User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2007, 04:52 PM   #76
geode

Oddometer: 381
www.edgegps.com has garmin 2610 units for a good price right now.

has a touchscreen and is easy to use.

comes with the mapping software you want as well.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:26 PM   #77
Mad Kaw Disease
Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano 407
OK, I am not arguing. But if you saw the antennae get broken, then you saw the entire top of the unit get snapped in half. It is an integral part of the unit.

Mine appears to be plenty stout.

D

Actually, that's exactly what I saw in a minor spill. And, the fellow that it happen to sent it in to Garmin and paid his $130 bucks to get the unit replaced. Then he went out and bought a 76cx so he has both. But the 76 is the one mounted on his bike now. Seeing that happen made me a believer, but I already owned the 76 by pure chance.

But it's not like you can really go wrong with either unit, the differences are so tiny as to not be worth arguing about. The only real selling point on the 76 cx and csx that I'm aware of ( and the reason I own one) is that West Marine is dumping them cheaper than you can find a new 60 cx or csx. A few of us grabbed the 76's because West had them for $299.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:57 PM   #78
Mad Kaw Disease
Dual Sport Diseased

And as a final sharing of recent experience, the real issue is whether you should keep a 60/76 c/cs or upgrade to the new cx/csx of either model. The differences are quite remarkable. The new "x" models have a lot more going for them than just the micro SD chip (although being able to store 2 gig of maps in the unit is huge. That's all of City Navigator North America v8 in the unit with 400 meg to spare.)

According to Garmin they have vastly improved the antenna in both and sped up the processor which accounts for the faster refresh rate on the new "x". The new x's will receive inside multi-story buildings and the deepest forest cover. I can personally attest to that, in fact, I haven't found a place yet it doesn't acquire at least four or five sats.

So the real question is not "to 60 or to 76" but it's "to x or not to x". According to Garmin the new 60cx is as good a performer as the 76cx that dazzled Humunn in the first place.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:04 AM   #79
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected
Basically I know nothing about GPS systems... I was reading about the 276 and I think the 76cx or somthing..

I am looking for a simple GPS, i dont need satellite music etc..

I want to be able to put waypoints in, mapping software and so forth.

Whats simple and can do the task..????

thanks,

Greg
There is a difference in how the unit is expected to be used. Some of the questions that you will need to answer are:

Will I want the unit to be self powered? Do you expect it to be used only in/on a vehicle.

How important is the track back or bread crumb feature? IIRC the automotive oriented units do not provide the bread crumb feature so if you use it to go off on some fire roads, it will not assist you in back tracking unless it has the capability.

Simplicity comes int two different flavors: You either limit what the unit can do, making the user plan out routes on the computer then transfer the routes to the gps, or you dumb down the user side and allow the unit to make the decisions. This has been the biggest complaint about the Garmin C series, including the Zumo. You've got preloaded maps, but unless you have a street address or a saved location, it takes some time to get the unit to get you where you want.

As before, these questions are best put before the GPS form.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #80
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Kaw Disease
So the real question is not "to 60 or to 76" but it's "to x or not to x".
IMHO there's only one answer to that question - "x"
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
Old 07-26-2007, 08:52 AM   #81
caffeine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
id recommend the 60Csx.....

you like to ski/snowboard and it can be used there too..its REALLY durable and expandible memory, etc.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:35 PM   #82
ISDTBower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
If you are a long distance rider you will out run the "C" with topo or anything with navigation. If you ride different places that are states away, you will have to download new maps for the area you intend to visit.

In my "C" I have Northern Calif, Nevada, and southern desert areas. I went to Pismo Beach last weekend, and forgot there was no map entered...Grrrr

The "x" does away with that issue, so you only have to be computer geeky once! Load 'em all and GO RIDE forever!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:19 PM   #83
Mad Kaw Disease
Dual Sport Diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISDTBower
If you are a long distance rider you will out run the "C" with topo or anything with navigation. If you ride different places that are states away, you will have to download new maps for the area you intend to visit.

