User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
sidetrack one OP
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,413
Parallel thread..Lets lose weight!

OK, we've got the guys giving up smoking.. fantastic! the best thing they'll ever do for themselves... but for all us non smokers, I reckon the best thing we could do to show our support is ditch some lard!
I am a good 15 kgs overweight, been on BP pills for 20 odd years, at risk of type 2 diabetes, heavy snorer bordering on sleep apnea, and I got a shit load of things I want to do before I have a heartie!
I have been successful before at ditching it, but at 50 I just can't seem to get that initial loss happening before I get depressed and eat up big!
I live by myself and the last thing I want to do when I get home is cook!
I have never tried any of the plans, I think it is like smoking, cold turkey and willpower.
I AM READY!! Any tips?

List of losers!!

Name Initial weight Aug Sept Oct Nov Final weigh in
1WD 100
althasaur 106
AUZ CRUZER 108
Aussie Dakar 144
Bulldust 90
Dave Ward 108
eddahenry 147
Gidyup 94
Hunsta 95
Jameseye 94
Knackers 91
Lewy 121
middy 129
M.R. 84
ronnie ron 138
rosscoact 82
roswellj 85
S2W 92
Safari Berg 86
searchin oz 102
Shmerel 105
sidetrack bob 100
Stede 96
trailjeff ?

sidetrack one screwed with this post 08-07-2008 at 02:09 AM
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
bigdag
vicarious rider, surfer..

Oddometer: 846
Tuna salads.
bigdag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,896
just plain hard work

Sadly its all just plain hard work

gotta up the excersie on a regulr routine basis

for me its now gym weights 45mins 3 times / week, cycling & running 60 mins 4 times / week

then cut the food calorie intake by 25% it seems

up the protein

drop the carbs down at least 50% normal intake

drop the booze down at least 80% normal intake

with this I went from 92.5kg to 81kg in 4 months

oh yeah I just cracked the 52 barrier this week

that said I need to be about 80kg on a long term basis so the above regime is not sustainable, it works to get it down but the biggest challenge is to stay down

thats damn hard discipline it seems
Old 07-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack bob
OK, we've got the guys giving up smoking.. fantastic! the best thing they'll ever do for themselves... but for all us non smokers, I reckon the best thing we could do to show our support is ditch some lard!
I am a good 15 kgs overweight, been on BP pills for 20 odd years, at risk of type 2 diabetes, heavy snorer bordering on sleep apnea, and I got a shit load of things I want to do before I have a heartie!
I have been successful before at ditching it, but at 50 I just can't seem to get that initial loss happening before I get depressed and eat up big!
I have never tried any of the plans, I think it is like smoking, cold turkey and willpower.
I AM READY!! Any tips?
dave,

There are a couople of books out there which explain what you need to know. I'll have a look and send you a title.

As I understand it, diabetes, high cholesterol and hypertension are all related diseases and by doing something for one you can fix the others. There are a lot of things you can do and of course lowering weight is a biggie.

Obviously there is only one way to lower your weight and that is less fuel in and more movement. I reckon diets are a complete waste of time and are quite unsustainable. You have to accept a diet that is principally what you are going to eat for the rest of your life.

If your eating properly, one easy trick to slowly lose weight is weigh yourself every day (at the same time obviously). When you get up, have a set of scales next to the dunny, after your slash weight yourself. Write it down in a pad if you are that sort of a person. If you are heavier than yesterday don't eat as much and especially avoid crap food and booze. It's not particularly scientific buit it's the same principle as beating the cigarettes one craving at a time.

Look for low human intervention food.
Big breakfasts are good (sardine and onion on toast) but I tend to do the cheese and salad sandwich on big wholemeal bread for lunch. that way you are getting two or three serves of vegies. you should try for the 5 and 3 as a matter of course.
stay well away from Trans fats, that would be margerine and takeway fried food, they add weigh and increase cholesterol
Also eat fish, oily fish in particular.

Giving up the smokes is a breeze in comparison

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #5
AUS CRUZER
Lets Cruz

Oddometer: 2,409
Liposuction
good luck Bob,all us non smokers will be barricking for you.Once we are done on the QUIT SMOKING thread i'm sure we will have to visit this thread to shed some lard.
AUS CRUZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
Hunsta
Have guns will hunt

