Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2008, 07:46 AM   #61
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy
Yeah, I know... had to catch up with some homework this weekend... just enough of a ride to admire the red tank, and to know that I will, once again, be pulling the front end down... Putts, you called it....

Back to the work on the bike, let's see, where was I? I guess the reassembly was in progress, got the forks and rear drive painted with black epoxy paint, will be going for black wheels and rims eventually....

Cleaned the wiring harness with some armorall wipes: amazing how they look like new! Re-wired the frame/harness/ buckets etc. Nice, tight, properly done wiring, it's looking good......
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2008, 07:51 AM   #62
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Wiring renovation included replacement of the points wire and its sheath, as well as a new "belt and suspenders" redundant redundant ground strap, new positive lead from the diode board to the battery (which is the primary wire for the charging circuit), and generally a lot of attention to connections, grounds etc.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #63
bpeckm OP
Grin!

One of the things that I learned from my /2 forums is the trick of painting the inside of the headlight bucket: really helps with the "black hole" effect when trying to suss out the wiring inside....
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #64
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,370
Be careful with that wire wheel. It'll leave steel dust on your parts which will rust and turn all your shiny bits rusty.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #65
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
Be careful with that wire wheel. It'll leave steel dust on your parts which will rust and turn all your shiny bits rusty.
It's supposed to be a brass wheel...but who really knows...Hey, I could put a magnet to it...will try that! Thanks for the inspiration
Old 07-28-2008, 07:35 PM   #66
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Rear shocks were another mini-project.... wanted to see, first if they were any good, and if so, paint them black. First, remove the springs so that the shock itself can be pushed and pulled to see if it has any life left in it.

Well, to get at the top mount, one has to somehow squeeze the spring away from the underside of the top casting, so that a wrench can be used to hold the shock rod. Having a garage full of carpentry tools, a spring compressor of dubious reputation was invented. Having seen photos of real ingenious ways to hold the shock with jigs and whatnot, this is a little embarrassing, but hey I got it to work....

The hardest part was getting enough oomph on a little tiny wrench that would fit the flats on the top of the shock rod. With the help of the blue wrench, it was finally accomplished. Result: one good shock, one marginal. But..... well, the $$ for good shocks will come, sometime later. Remove the godawful aluminum covers, remove and wirebrush springs, shock bodies, give it the primer/rattlecan treatment, and presto.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #67
bpeckm OP
Grin!

...and presto (reprise)
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #68
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #69
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 850
Looking sharp - reminds me of my own aproach to restoration....
Old 07-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #70
bpeckm OP
Grin!

On reassembly, greased the bejeesus out of nicely-cleaned headstock bearings. The steering seemed to work ok, but when I opened it up, the old grease was hard, crusty, dirty, ugly, etc etc.

Above shows the original grease on the lower bearing (which remained on the headstock), and the cleaned-bu-not-yet-lubed upper bearing. Upon reassembly, the bearings were butter-smooth, with absolutely no notchiness.

Lotso grease is good grease...............

bpeckm screwed with this post 08-01-2008 at 08:49 PM
bpeckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #71
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Success: above. I finally was coached into posting more than one pitcher at a time...

Another little niggle.....

I am not a fan of black valve covers: just don't like 'em. For that matter, I don't like the '80's look either: their square AND black valve covers, ech... So, this had to go:

The faithful wire brush didn't do it, so I thought hey! paint remover! It actually worked perfectly: brush it on, let it sit, wipe it off. A couple of coats and they looked like this:

Interesting side note: paint was covering a repaired boo-boo I think, though the exterior match was pretty good, inside you could clearly see a fix.

So, they looked good, then I took them to the wire wheel. Found out that they now looked TOO good: way shinier than any other aluminum on the bike.... hopefully time will catch up with those too-shiny covers quickly.....

I am not entirely a shiny-bike guy: I really like the patina on my /2, so I am at a little bit of a loss as to why I am painting and wire-brushing everything on this project.......don't wanna make it TOO nice... am hoping that the black wheels will give it a ratty rough look..... Datchew wants me to try his bedliner on the wheels.......

bpeckm screwed with this post 08-01-2008 at 08:52 PM
Old 07-31-2008, 05:55 AM   #72
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Every little mini-project has been its own reward: it is truly amazing to see how the built-in quality of componenets can be released with a little TLC.

For instance, the instrument pod, as found:

My initial ride showed that the speedo worked (forgot to note that the odo doesn't.), but the tach has no needle. I found a ratty pod on eBay with wrong speedo and functioning tach, so I did some cut-and-paste work with the guts, tested the bulbs, cleaned etc

Got some fresh rubber rings for the outside from Hucky (who has NEVER failed to have every part that I have needed for this and my /2), cleaned the glass and put the front back together. The glass is a non-glare glass, which is good, I guess, but takes some getting used to... I glued the glasses back on with super glue and luckily the new rubber rings cover the joint.

I had cleaned the faces of the instruments, and they looked great that evening. The next day, however, some white film had shown up (see above), much to my , since they HAD looked nice. Don't know what I spread around when wiping, (I suspect it might have been related to my runny nose but....) I put in a thread asking for help with cleaning the faces, and found a fascinating solution from a watch-restoring, ADVRider reader (this place is truly an amazing resource!). He suggested a slurry of cream-of-tartar* and water, gently wiping the faces. It removes fingerprints, smudges, crud, and leaves the faces looking like new.

*Cream of Tartar has been in the spice cabinet for eons...and have always wondered how it justifies its existence. Turns out it is used by cooks and bakers (i.e. my gourmet-cook wife) to stiffen egg whites in meringues, and is part of baking powder, as well as watch-face cleaning.

A little rubbing with generic-armorall (amazing stuff on plastic and rubber!), and

Ta-Da
Old 07-31-2008, 03:54 PM   #73
Cat Daddy
Cob Artist

Oddometer: 837

Don't stop now. You could repaint the raised lettering for the idiot lights with white paint.
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:05 PM   #74
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy

Don't stop now. You could repaint the raised lettering for the idiot lights with white paint.

Or not.....
Old 08-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #75
bpeckm OP
Grin!

The Tank. Kinda like the look of the small tank, my friend Randy has a small tank, non-toaster, on his 75-5, and it is gorgeous.

This tank was in phenomenally good shape, physically. No rust, a couple of smallish dings. Cosmetically-challenged, though. Sitting in the Florida sun forever, I would wager. Didn't take much sanding to get down to the original primer

The underside cleaned up real nicely, still had the original initials of the hand-pinstriping, which I wanted to "keep", so I masked it off and painted the underside a semi-gloss black. It is Rustoleum Professional, for you connoisseurs of fine paints.

Rustoleum automotive grey primer made that lovely blue go away... sorry, you Monza Blue fans...............

My son Will and I had decided that a nice red would be good, so the red/wetsand/red/westand started up. Then Will took off for some time in Maine, leaving me in the sweatshop, so I tried masking off for a black top/red sides effect....

Can't wait til next week when he gets back to see if he likes.... I sorta like it, am thinking of perhaps a flat-black on the top, rather than the semi-gloss, but thene the rest of the black has been semi-gloss. Thinking of flat black for the wheels, though....

Decisions, decisions

bpeckm screwed with this post 08-01-2008 at 08:55 PM