In my "C" I have Northern Calif, Nevada, and southern desert areas. I went to Pismo Beach last weekend, and forgot there was no map entered...Grrrr

The "x" does away with that issue, so you only have to be computer geeky once! Load 'em all and GO RIDE forever!
And don't forget...."It's never too late for the ride of your life!"
Old 07-27-2007, 07:03 AM   #84
Sycamore
d00b

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeine

you like to ski/snowboard and it can be used there too..its REALLY durable and expandible memory, etc.
+1

Maybe it's better to spend a bit more, rather than find yourself limited later.
the whole GPS think does require some homework though, it's not a quick purchase.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #85
SinOfSaul
Loyalist

Oddometer: 740
I have the 76CSx with a 2GB card that has all of City Select NA 7 and all of Bicimapas Mexico Atlas installed. I found that the profile of the 76 fits less obtrusively in my pocket than the 60, we also have a cottage on an island and do a lot of boating so there was no contest as far as we were concerned.

From the stone age to the space age without ever passing through civilization.

Mwyaf eu s˘n, llestri gweigion.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:06 PM   #86
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,354
If you're into track files for downloads to mapping programs on multiday trips the 276 is the way to go.
Kinda really depends on what you want the unit to do for you.

I've only used the routing feature 2 times. Mainly I record track files of where I've been so I can share them with friends or as an area locater for picture groups while traveling about. Also can, as already mentioned, get you unlost ;-) by following the track from where you started.

Have fun deciding , there are lots out there and everyone has their favorites.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
Old 07-31-2007, 07:03 PM   #87
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,881
Whichever one you pick don't get the DeLorme Earthmate PN20.

It can use Topo6 or later mapping software. USGS quads. Even Satellite and aeriel imagery. RAM has a nice bracket for it and it can use CRV3, rechargable CRV3 or even AAs in a pinch. It will keep up to ten tracks with 10000 points each. It's small enough to be handheld and weatherproof, using SD cards for additional memory.

But I seem to be the only one that has it. Even DeLorme keeps sending me these great offers if I'll buy one.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:16 PM   #88
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeine

+1

Maybe it's better to spend a bit more, rather than find yourself limited later.
the whole GPS think does require some homework though, it's not a quick purchase.
+2
While the 60csx perfectly adequate, athough not ideal, for moto/car use, it's ultra portability and versatility make it ideal for everthing else. Skiing, bicycling, hiking, camping, kayaking, foot exploring any city while on vacation, etc. etc.

I also have a 2610 street pilot, but it can really only be used in a vehicle. Having said that, I must admit that the bright large display of the 2610 once highlighted an up-coming blind hairpin corner for me that was a complete surprise to the guy in front of me - with no way to warn him, I watched him crash. What's that worth? Clicky
Old 08-01-2007, 04:26 AM   #89
Swashplate
50 MSL & 150 KTS

Oddometer: 1,172
I like my 276C, which I bought used.

I have included with mine, which came as a kit w/ the unit:
MC hardwire
Car 12VDC/speaker thing
Car beanbag mount
Marine mount
AC charger
USB cord
Software
Memory Card reader/writer

bright screen
big screen
trackback
waterproof to like 3 feet deep.
CUSTOMER SERVICE

Dislikes:
memory storage is a "Garmin" only item not a "SD" card.
The round plug that goes in the back likes to pull apart but the AWSOME customer service fixes me right up with no problem at all.

Wish I had:
XM (next level up has this feature I think)
MP3

I am very happy with it otherwise and I cam from a Garmin III+

I put a PalmPilot clear screen cover on it to protect it.

Used the included mount and put a RAM Mount kit on it for the KTM950A
Old 08-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #90
Bruce Caldwell
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,016
Help me choose

I found what look to be pretty good deals on some refurb Garmins, none over $200. I have never owned or used a gps before so I could use some advice. The three i'm looking at are: a 2610, a Quest, & a Street Pilot III. Which one, if any of the above would anyone out there recommend? Thanks

Guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the place where the guy with the horns & pointed stick conducts his business...Frank Zappa
Closed Thread