Oddometer: 5,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack bob
I AM READY!! Any tips?
I hear you there mate. I too have been doing the Covercyl thing for a year now, but my colesterol was very low so it was just hypertension not diet. I too have done it before losing great amounts of weight only to pack it back on a a year or two later when you end up leveling out.
SafariBerg is right when he says it just plain hard yakka that will take it off you, but as we get older (Im in my mid-late 40`s) it gets bloody hard to work fulltime and then come home and hit the gym a few times a week. I once lost 14kg in 3 months just working on a banana farm. I ate what I wanted and the hard graft just sliced the fat off me. 3 years ago I gave up drinking milk(was up around 6ltrs a day) and just that dropped 16kgs off me in 6 months. Regulating when one eats is IMO a good way. Eat big morning and early afternoon, then have a very small snack in the evening. Eating big meals then going to bed just makes the body store everything and doesnt give it a chance to burn off the bad stuff. If you do think you want to hit the gym, I found just cardio stuff is great. Treadmills and crosstrainers make you burn lots of calaries. Im trying at this moment to convince myself to get some off again.
I recently went to a doctor for a check up and was told that when adding my height and weight to whatever scale they use I was at 30 points, which indicates I`m obese. Im 174cm and weight 95kg. I dont have a light build, but he indicated I should be around 80kg mark. I really dont concider 16kgs over weight as being obese.
Why dont we have a Weight watchers style weigh in and then we can post weekly loses or gains. Could be good to have other cheering us or frowning on our gains and driving us to do better.
we could call it
THE BIGGEST ADV LOSER
Old 07-19-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunsta
I recently went to a doctor for a check up and was told that when adding my height and weight to whatever scale they use I was at 30 points, which indicates I`m obese. Im 174cm and weight 95kg. I dont have a light build, but he indicated I should be around 80kg mark. I really dont concider 16kgs over weight as being obese.
Why dont we have a Weight watchers style weigh in and then we can post weekly loses or gains. Could be good to have other cheering us or frowning on our gains and driving us to do better.
we could call it
THE BIGGEST ADV LOSER
you're just chunky mate, big frikken chunks though

I'm about 10kg over my fighting weight, the only thing is that we lose muscle mass and put on the fat around the guts.

How about now to xmas eve, strictly honour system only. I'm 82kg and my ideal weight is 72. The closest to ideal weight at Xmas eve is THE BIGGEST ADV LOSER

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au

rosscoact screwed with this post 07-19-2008 at 09:14 PM
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
AUS CRUZER
Lets Cruz

Oddometer: 2,409
OK i'm in.May as well go the full hog on this healthy thing.How often are we weighing in.
HEIGHT-187cm
CURRENT WEIGHT- 108 KG (that poor little xr)
PERSONAL TARGET-95KG

AUS CRUZER screwed with this post 07-20-2008 at 03:36 AM
AUS CRUZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
sidetrack one OP
Boss STAG

OK I like Rossco's plan! I'll weigh in tomorrow morning as that will be the time I will do it eacd day or so! Xmas Eve it is! I may be having a little side bet with another inmate for added incentive! Lets do it chaps!
Old 07-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
middy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
rightio add me to the list as well.

I used to run cross country and could pass all the military fitness test without raising a sweat. I played water polo as a sportie once a week, went to the gym after work every night and a then a quick run home type deal.

I was a welder in the Army and was welding under a demo bridge (that the engineers use to practice on) and burnt through my harness. fell a bit over a story onto a sandy riverbed and crushed 3 discs in the lower back

I had to stop everything I was doing at the time (fitness wise) and have never gotten back into it.

I was 99kg's when I was in my prime (i'm an old farmer boy, 3 axe handles across the shoulders type of thing) and am now 129ish Kg's last time I checked.

If I can get back to 110Kg's I'd be extatic however going back to running is definatley out as I still ave constant back pain 7 years on.
The Doc's keep wanting me to fuse my spine but whle I can still play with the kids that won't be happening.

I gave up smoking prior to leaving the army and I'm not what you'd call a heavy drinker.
I'll aim to change the old diet and walk instead of taking the bike to round up the sheep.

Might even dust of the old pushie and grease the chain
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
middy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #11
caggs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Thumb The only way is a change of lifestyle

Mate - you have exactly the same scenario as me - high BP, overweight, about to hit 50, except I have Type 2 diabetes. One thing i have found, is that diets on their own dont work. I have been on the diet merry go round for ages and my weight just goes down and then up. The only thing I have found is that I have to make some major decisions and change my lifestyle, this was the only way to keep the weight off. The down side is that we are creatures of habit, and making the necessary lifestyle changes is so friggin hard, not impossible, but hard. This was one of the reasons I got back into dirt bikes, doing something physical and enjoyable instead of sitting on my a#$e.

Good luck and best wishes to those about to venture down this path, dont give up and as the ad says - keep on keepin on.
caggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:50 PM   #12
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,120
Competitive dieting

Have a look at a boom by the editor of Men's Health called The Abs Diet. It is an excellent cientific appproach to weight loss through healthy controlled eating and excercise. I lost 6 kg's in two weeks with it... that was two years ago and I have put on more than that in the mean time but I will join you in your battle mate and pick me book up again and shed some kg's and up the fitness... course it helped the first time that my wifee bet me she could lose more weight than me in two weeks, with the prize being a new moto for me or a new diamond ring for her... that bike was always gonna be mine!!!!
Competition dieting is definately a motivator!
Southern Explorers trail and adventure riding group contact me for details
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:03 AM   #13
roswellj
ARGHventurer

Oddometer: 802
I'll be up for it. I am currently 85 and need to get down to 72 or 73 (I'm a short arse) to be back in the healthy weight range. Not a huge drop but being as I'm studying pharmacy at the moment I should start practising what I'm gonna have to preach.
roswellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:17 AM   #14
sidetrack one OP
Boss STAG

So there is no miracle pill,Roswell? Just curious! Actually what do you know about appetite suppressants? The smokers get a patch, what do us fat pricks get? besides diabetes I mean!
Old 07-20-2008, 12:21 AM   #15
johno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,909
Jeez, your asking a bit much now.
I can understand giving up those filthy fags, but not giving up my food for anything Pass the chocolate please.

If I didnt spend so much time on this site, I may do some excercise.