Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #496
tathambenjamin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Lots of good threads on rear main seal replacement. I did my one and only replacement of one on my R100/7. The self tapping drywall screw into the old seal works really well, but I would reccomend using two screws, one on each side of the seal, for additional leverage. You have to be careful to only contact the seal and not the edge of the engine case when you put in the screws.

I had the tool from Jeff Trapp to put in the new seal, but I was coached that several others have been fine with a block of wood and lining up the depth of the seal by using a block of wood and getting it flush with the case.

Bpeckm is more knowledgeable than me, and Im sure someone else will be along shortly to correct anything I may have gotten wrong, but all in all the rear main seal is a pretty simple procedure, even the first time through. Good luck!

-HST
tathambenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #497
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,569
Hey, "more knowledgeable" I am NOT! I have done the trial and error like all of us, and had dam good luck!

I actually "pulled" my rear main by prying, carefully!, with two screwdrivers and getting it started... being careful not to nick/ding/effup the circumference. It's large size is actually a plus, in that it is easy to see, and get behind, the rim of the seal... wasn't trying to keep the seal, so any damage done to the seal in removal was of no consequence...

And, I did just tap the seal in with the "block of wood" method to get it flush... it has all worked perfectly for thousands of miles and a couple of years since, so I guess it gone done "right"!!!!

I had the engine out of the bike, but there is probably no reason that it has to be done that way. On the other hand, once you have pulled the tranny, and since you have the heads off (hence, no exhaust, no carbs), it would not be a whole lot more to just un-do the engine bolts and roll that sucka outta there.....!!

Old 04-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #498
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Getting the ole girl ready for spring... have put on a new wiring harness, after the other one toasted a few wires while starting, for some odd reason.

Also, with the andy-dandy new muffler and it's "packing", the bike sounds great... just enough throatiness without being obnoxious. And man, I like the looks of that peashooter....

Old 04-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #499
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
Getting the ole girl ready for spring... have put on a new wiring harness, after the other one toasted a few wires while starting, for some odd reason.

Also, with the andy-dandy new muffler and it's "packing", the bike sounds great... just enough throatiness without being obnoxious. And man, I like the looks of that peashooter....

It'd look even better without the crappy cell phone pic...
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #500
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
It'd look even better without the crappy cell phone pic...

.... I ALWAYS aim to please.... howsthis?

Old 04-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #501
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,159
Much better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
.... I ALWAYS aim to please.... howsthis?

I think I wanna live in roadiland... you don't even need a license plate!

I should have gotten the carbs back today for Jezebel and the Mystic runs great.
I plan to make an lobsta run to RI real soon...
I expect you to be available...
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #502
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Heh! Plate is down low, port side... it still has the (expired!) FL plate, which by law MUST be placed horizontally. Playing with the thought of putting it on the back of the fender somehow, now that I have a longer mudguard.....this from the port side, old shot without the new fender and muffler setup:

Give me a buzz if you get this way, would like to meet: bringing the /2?

Cell phone is seven seven two five five nine four seven two five.... email is bpeckm at geemail dot com....

bpeckm screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 02:20 PM Reason: oops... put wrong phone number in originally... sheesh!
bpeckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #503
gasolinePony
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Look Familliar?

I'm the guy who ended up with The Red Baron!

http://flic.kr/p/c9rQ8u

Lovely bike, and boy does it get some looks. I'm looking for something for the highway though, so she's back on the market ($2800)! If I had more garage space, I'd just keep it. You've done some nice work. It was fun and inspiring to see all the work you did. The head got scratched. Not sure who did that, but I'm sure it was after you sold it.

gasolinePony screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 10:44 AM Reason: can't get flickr or Google Photos to work, what gives?
gasolinePony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #504
bpeckm OP
Grin!

This is the photo meant to be posted above....
Old 06-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #505
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,338
Is it parked there ready for a prison break?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #506
Moresnow
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Seen this bike recently in Mad River Valley, Vermont.
Moresnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #507
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Yeah, I sold it to a fellow in VT, near Mad River, but he sold it to western MA... glad to know the ole girl is getting around... that was a fun bike that always got a lot of comments.

I finally got the Peashooter exhaust on her, and then sold 'cuz I wanted something better for 2-up.... now have an 80ST, which will probably end up far from stock as well.....
Old 05-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #508
bpeckm OP
Grin!

The above-mentioned R80ST has been getting some slow, long-lasting loving.... getting antsy to get 'er on the road again.....

i tried some (tape-assisted!) pinstriping this last week... man that shtuff takes some skillz.....!!

bpeckm screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 06:11 PM
bpeckm is offline   Reply With Quote