Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #61
jsdc2005
99%er

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity
Check out the Garmin "Nuvi" series...small, super easy interface, preloaded maps and loaded with features. After using mine during a recent trip, my technophobe girlfriend liked it so much, she "borrowed" it to use in her car...

The only issue with the Nuvi is that like the Zumo, they only come with a window suction mount which can release unexpectedly in hot weather. I purchased the aux. "bean bag" mount for mine so it can sit on the dash with sliding around.
Thanks (and thanks for all the replies). I like the c550 because it reminds me of my Zumo; what is the deal with the nuvis? Are they just slimmer and smaller? There are so many of them - which model is good? It should have a pretty decent screen (say comparable to the Zumo as a datapoint) - my mom's no spring chicken LOL.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:18 PM   #62
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
bought a garmin c330 new for $250 and have been extremely happy with it. For basic car use its about all you need and it hasn't let me down once over the last couple months....I wasn't just being cheap as I would have spent 3 times as much if I was actually going to use the extra features on the higher end models. Also drove cross-country with a c530 which was just great. Figured it would be better to get a c330 and a 60cx then try and make one do both
Old 07-12-2007, 09:27 PM   #63
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 23,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity
The only issue with the Nuvi is that like the Zumo, they only come with a window suction mount.
Well, that and the price.

My GF got a TomTom and it works well. I've never done much "hands on" with it put have used it to navigate several times. Pretty amazing how it got us to a remote weekend house in CT from NYC last month.
I have no idea how much it was, she got it as a gift.

FWIW, I don't think you're going to find a voice prompt, routing, auto re-routing, trip planner, downloaded-with-every-map-you'll-ever-need and POIs for "a couple hundred bucks." You're talking $800 plus (like the Nuvi) for those capabilities. BUT, Fry's just had some version of Steet Pilot on sale for $150.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
Old 07-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #64
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
Best Bang for the buck, $200.00
Lowrance Iway 250c

rwamf homepage
Old 07-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #65
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,582
Hi,

THIS is the best bang for the buck:

http://edgegps.com/eCart/viewItem.html?idProduct=263

JR356
Old 07-13-2007, 07:03 PM   #66
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,726
nuvi 350

I would sell them all day long.but I keep selling out.

I can't get the boss to order enough.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
Old 07-14-2007, 09:48 PM   #67
Mad Kaw Disease
Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer: 534
A big plus for the 76 if you are going to RAM mount it on your handle bars is that the cradle completely surrounds the unit in hard plastic. I've seen the 60s take a beating in their scimpy RAM cradles. And, I've seen those external antennas on the 60 go bye-bye in a minor crash.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #68
GIO
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Best Gps For South America?

I've been trying to decide for the best GPS for Colombia, South America. It will be my first GPS and I am deciding between the Garmin Vista, Lowrance Expedition C and Garmin 60 CSX. The main uses will be off roading although I am also planning a trip around south america. I've read many discussions about the pros and cons of lowrance vs garmins especially regarding the autorouting capabilities. Taking into account that there are practically NO detailed maps of most of the south amercian countries, does auto routing become completely useless? Whish of these units would you recomend?

Thanks

GIO
Old 07-16-2007, 04:20 PM   #69
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,078
i did my latin america with a garmin 176C and really liked it. i've seen people with the 276C and 376C which they also like mainly bc of the large screen.
there are free garmin maps for some countries in south america.

for argentina maps
http://www.proyectomapear.com.ar/

for brasil
http://www.tracksource.org.br/

and smellybiker.com is also reselling the above maps (saves you from registrering in the different sites) and adding more details to other countries in latin america.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:52 PM   #70
Dano 407
One Man Wolfpack

Oddometer: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Kaw Disease
And, I've seen those external antennas on the 60 go bye-bye in a minor crash.
OK, I am not arguing. But if you saw the antennae get broken, then you saw the entire top of the unit get snapped in half. It is an integral part of the unit.

Mine appears to be plenty stout.

D
Old 07-23-2007, 10:33 PM   #71
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano 407
OK, I am not arguing. But if you saw the antennae get broken, then you saw the entire top of the unit get snapped in half. It is an integral part of the unit.

Mine appears to be plenty stout.

D
Yeah, are you sure you mean a 60? No way is the antenna getting broken off without major damage.
Just did 5300 miles, including 2600 of Continental Divide ride, with my 60Cx in the Touratech mount. No problems at all.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
Old 07-24-2007, 12:13 AM   #72
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Kaw Disease
A big plus for the 76 if you are going to RAM mount it on your handle bars is that the cradle completely surrounds the unit in hard plastic. I've seen the 60s take a beating in their scimpy RAM cradles. And, I've seen those external antennas on the 60 go bye-bye in a minor crash.
The antenna is not external like a V or 276, the case is just molded around it. None of my friends or me have gotten more than 2 years out of a 76, the power connection to the main board seams to be very fragile. Last mine started loosing external power every time I hit a rock. gGt tierd of the notice every 10 seconds and unpluged external power.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:28 PM   #73
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,839
Help me with a GPS..... please

Basically I know nothing about GPS systems... I was reading about the 276 and I think the 76cx or somthing..

I am looking for a simple GPS, i dont need satellite music etc..

I want to be able to put waypoints in, mapping software and so forth.

Whats simple and can do the task..????

thanks,

Greg
Old 07-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #74
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
Old 07-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #75
GOZFST
Gozfst

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected
Basically I know nothing about GPS systems... I was reading about the 276 and I think the 76cx or somthing..

I am looking for a simple GPS, i dont need satellite music etc..

I want to be able to put waypoints in, mapping software and so forth.

Whats simple and can do the task..????

thanks,

Greg
Garmin Quest II
Closed Thread