Yes, everything else is the same, and you still get altitude and direction (when moving) from GPS.

Apologies, the Cx @ Costco

Ok brilliant, so the 60Cx is perfect and saves me $100 bucks thanks. I have a military compass anyway.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #2930
eatalotapeaches
finding my own way

Oddometer: 1,462
So the general consensus is: having a compass when stopped and an altimeter are not really needed for anything. Therefor the 60cx is plenty sufficient. And Costco currently has the best price on it at $220?

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Psalm 143:8
Old 03-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #2931
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
This really has been hashed out a million times.

A compass would be useful when you stop, however the one on the 60CSx needs the unit to be held parallel to the ground to be accurate. Not the way most would mount it on a bike. Both the compass and altimeter need to be calibrated to be accurate. Not worth 100 bucks IMHO.

It *is* sometimes annoying to have the little triangle point aimlessly when you stop at a trail intersection. As soon as you move a few feet it finds itself though.

A 3-axis compass that works regardless of unit position would be nice. Not sure I'd ever have use for a barometric altimeter on a motorcycle (GPS-derived altitude is close enough). Someone did say they used it to forecast the weather though
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
Old 03-14-2010, 12:54 AM   #2932
FelixDeLarge
Lost Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
This really has been hashed out a million times.

A compass would be useful when you stop, however the one on the 60CSx needs the unit to be held parallel to the ground to be accurate. Not the way most would mount it on a bike. Both the compass and altimeter need to be calibrated to be accurate. Not worth 100 bucks IMHO.

It *is* sometimes annoying to have the little triangle point aimlessly when you stop at a trail intersection. As soon as you move a few feet it finds itself though.

A 3-axis compass that works regardless of unit position would be nice. Not sure I'd ever have use for a barometric altimeter on a motorcycle (GPS-derived altitude is close enough). Someone did say they used it to forecast the weather though
Yeah sorry if it has been hashed over a few times. Thanks heaps for your input, ordering one now

Felix
Old 03-14-2010, 01:38 AM   #2933
NotHome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Etrex H - will it do what I want

Hi all
I have tried to read most of the Threads on GPS and I believe the Etrex H will satisfy my needs for the next 12 - 24 months before i shell out for a 60csx or Zumo 550. All I want is a device that when I start the ride I can turn on to track where I have been and when I get home down load to the PC for future reference. The rides I currently do are only day rides where I follow the lead.

I want to do this so when my son in the next few years has a motorbike license i can take him on some of the tracks I have visited. I don't need pre loaded maps etc (I roughly know where I am going) just a device to track where I have been and on the odd occasion I might like to head back just a pointer to show me the way. From my understanding the Etrex H should do this for me but can any Etrex H owner please confirm this for me. I know I will need a cable to download from the Etrex to the PC as it does not have a USB Port.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2010, 07:26 AM   #2934
9Dave OP
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,860
OK - so I have merged my last merge. For a while at least.

Please use the GPS101 subforum to post all of your questions on "Which GPS is right for me, etc."

dunno.....
Closed Thread