bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinecone
...and the tires are still holding air

Lookin' good.
Yep!

Though the new tires are sitting in the garage, so gonna have to let that old faithful air go....... so sad!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #153
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Just have to get out on a ride today, beautiful day here now that Hanna has moved on to y'all up in Carolina.....

Photo op!

Old 09-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #154
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
I'd bob that rear fender- though you would get the dreaded wet-ass in those frequent pop storms you fellers are fond of having.

But man, you'd be wet in style.
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #155
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,580
lucky bastard. Hanna is completely ruining my saturday.

I'm really diggin those bags on your /2 !

And that seat really, really is coming along great. I just picked up a king/queen for my goose that I'm going to make a solo out of, a bit different style than yours though
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #156
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser
lucky bastard. Hanna is completely ruining my saturday.

I'm really diggin those bags on your /2 !

And that seat really, really is coming along great. I just picked up a king/queen for my goose that I'm going to make a solo out of, a bit different style than yours though
They were a good find. I had been looking on eBay for some sort of old bags, and one day I had the idea of searching through the horse tack. Found these: they were together on a fairly short strap with a hole through it: evidently you would use this type of bag for tools or something.

They are old, home-made, and the owner engraved his name and what is probably a ranch brand onto the strap. The leather must be at least an 1/8" thick, reallly heavy, so they will never ever wear out!

Here are a couple of photos of the builders mark:

I ended up cutting the strap that held the two sides together, but I cut it in two places so that I could save the owner name and brand on the middle piece, then just laced them to fit the bike.

When asked, it's a good place for the .357..........
Old 09-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #157
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Happy guy!

Finally got the tail and brake light installed and wired, along with the rear turn signals....! All is functional, after devising a way to have the seat lift off using the original locking pin plus another pin on the right side. This light-in-the-seat means that, in order to remove the seat, we had to leave a long enough tail to be able to open it up, and we added some spade connectors for the tail, brake and ground wire so that the seat can be removed completely without cutting wires.

Came out pretty OK, and the underseat tray is still useable as well:

Pesky things done:
  • Got the odometer working (had to do the "glue the gear back to the shaft" repair found here
  • Got the blinkers working properly by correcting the wiring to the lights relay (originally the blinker indicator light stayed on, even though the blinkers were blinking!)
  • Got the mickey-mouse wires from both perches for the clutch-relay and front-brake-switch secured by holding in place and carefully building up a black-silicone "grommet"
So now its a beautiful afternoon and I am going to go "set the exhaust system paint" a little harder: it needs to be kept at 300, 500 and 600 degrees for 1/2 hr each before the paint is chemically cured

But we all know it is just an excuse to get out for a little "repair bimble"
Old 09-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #158
bpeckm OP
Grin!

So this is "where it's at" as we used to say.....:

I effed up on the paint, though.... I flipped the seat over while I was doing the wiring etc, and didn't realize how SOFT that paint still was, so I now have a very graphic imprint of cotton towelling in the black paint .....

Plus a hard twisted-rubbed spot... so, let it harden, sand and wetsand....again......

Today's project: tire r&r...........
Old 09-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #159
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Tire and wheel time:

Scary how easy it is to take off one of these tires.... is it just coincidence that the little BMW tire tool fits perfectly under the rim so that you don't have to awkwardly step on it while using two hands to get to the next spot....?

From letting air out of tire until the tube was out and the tire was off, maybe 10-15 minutes? Now the fun: paint those suckas BLACK......

Old 09-17-2008, 06:04 AM   #160
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,735
While your craftsmanship is beyond reproach, I wonder if I could sit on that seat for more than a few miles But I have a bony ass.

Good point re: those tire irons, I never thought of that.

I understand you will add a few HP by painting the rims black. Maybe a red stripe down the spoke well? Or red hubs?
Old 09-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #161
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Stage: from what I can see, you seem to stand up most of the time in the saddle, n'est ce pas?

The foam is ready to get to the seat guy, hopefully he can make it tolerably comfortable.... my son and I are both un-tall, so we narrowed the pan and cut out some of the foam from the standard seat, so, as they say, time will tell!

Stagehand PS: Kudos to you on your selection for the "Tunisian adventure ride", we are all rooting for you! It's nothing I know anything about, but Adventure it is.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #162
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
Stage: from what I can see, you seem to stand up most of the time in the saddle, n'est ce pas?
haha-- touche!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
The foam is ready to get to the seat guy, hopefully he can make it tolerably comfortable.... my son and I are both un-tall, so we narrowed the pan and cut out some of the foam from the standard seat, so, as they say, time will tell!

Stagehand PS: Kudos to you on your selection for the "Tunisian adventure ride", we are all rooting for you! It's nothing I know anything about, but Adventure it is.
thanks man, I officially have no idea what they were thinking, but im going to take them up on it before they change their mind You guys will get a full report, and I'll be bringing you all with me in spirit
Old 09-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #163
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Tire update

So, got really cheap on the tires, found a pair of "aggressive tread" street tires by Chen Shing on Bike Bandit that were something like $70 for the pair

I could not find a 3.25x19, so I ordered the 3.50x19..... interesting to see the contrast in diameters unmounted:

These tires were just dirt-easy to mount. Got the first bead over with just my hands, used my feet for most of the second bead and had to pry with my tire irons twice.

That's the dish soap lubricant coming out the seams and the valve stem hole after I inflated!

Anyway, got my rough-and-ready painted wheels mounted back on and went for a test spin. Had adjusted up the front brakes and got them to briefly squeal/lock on some fresh asphalt with the fresh tire... yikes

Am still awaiting a back-ordered new tube for the rear tire, but you know, it is so easy to pull and change these tires and wheels, that I am just going to put on the new tire with the old tube, and I will swap out the tube when the new one comes in......
Old 09-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #164
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
While your craftsmanship is beyond reproach, I wonder if I could sit on that seat for more than a few miles But I have a bony ass.

Good point re: those tire irons, I never thought of that.

I understand you will add a few HP by painting the rims black. Maybe a red stripe down the spoke well? Or red hubs?
You da pro, man, what do you think.....? I have been trying to hold the horsepower gains down to a dull roar, don't want something too skittish.... after all, this is one of those high-compression 600cc jobbies....
Old 09-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #165
bpeckm OP
Grin!

RIP, Turbo Tire (complete with vintage air)

Sorry it had to end this way...........................