Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #31
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,664
Yeh, when you run into this stuff, it helps to take a little piece to the wire wheel and feel you have accomplished something, other than tearing, tearing, tearing..............

This is the pressure plate about to come off: a piece of cake with those oh-so-critical three bolts. They will come in handy later as the flywheel comes off as well.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #32
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,102
Oh, yeah.. the fire- Glad you made it out of that ok.

There's a bunch of things I find myself doing where I think: This would be a dumb way to die.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:54 PM   #33
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
There's a bunch of things I find myself doing where I think: This would be a dumb way to die.
cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:30 PM   #34
bpeckm OP
Grin!

This was getting into the meat of the matter. I was in denial about the rear main... must have been the tranny input seal leaking? Talked to Hucky, he walked me through the process of replacing the rear main... and off we go, with serious trepidation (maybe even doubts?).

But, as I read over and over in these threads, just jump in, read everything you can, and go for it. So, out come the heavy duties: brace that flywheel, find the 1/2' drive set, l-e-a-n on that breaker bar.... she eases out! Those are serious metallurgy in those flywheel bolts. But, with the proper "coaching" and proper TOOLS, in no time, the flywheel is off, and the mysteriously infamous "rear main seal" comes into view...

Photo: taking off the flywheel
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #35
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oops! Forgot a step

So, sharp-minded readers (ADV?) will note that with the clutch carrier off and before the flywheel comes off.... there will be a clutch (plate), clutch spring, and pressure plate...

Finally: for once, something is GOOD! Matter of fact, now I find out why the clutch pull is relatively hard on this ole girl... The friction disk (clutch plate) has mucho meato left on it, and the pressure plate is dusty but other wise good: give it a quick deglazing (emery cloth!), and it will be good to go. The pleasant surprise is in researching the clutch stuff: the pictures look like the "sport clutch" with extra rivets etc, the Fichtel and Sachs unit. Yahoo... added value. Hot stuff!
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #36
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Found what I was looking for

Once the flywheel was off, the rear main seal reveals itself... OMG that thing is HUGE! I don't know about the rest of you, but I wa totally surprised at how big that seal is... I mean, we talk bearings and you have an image of a bearing, and then you see the dinky little wheel bearings on these bikes. You talk seals, you think of something an inch around like the tranny seals, but geez, the REAR MAIN SEAL is BIG!

This is what I found, AFTER having squirted cleaners around the flywheel while I was getting over the denial that MY rear main seal doesn't leak.....
Attached Images

bpeckm screwed with this post 07-21-2008 at 06:48 PM Reason: forgot the effing photo.... getting late....
bpeckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #37
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
Oh, yeah.. the fire- Glad you made it out of that ok.

Yeah, when my wife tells me to be careful and not hurt myself on the bike, I get the impression she wasn't talking about setting the bike, the boat and the house on fire at the same time........
Old 07-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #38
bpeckm OP
Grin!

May have been foolish?

When I got into the rear main and removed it, all looked fine. No visible place to leak, etc. I DID find, when I removed the cover to the oil pump, that the O-ring was pinched and squished, and I wonder if maybe that was the source of the oil leak?

I replaced the oil pump O-ring per Hucky's recommendation, and tackled the rear main. I had tried to gently get the main seal started the same way I have put in small seals: tap it gently around the edges using a block of wood, but this sucka was to big for that, so I had been thinking....I have had good luck in using the "differential temperature" method of getting tight things to go together. You know, heat the aluminum so that it expands and allows things to go together.... Well, the flipside of that is to cool something to get it to fit into the warmer place....The block was probably 90 F, and I wasn't going to try to heat it up, so.....I soaked the seal in oil overnight, then stuck it into a baggy and threw it into the freezer (missed the photo-op )

With some trepidation I placed the cold seal into the hole and could just barely get it to start in....bit it did start. I ever-so-gently went round and round with my wood block and tapped it in. Fits!

Not to anticipate any comments, but, believe me, I am as worried as you are.... I only found out later that there is a special tool for installing the seal at just the correct depth (I eyeballed) and that there is a way to block the crank from moving forward ( was very careful not to push or pull on the crank).

As they say, time will tell...................

Photo is of the cleaned-up case, prior to seal installation
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #39
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
I only found out later that there is a special tool for installing the seal at just the correct depth
Been there done that. After ordering a 2nd seal and the magical tool from JTWind the second time around went much smoother.

Here's what a rear main seal leak looks like

Old 07-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #40
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oooff.... that is a serious leak... was that before the first or the second effort...? I have started my engine (my posts are trying to catch up with my work) and haven't seen any gushers yet....
Old 07-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #41
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,102
Sure hope the crank didnt come off the pins. I saw them in a photo a while back:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=36

but you cant tell from this view. I think you can see in from the side, if the jugs are off.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #42
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,568
That was before the 1st effort. I think it had been leaking for awhile
Before the 2nd effort it took several miles (probably less then 100 but more than 50) to show just a small drip coming off the shelf.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:26 PM   #43
bpeckm OP
Grin!

To keep my sanity, and a sense of progress, I was continuing to clean bits and pieces of the bike. Did not want to remove the jugs, etc, and was trying to figure out how to clean up the blossoming oxidation of neglect.

Tried a drill-mounted wire brush, couldn't get down into the spaces very well. Skinny little wire brushes were too aggressive and removed the patina. So, I ended up with what I think worked out well: I fold a green scotchbrite pad lengthwise, and pulled it down into the fins while running back and forth. Lots of cruddy dust later, I sprayed it all with WD40.

Photo shows front cover (done on the bench wire wheel), the cylinder on the left of the photo has been cleaned with scotchbrite per above, the one on the right is how it started. A dramatic difference!
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #44
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Big effing mess

The big project, totally new to me, was with the front forks. They plunged freely with no damping action whatsoever, so I knew they would need a rebuild

With the help of Duane's threads on front ends, and my Haynes, I dug in...

Drained the bottom: maybe half a cup of ooze.... Tore it all down, removed the bottom piece and this is the lovely state of the bottom bumpers:
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #45
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Copious amounts of solvents, long bottle brush, dismantling etc and I was ready to put it all back together. New bumpers, washers, O-rings, wiper rings, check ball springs (that was an effing bitch to get out, til I got some advice on how to pin the sucker from turning while I yarned on the ends...), etc etc.

They are back together now, but something ain't right, so I will probably have another version of this chapter later (details to follow)

Something relatively clean: oily, not greasy, yeah
Attached Images