Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #16
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,429
String plugs, and I have run as much as 9K miles on them.

Oh, and I get 10-12K on my rear, and as much as 16K on my front Avon Distanzias on my R1200GS.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #17
JBSmith
Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromTom
Gee, lets think, well doesn't the shop sell tires? Bingo, there you go. They feign some liability crap if they plug tires basically.
Doncha just love conspiracy theories? The less proof there is to back them up, the more people believe them.

Liability is a huge problem when it comes to plugging motorcycle tires, because (a) all the tire companies recommend against it, and (b) some plugs do in fact leak. Put yourself in the position of a bike shop that plugged a tire the manufacturer said shouldn't be plugged, and on which the plug subsequently failed and put the rider on his head. You'd better have a buttload of insurance, and a lawyer with long sharp teeth and a dorsal fin.

My local shop won't plug tires. What they tell riders is to take the tire to a car tire shop, have a patch plug installed from the inside, and bring the tire back to be mounted on the bike wheel. No liability since the customer had the questionable work done elsewhere.

Cycle Guide Magazine The digital update of the print-era classic
JBSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #18
Boris Badenov
#1 super-villain

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2
OK! What kind of tires are you getting 12k out of??????????????
What bike, what tires, what tire pressure, what type riding? I'd love to get 10k out of any tire.
That's not unheard of. I am consistently getting over 10K from PilotRoad... mostly slab though
Old 08-08-2008, 07:23 PM   #19
Dave2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,275
Well, I gotta admit I put some distanzias on the KLR and have about 5K on them and the front looks brand new and the rear looks.........well....really new. So I may have a tire that will last.

Now...to see if they work on the K1200RS!!!!!

K1200RS 04
KLR 650 08
Dave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #20
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2
Well, I gotta admit I put some distanzias on the KLR and have about 5K on them and the front looks brand new and the rear looks.........well....really new. So I may have a tire that will last.

Now...to see if they work on the K1200RS!!!!!
They work great on my R1200GS, your lighter bike should last a LONG time. I usually get about 9-11K miles out of mine.

JIm
Old 08-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #21
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,290
I carry a plug kit with me and had to use it once. It worked great and got me home. I had to pay 25 cents to get air to fill the tire.

That plug lasted a long time then started a slow leak as the tire wore down. I replugged it and continued.

Here is what Dunlap says about repairs:

Dunlop recommends only permanent repairs performed from the inside of the tire, using a combination patch/plug method. Never attempt a repair from the outside, or inject a sealant, or simply use an innertube, a patch or a plug as a substitute for a proper repair.

Only a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle tire dealer should perform repairs. Inspection of the tire and adequacy of repair becomes the responsibility of the person actually performing the repair and Dunlop does not warrant the results of a repair in any way. Combination patch/plug repair kits for use by the repair shop or dealer are available with accompanying instructions from companies such as:

Remarco Inc.
200 Paris Ave.
Northvale, NJ 07647
(201) 768-8100

Technical Rubber Co.
P.O. Box 486
Johnstown, OH 43031
(740) 967-9015

Tip-Top/Moto Combi Kit

Tech Uni-Seal® Repair Kit (Also has been marketed by Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha with their own part numbers.)

NOTE: There may be suitable repair kits and materials provided by manufacturers other than those listed above.

Before any repair should be attempted, however, a tire must be removed from the wheel and thoroughly inspected. The following are minimum guidelines for the repairer:

Tires should not be repaired if any of the following conditions exist:

1. A tire has been previously injected with a sealant/balancer.
2. The puncture is larger than 6mm (1/4") in diameter.
3. The puncture is not perpendicular to the carcass.
4. The puncture is in the tire sidewall.
5. Separation of plies, tread separation, separation of any other components.
6. Cut or broken ply cords.
7. Broken or damaged bead wires.
8. Cut or damaged chafers (bead area).
9. Deterioration of the carcass inside the tire due to "run flat" or underinflation.
10. Cracks or other damage to the integrity of the inner liner.
11. Excessive wear - tire should have at least 1/32 of an inch of tread depth, excluding tread wear indicators.
12. Cracks in sidewall or tread.
13. Impact breaks, cuts, snags or gouges that penetrate the surface.

