Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #91
Nick Makwell
Bavarian Murder Weapon

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr
Because it is an R65 frame, Nick you are limited to tanks.
ONLY These will fit:
R80 GS & PD, R80ST, R100GS &PD, R100R, R100-MYSTIC.
R65LS and standard twin shock only . The tank from a mono lever R65 will not fit.

Robert
(ears closed) (ears closed)

Yeah I figured that would be the case. The R65 frame is a bit different...

Oh well, I'll have to tell Mrs Makwell that we have to - have to - because Robert said so - to have a custom tank made.

Probably alloy.

Nick Makwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #92
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Makwell
(ears closed) (ears closed)

Yeah I figured that would be the case. The R65 frame is a bit different...

Oh well, I'll have to tell Mrs Makwell that we have to - have to - because Robert said so - to have a custom tank made.

Probably alloy.

Ya gotta go to Scotaland, but hey........these are their Manx tanks, but scoot around their site: breathtaking!
http://www.thetankshop.com/

Attached Images

bpeckm screwed with this post 08-05-2008 at 12:29 PM
bpeckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #93
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Temporary fuel system

Whilst the tank was being prepped and painted, and the underside was all masked off, and with no petcocks, it was time to see if the ole girl would still run....

Sometimes you just hafta hear the sounds......

Anyway, with not tank, this was my temporary fuel system, enough to start, run, rev, adjust, refill; reprise. That urethane fuel line is so nice to work with, it was easy to get through the airbox, doesn't kink, etc. Please note that the gas "tank" is far away from hot engine, backfires, exhaust.....No fire this time!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #94
Jonesy_10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Just been reading through the thread, looks amazing. By the way, thats the same fuel system I used on my Yamaha- a scrap of hose and a funnel..
Jonesy_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:03 AM   #95
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy_10
Just been reading through the thread, looks amazing. By the way, thats the same fuel system I used on my Yamaha- a scrap of hose and a funnel..
As they say, Great Minds Think Alike....

And I'll say again, JONESY10, I admire your persistence in getting your project going. Not always the case for those as young as you,to say the least! And to quote HelmetHead in your thread: "keep it up and you will do well in life."

PS for JONESY10: If it makes you feel any better, my bike has been an ultra-low-budget bike, and I am facing the tire decision myself. OK for the neighborhood street test rides, but, reality is: new tires are needed. They will cost more than any other single thing, for sure.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #96
JeffPM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Came out to the garage early one morning, something caught my eye behind some wood, and between the dim light and my aging eyes, couldn't quite see what species this critter was, so I grabbed the camera and lit 'im up..... corn snake, harmless. I figure they eat lotsa bugs, so we let him be. Not so sure that they are more scared of us, than we are of them, as they say..........

Actually, they eat rodents and birds. Very beneficial and beautiful creatures. You are correct, they are more scared of us.

Enjoying this thread, great job on the project!

'09 Suzuki DL650 WeeStrom
'09 Triumph Street Triple R
JeffPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:36 AM   #97
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffPM

Actually, they eat rodents and birds. Very beneficial and beautiful creatures. You are correct, they are more scared of us.
Shall I presume, from a perceived friendliness to this guy, AND your avatar, that he is definitely more scared of you than you of he..... Speaking for myself, even though I KNOW that he is harmless, he EARNS my distance.....

I leave him alone, he leaves me alone. That's the way we like it, uhuh!
Old 08-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #98
Nick Makwell
Bavarian Murder Weapon

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
Ya gotta go to Scotaland, but hey........these are their Manx tanks, but scoot around their site: breathtaking!
http://www.thetankshop.com/

Been there, done that, got slapped by the wife when i mentioned the price!!!

But you're right....

Nick Makwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #99
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Makwell
Been there, done that, got slapped by the wife when i mentioned the price!!!

But you're right....
But, but, the tank is for HER..........
Old 08-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #100
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Forking success at last

My forks had turned into what Putts had so eloquently described as "polishing turds", its just that these turds were long, silver, and shiny! The first time I would put the front brake on, the front end would dive... and stay there, like REALLY stay.... the only way to get them back extended was to wrestle the bike back onto the centerstand, with absolutely no load on them. This made for a HARD ride, especially with that plywoood seat. So it was really puzzling: obviously something was acting as a one-way valve, letting the forks absorb, but then allowing zippo rebound.

After the third time of pulling apart and re-assembling my front forks, I finally got it right. Since all else had failed, I had to do the un-mentionable: ask for directions

I took in my parts diagram from the MaxBMW fiche, and my Haynes manual, and asked Hucky about the location of one part, which was not clear. Turns out that part number 7 "bush" (with a small b), which is a small clear plastic-y "donut", contrary to all my logical interpretation of this diagram, does not go above that shoulder of No. 18! It fits perfectly there, but that is NOT WHERE IT GOES........

If you look at this drawing, it goes above parts No. 8-11, which are at the BOTTOM of the slider tube. It is the bushing for the topping out: it goes NOT between the spring and the No 18 tube, but between the tube and the slider: i.e. below the shoulder and wiper assembly on No. 18 tube. It is actually a loose fit, and is there to prevent metal-to-metal contact upon topping out the shocks.

The proper interpretation of this drawing: No. 12 (the whole assembly of Nos. 13-21) actually goes BETWEEN No.6 and No.7. (not exactly crystal-clear, or is it just my limited mental capacity....never mind!)

So, there you have it.

The diagram is easy to mis-interpret. Especially since, when I took it apart, both of the absorbing bushings were literally gonzo, not there, missing in action. They evidently get chewed up, and/or they dissolve into crud, over time.

I am now quite adept at tearing apart the front end. If anybody needs any pointers, just let me know!
Old 08-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #101
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
It is the bushing for the topping out: it goes NOT between the spring and the No 18 tube, but between the tube and the slider: i.e. below the shoulder and wiper assembly on No. 18 tube. It is actually a loose fit, and is there to prevent metal-to-metal contact upon topping out the shocks.
So if I'm interpreting this correctly, this is the magic bushing we were discussing a month or so ago regarding the clacking noise from the front end while going over bumps.
Kind of makes sense to me, I don't recall seeing those when I had my forks apart.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #102
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewarax
So if I'm interpreting this correctly, this is the magic bushing we were discussing a month or so ago regarding the clacking noise from the front end while going over bumps.
Kind of makes sense to me, I don't recall seeing those when I had my forks apart.

Mike
Yeah, if you look at where it is: when the slider (bottom) drops down as far as it can, it brings No. 18 with it (the bottom of 18 is the allen screw which sticks out the bottom of the slider), so that the shoulder (about 2/3 up on No. 18) rides down until something physically stops it: it is supposed to be stopped by the little clear donut, which bottoms out at the bottom of the fork tubes (parts No.8-11 screw into the bottom of the fork tube).

Obviously that little donut takes a physical beating, and eventually gets chewed up and "disappears". Or rather, it is the guck at the bottom of the oil if it is let go (as in my bike, and sounds like, yours....)

See some guck:
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #103
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Had some fun last night!

First, you have to understand that this project is labor intensive, not capital intensive. In other words, being cheap, here....

The seat pan was ugly, rusted through in a couple of spots around the edge, etc, but that didn't stop us from declaring it a proper donor to the cause. We stripped off the cover, salvaged the foam (so far, for no apparent reason, though we are not done yet), and then ground down the rust, paint, etc. Used a generic Ospho on the remaining rust, acid-neutralized it, and then used glass mat and epoxy to start the project......Here is the first cut-down, original paint and rust....

Skipping a few tedious steps, here...

We had decided to cut short the subframe, not go with the full length seat and faired back. This is the epoxied seat pan, with some thoughts on how far we might cut back the seat:

So, with no welding equipment or skills, and being "frugal", this was the solution: bolt the two sides together just forward of the cuts. I bored out the holes to 5/16" to accept a stainless threaded rod, then cut down a black iron 1/2"ips to snugly fit. Cut the stainless to the proper length so that the two acorn nuts would not bottom out as they pulled it all together, threw in some threadlock, and now we have transverse structure, which will allow the back of the subframe to be removed:

Marked the old fender as to where the bolts would go through

And sketch in the mini-fender-profile, keeping in mind that we can cut more off, but adding back will be a little more difficult ()
Old 08-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #104
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,582
why did you have to glass mat and epoxy the seat? To fill in those holes?
...and what is glass mat?

Very pertinent info for me; just nailed down an old guzzi pan [$35!! yeah! ] that I'm going to make a solo saddle out of. I just have no idea how

The pan I scored looks nice, the cover just went to hell. Anyone ever make a cover before?
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #105
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser
why did you have to glass mat and epoxy the seat? To fill in those holes?
...and what is glass mat?

Very pertinent info for me; just nailed down an old guzzi pan [$35!! yeah! ] that I'm going to make a solo saddle out of. I just have no idea how

The pan I scored looks nice, the cover just went to hell. Anyone ever make a cover before?
Glass mat is fiberglass in a random pattern, as opposed to a woven or stitched cloth. It is not as strong as cloth, but it builds up quicker. Any "fiberglass" is a matrix of resin and glass fiber: pure resin can crack easily and doesn't have the strength by itself.

The epoxy resin (as opposed to polyester) was to create a better bond with the metal.

The basis for the whole thing was, originally, that we were going to glass a "hump" behind the seat, making a bump-stop seat. And I needed something to "attach" to....the old seat pan was pretty bad, with rust holes etc. I suppose I could have painted it, but this was a good way to strengthen/seal and give me a base for the hump and the upholstery foam. Coulda boughten a nice cafe seat, I know, but we had some epoxy resin, glass mat, and all the goodies, and no spare $$$$

Re: your Guzzi pan: if the seat foam is good, then it is a question of stretching the new upholstery material over it. Easier said than done, to make it look nice, but easily done to make it functional.

bpeckm screwed with this post 08-12-2008 at 11:01 AM
bpeckm is offline   Reply With Quote