Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2007, 07:13 AM   #46
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,828
I have a 76Cx and I like it.

AFAIK, the guts are the same in both units.

The 76 Cx comes with a bigger card (64 vs. 125) but that is not a big deal because you will probably want to replace it with a 1 gig card anyway.

They are both waterproof to the same standards. One floats the other does not. That issue did not sway me one way or the other.

Try and spend some time playing with each of them if you can. The form may or might not dictate which one is the better for you.

The other deciding factor is how you intend to mount it on the bike. I would sort of like to have a locking cradle for the 76 but I cannot find one. Touratech does make one for the 60 though.

HTH.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Old 07-07-2007, 08:50 AM   #47
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,853
I think the difference you are seeing is the the difference between the c models, and the newer cx models. Other than that, the biggest differences between the 76cx and the 60cx is the button placement, initial card memory size, and the 76cx floats, while the 60cx is simply water proof.

I personally like the button layout on the 76 models better. I think it's easier to use one handed.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Old 07-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #48
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
I have used both and tend to like the style of the 76 better, it is easier to use the buttons than on the 60.
One other difference that no one mentions is that you must remove the batteries on the 60Cx to get to the Micro SD card, while on the 76Cx the card is removed with out disturbing the batteries.

Jim in Sacramento
Old 07-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #49
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
I like the 76 when it comes to being hand held.

I understand the 60 series could have a little better reception in "city valleys" and in thick tree coverage.

The 60 series does not have tide tables(a lot of GPS I sell are for boats)

I do assume you are talking about the color series with the X (extra memory)

Neither of these give turn by turn out of the box,but will with Mapsource City Nav DVD.

Neither will ever speak driving instructions like a 276c,378 or QuestII will.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
Old 07-07-2007, 11:34 PM   #50
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,893
The 60's have a very bad set up for a RAM mount several people have lost them on the trail.

Several of my friends (and Me) have had failures with the 76's.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:52 PM   #51
ghostbuster2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I like the 60 series because I do not have to reach across the screen to push the buttons-easier to do on the fly.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #52
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostbuster2
I like the 60 series because I do not have to reach across the screen to push the buttons-easier to do on the fly.

Actually, you don't reach across the screen with the 76 either. The buttons are just as easy to use on the fly, and even easier to use when holding the unit with one hand.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Old 07-09-2007, 03:18 AM   #53
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
Actually,if you have practiced enough,you know what is going to be there after a sequence of buttons are pushed.
If scrolling the map,just use your thumb and the screen is not blocked.

I have not used either in a bracket,I have used III+ and V and 276c.

I douse the 76 series for 90% of the demos I do,so I have worked them upside down as much as right side up.

I would always use a lanyard.It is hard on the 276 and radar because they do not have lanyard loops.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
Old 07-09-2007, 03:22 AM   #54
9Dave OP
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,604
The major differences seem to be the 76 series is waterproof and floats, the 60 is just waterproof, the 76 is more marine oriented (has navaids and such) and of course, the form factor.

I do like the external antenna on the 60 series, and you can get mount them without having them fall off with a good locking mount, and you can add a lanyard as an extra safety just in case with a RAM mount.

Dave

dunno.....
Old 07-09-2007, 06:39 AM   #55
richc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,607
I have a 76, I bought my father-in-law a 60. I like the form factor of the 60 better, but it doesn't float and I use my 76 on the water.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:23 AM   #56
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,017
Thanks for all the opinions. I'm of course familiar with the 60 layout, and I like the hand held portability of it, but I need to stop at a store and play with both of them to be sure.

Thanks again!

Greg
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2T plated Little Miss Britches - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Legally Black
Old 07-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #57
Dano 407
One Man Wolfpack

Oddometer: 6,296
Sixty
Old 07-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #58
jsdc2005
99%er

Oddometer: 634
Good car GPS?

I realize this is a little off topic but I trust these forums to have people who know their stuff - or at least have very strong opinions! My mom, after I loaned her my Zumo, is hooked on a GPS. She wants to know a good model for her car. She's probably not looking to spend more than a few hundred. I know the basics - she should get one with WAAS and preloaded maps - but know nothing about the many many models out there for cars. Any experiences / recommendations? The most important things are reliability and ease of use - she does not need or want tons of fancy features - bluetooth, mp3 player, xm radio - because she will never use them or understand how to use them. Hell, I hardly do and I'm half her age. I do have pretty strong feelings that she should get a Garmin though.

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #59
Trinity
Byron in Texas

Oddometer: 284
Check out the Garmin "Nuvi" series...small, super easy interface, preloaded maps and loaded with features. After using mine during a recent trip, my technophobe girlfriend liked it so much, she "borrowed" it to use in her car...

The only issue with the Nuvi is that like the Zumo, they only come with a window suction mount which can release unexpectedly in hot weather. I purchased the aux. "bean bag" mount for mine so it can sit on the dash with sliding around.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #60
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
I rented a car from budget that came with a Where2 GPS that looked a lot like the garmin C550 units and its basic navigation menue was the same as my zumo. Worked great

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
Closed Thread