Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #76
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
I glued the glasses back on with super glue...

I had cleaned the faces of the instruments, and they looked great that evening. The next day, however, some white film had shown up....
Super glue does that, that's why the cops use it to fume objects and get fingerprints they might otherwise miss.

Cool project!
Old 08-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #77
jayflap
LaMont You Big Dummy

Oddometer: 35
All I can say is wow. I have been lurking for a couple of weeks now and keep coming back to this thread. I love the look.
jayflap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:09 AM   #78
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vintage
Super glue does that, that's why the cops use it to fume objects and get fingerprints they might otherwise miss.

Cool project!
Well, now, Mr. Vintage, I thank you very much. I am glad to know that. Seems that my "exposure" to cop fingerprinting has evidently not been close enough...

I never cease to be amazed at the little bits of knowledge that we all collectively learn and pass on....and every day that you learn something new is a good one.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #79
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Getting down to the gritty nits now.... the seat. Ah, the seat. There are a lot of good looking "boughten" seats and pans available, but we are going to do a custom.... being "short of leg", we want to lower the seated position a bit more than the stock seat, we want a cafe-style bump of some sort, and are still trying to decide whether to use any rear fender. We could cut the pan length and use some fender, we could leave the pan length and use no fender... just gonna feel it out..............

The first step, once that tank was red, was to get something to sit on to get the wheels rolling again. Scrap of plywood, sharpie, jig saw, a few screws and fifteen minutes, and here is the test pilot's seat:

Not real comfy but enough to get around the block, find out that the front forks just aint working right, and start to sort out the carbs. Most of all, to listen to the 2 into 1 exhaust that we picked up on IBMWR. That was a hoot, to hear the engine with the new exhaust. Not your father's BMW, to be sure!

The test-pilot seat will probably be used for a bit whilst we do other stuff, so it had to get "more" comfortable.... still hards as hell, but, hey, we can tough it out.... Dragged home some insulation board, found my spray adhesive and a hack saw blade, and, yowza, custom seat. Still way hard

Upholstered it with Rustoleum Semi Gloss black, and here is the finished () project. Not bad for an hour's time, total.

Close up fine workmanship......

Project on the seat and pan has started.... stay tuned for further posts....
Old 08-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #80
Justinmarque
Thumper>Airhead

Oddometer: 105
Lookin' good...

You are close.....very close.

Justinmarque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #81
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
Looks great!
1998 CR250
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #82
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,079
Tank Question

I'm curous what you did with the roundels. It doesn't look like you bondo'd the area in - is something glued in there? It looks good.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:26 AM   #83
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
The Tank. Kinda like the look of the small tank, my friend Randy has a small tank, non-toaster, on his 75-5, and it is gorgeous.

Decisions, decisions
I agree on your choice of tanks, The small tank looks awesome on cafe projects. NICE paint scheme. Have you thought about a set of the factory small tank knee pads?
they would really set this off. I believe they're still available. BMW parts numbers 16111232235 & 236
Max BMW shows them for about $25.00 each which means Chicago would be about $20.00 each.
Robert

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:39 AM   #84
Nick Makwell
Bavarian Murder Weapon

Oddometer: 672
Hey Rob - do you think the small tank would look good on my R65?

I can't remember if this tank has the cutout tunnel for the frame mounted electrics?

Wife wants me to use a large tank (R90S style et al), but I don't want the bigger tank to take up so much room on a cafe...

Nick Makwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 AM   #85
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes
I'm curous what you did with the roundels. It doesn't look like you bondo'd the area in - is something glued in there? It looks good.
In the photo, that is just masking tape, painted over. I removed the stick-on plastic with the heat gun, it left an aluminum roundel that had been painted with the blue/white spin. I masked with tape, then cut the edges with a sharp Xacto. The plan is to either get new stick-ons, or my son wants to custom paint some sort of "artistic" something.... I will leave that up to him!

But. the painted masking tape doesn't look bad, so, for now, that is "the look"
Old 08-04-2008, 07:16 AM   #86
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Makwell

I can't remember if this tank has the cutout tunnel for the frame mounted electrics?

Wife wants me to use a large tank (R90S style et al), but I don't want the bigger tank to take up so much room on a cafe...
My bike is a 60/6, with drum brakes, but after a long discussion about tanks, it seems that all of the /6 and /7 tanks had the cutout for the master cylinder. There is evidently some difference in tank length.

As for whether it might fit the R65. I don't know. These tanks all mount on a transverse "cylinder" up front, with a rubber cover. The tank is dropped onto that, and then rotated down over two posts at the back with two nuts to hold it on.

PS (edit) I like the R65 tank, it should make a real nice cafe-size....

bpeckm screwed with this post 08-04-2008 at 01:13 PM
bpeckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #87
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Seat progress:

Guess I should post some photos of my lovely seat.... This shows the cover after painstakingly taking it off, only to then decide that nobody in their

right mind would actually want/pay for an old cover, so TOSS. The foam underneath was in amazingly good condition, so it was carefully peeled away from the pan, and set aside for the possiblity that we could carve it into something useable.... Then the pan "modification" began: I cut the exterior rim off, in an effort to make it narrower and more streamlined, without committing to whether we would use the back end of the pan, or not.

How's that for action shot....sparks a-flyin'. Please note that there is NO GASOLINE nearby, and that I am OUTSIDE. (My wife says that I may be trainable after all.....)

Net result:

Note the condition of the metal: steel+Florida humidity+Florida heat= rust. But, Ospho to the rescue, we will be 'glassing this pan top and bottom, including something to staple the upholstery into. (Which brings up the question: why on earth did BMW decide to bolt the cover to the frame....sheeesh that was a pain to take apart!)

Came out to the garage early one morning, something caught my eye behind some wood, and between the dim light and my aging eyes, couldn't quite see what species this critter was, so I grabbed the camera and lit 'im up..... corn snake, harmless. I figure they eat lotsa bugs, so we let him be. Not so sure that they are more scared of us, than we are of them, as they say..........

At least I know that he's there...... lurking.......
Old 08-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #88
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,591
Quote:

At least I know that he's there...... lurking.......

I think you just found the color scheme you were looking for!
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #89
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Makwell

Because it is an R65 frame, Nick you are limited to tanks.
ONLY These will fit:
R80 GS & PD, R80ST, R100GS &PD, R100R, R100-MYSTIC.
R65LS and standard twin shock only . The tank from a mono lever R65 will not fit.

Robert

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #90
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 26,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser
I think you just found the color scheme you were looking for!
Good idea.