NOTE:

1. There should be no more than one repair in any quarter of the tire and no more than two repairs per tire.
2. The wheel itself must be in good condition. Any cracked or bent wheel, however slightly, may allow the loss of air and cause subsequent deflation of the tire.
3. Following repair, the valve assembly should be replaced and the tire/wheel rebalanced.
4. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after tire repair and the repaired tire should never be used at speeds over 80 mph. The repairer is solely responsible for instructing the motorcyclist as to the restrictions to be placed on tire use following repair.

In summary, NO form of temporary repair should be attempted. Motorcycle tire repairs leave no room for error and any doubt as to inspection or adequacy of repair should be resolved by discarding the tire.

Be sure to consult our Motorcycle Tire Limited Warranty, Care and Maintenance brochure for additional information regarding the use of Dunlop tires. Seek a qualified motorcycle tire repair center for more details. NEVER ATTEMPT TO REPAIR A DAMAGED TIRE WITHOUT THE AIDE OF AN EXPERIENCED TIRE MECHANIC.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #22
tommytoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
buy more TIRES -- really i have never had one completly fail -- a few times , my fault , i had a slow leak but never a failure
tommytoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:19 AM   #23
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
Just got a flat Monday, 1200 miles on the bike/tire. Vacation starts after work today for 10 days. 3 plugs would not stay in. Took it to a Midas and they plug/patched it and I am riding out on it for 3-3500 miles next week. I am not worried. Likely need to replace the tire once home or while on the trip anyway.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #24
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,979
Question O.K., I'll just ask...

My 'o5 GS came with a tireplug kit. You got the hole poker dealie, the plugs, and the C0@ bottles. I pretty much understand the plugs and the tool, but not the C02 and how you get it from the bottle into the tire...
Riding with these BMW kits for the past 10 years and never asked the question, I figure it's about time...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #25
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Look inside the kit and you should see a small white tube. You attach that the the valve stem, then twist the CO2 bottle onto it. That will release the CO2 into the tire. If you manage to get all three in you will have 10-12psi in a plugged tire.

Jim
Old 11-25-2008, 10:29 AM   #26
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,979
...yes, I never seem to get the tube portion in a kit, I assumed there had t be some knd of tubular dealie that seats and punctures the C02 bottle...never seen one yet.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #27
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog
...yes, I never seem to get the tube portion in a kit, I assumed there had t be some knd of tubular dealie that seats and punctures the C02 bottle...never seen one yet.
You are better off with a WalMart $10 compressor anyhow.

Jim
Old 11-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #28
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
Just got a flat Monday, 1200 miles on the bike/tire. Vacation starts after work today for 10 days. 3 plugs would not stay in. Took it to a Midas and they plug/patched it and I am riding out on it for 3-3500 miles next week. I am not worried. Likely need to replace the tire once home or while on the trip anyway.
It worked and is still on the bike and @ 5500 miles. Surprised the OEM Bridgestones lasted this long. Should be good for a bit into 09 season
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #29
stretchmoney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
my plug experience was getting a chain link in my rear tire during a trackday.I had a plug kit with me that I hadn't used yet(used on the car, not my bike.) I asked a man there who owned a company selling tires at the trackday if it was safe.
"anyone telling you a plugged tire is unsafe wants to sell you a new one."
his words-and he's someone that could've sold me a tire.
just make sure you work that reamer tool in and out really well, it will either hold air and be fine, or you will know it was done wrong within a mile.
stretchmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:50 AM   #30
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchmoney
my plug experience was getting a chain link in my rear tire during a trackday.I had a plug kit with me that I hadn't used yet(used on the car, not my bike.) I asked a man there who owned a company selling tires at the trackday if it was safe.
"anyone telling you a plugged tire is unsafe wants to sell you a new one."
his words-and he's someone that could've sold me a tire.
just make sure you work that reamer tool in and out really well, it will either hold air and be fine, or you will know it was done wrong within a mile.
I never said they were unsafe, I said they just plain suck. Now, I am talking about the little arrow\mushroom looking plugs, not the long gummy worm type of plugs. If you happen to get a perfect hole that happens to accommodate the mushroom style plug then thats great. But a worm can be used on that same hole as well as small tears as well, making them more useful. They also seal up much better for punctures that are not perfectly round...one where a reamer would not get it perfectly round either.

Yes, a well plugged tire can last, I plugged a tire and put like 20k additional miles on it without a hitch.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote