Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #466
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy John View Post
Well, I'm on this bus.

I'm working on diet and exercise. Starting weight was 95.6kg, waist 112cm on 6 Sept. My goal weight is 78 kg.

So far, so good.

SJ
6 week weigh-in this morning.
87.7 kg

Sensible diet and moderate exercise. Dogs have slimmed down as well from all the walking.

I'm going to start Pilates next week to bring back some flexibility and strengthen my back to try and deal with lower back pain that I've carried for years.

I'm focused on doing some rock climbing with my son which was something we did together when he was a little tacker. I was the catcher then!

SJ
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #467
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,706
After being told by the doc that I was obese and verging on diabetes, I've been on the diet wagon too.

Started on August 6, weighing 85.6 kg. Low GI diet, no processed food, walking 7 kms a day and riding the pushy for at least half an hour.

As of this morning I'm 72.5 kg I've been aiming at a calorie intake/ output deficit of 1000 calories, and it was hard work to start with but it gets just a bit easier as I go along.

Target is 70 kgs.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #468
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,688
Good stuff here

It's not easy to stick with it gents but hats off to all of you.

I got a tap on the shoulder from the doc a few years back now. Over weight, gout, liver issues and borderline diabetes. And bearing in mind I'm practically a dwarf I was 78kgs. Dropped down to 63 but everyone thought I had cancer. Decided that at my age 70kgs was a fair target. Been 70 for at least a year now.

I now cycle to work even though I need the car to do the job. I lock it in the warehouse at night and cycle home and back to work the next day. The key for me was turning hard work things into habits. Now cycling to work is my norm and I don't think much about it. Except when it is raining.

My method? Simple. Maths. Found out how many calories are in a kilo of body fat, measured everything that when in and out and bingo. I used my phone as an exercise tracker and linked in with a few mates so we can take the piss errrr encourage each other.

Gotta front up to the doc soon. And he's a hard bastard. His words still ring in my ears. Neil he said, "if you do nothing, this isn't something you will have to live with for too long. It will kill you" At the time my son wasn't even 1 year old.

Good luck to everyone trying to get on top of their health. It's not something men are usually very good at.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #469
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 744
Fasting diet

Not sure if this has been mentioned here. An option to consider is an intermittent fasting diet, which (apparently) has a range of benefits for your body and blood, in addition to the obvious weight loss. I have used it to manage high triglycerides and improve liver function and the blood tests show a significant improvement for me after just 3 months. It is basically a minimal (or nil) calorie intake on 2 days a week to initiate the body's repair mode. You get to eat normally for the other 5 days a week, but obviously a sensible balanced diet and regular exercise is best to compliment the fasting. Once you have "normalised" you can adjust the fasting periods to maintain a healthy state. I find it easy to do and better for me than managing a low cal diet every day of the week.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...28/3700802.htm
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/hea...-1226722426045
Old 10-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #470
hahnelw
Just Mapping Another Ride

Oddometer: 591
Bit of an update from me. Hit 36kg weight loss last night with about another 5-6kg to go to get me down to "fighting weight" (its almost 12 months since I started and the habits developed over that time are sort of normal behaviour now. New wardrobe has been costly but well worth it. Feeling great and made our sand riding trip to the Sunset Country a whole lot easier! Just think how much cost there would be in trying to make your bike 36kg lighter!!

Cheers WH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentil View Post
Ooh ooh ooh pm on its way

Calling russ to the bat phone

Nice one . I reckon that you are on the right track for the long term . one thing i have found with bootcamps and pt is that i can get worked harder by a professional than i can ever work my self
Mile marker 203 The gas gauge leanin on the edge of E and I'll be damned if the rain ain't pourin down Theres somethin smokin underneath the hood Its a bangin and a clangin and it cant be good And its another 50 miles to the nearest town
hahnelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #471
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz-Strom View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned here. An option to consider is an intermittent fasting diet, which (apparently) has a range of benefits for your body and blood, in addition to the obvious weight loss. I have used it to manage high triglycerides and improve liver function and the blood tests show a significant improvement for me after just 3 months. It is basically a minimal (or nil) calorie intake on 2 days a week to initiate the body's repair mode. You get to eat normally for the other 5 days a week, but obviously a sensible balanced diet and regular exercise is best to compliment the fasting. Once you have "normalised" you can adjust the fasting periods to maintain a healthy state. I find it easy to do and better for me than managing a low cal diet every day of the week.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...28/3700802.htm
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/hea...-1226722426045
A proper portion controlled diet will do the same. I speak from experience with regards to medicals!! Also drops the weight fast, but I also speak from experience and can confirm that beer puts it back on fast too!

Each time I have to do a medical, 6weeks and no beer plus proper diet and I can drop 10kg's (I am 110kg and 183cm) which puts me into a much more healthy BMI bracket. Now if I only I could maintain that diet of no beer and healthy food...
Old 10-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #472
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,610
Quote:
87.7 kg

Sensible diet and moderate exercise. Dogs have slimmed down as well from all the walking.

I'm going to start Pilates next week to bring back some flexibility and strengthen my back to try and deal with lower back pain that I've carried for years.

I'm focused on doing some rock climbing with my son which was something we did together when he was a little tacker. I was the catcher then!

SJ
Hook in !!

Go well!!

Ran 7km this morning in a bout 5:30 per km!

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #473
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer

Quote:
Well, I'm on this bus.

I'm working on diet and exercise. Starting weight was 96.5kg, waist 112cm on 6 Sept. My goal weight is 78 kg.

So far, so good.

SJ
Quote:
87.7 kg

SJ
Well here we are at the two month marker.
Weigh in today was 84.2kg.

I haven't got to the Pilates as yet but I have the voucher. Still sticking to the diet and going for long walks in the moonlight!

SJ
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #474
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,610
Quote:
Well here we are at the two month marker.
Weigh in today was 84.2kg.

I haven't got to the Pilates as yet but I have the voucher. Still sticking to the diet and going for long walks in the moonlight!

SJ
Awesome work! if you keep going you will probably surpass your goals The pilates is supposed to be very good for lower back injury!

Im Stil boot camping and PT'ing several times a week

Ran a 57 minute 10km on friday and backed it up with a High intensity training on saturday morning and mud run training this morning!

only 2 weeks still we do the suck it up butter cup obstacle course and then ill have to find another challenge!!

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #475
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer

6 December 2013 82.1kg
13wks, 14.4kg dropped.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #476
GazzaFish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Just thought i'd chime in and say how impressed I am for all those people working hard to be healthier. My hats off to all of you. Well done!!

GazzaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #477
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,706
Quote:
6 December 2013 82.1kg
13wks, 14.4kg dropped.

I'm doing about the same. 18 kg in 16 weeks. One more to go
Old 12-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #478
jacksonracingcomau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Hadn't noticed this thread, been doing same for a while now, was 10 1/2 stone at 26 after Africa trip on bike, no alcohol in Sahara !!
Fighting weight recorded
Hit 14 stone at 50
10 3/4 now, a few pounds to go, I'm nearly 55

Easy , you just have to understand food & GI, I'm sure it's all in this thread but I'll say it anyway
No food in packets, buy meat from butcher, fruit & vegies from greengrocer, if you have to read the label, chuck it away, walk to shops or park bike far enough away you at least walk some of it.

Eat carbs (high GI) if you must but not with protein ie salad sandwich, not bacon or cheese.

Easy as much protein as you want but never with chips, roast/any form of white spuds or bread. 6 hours between
Fat does not make fat, I have loads of crackling, love it.

Get weaned, milk is for baby cows.

Sweet potatoes (kumara) are anything but, they are low GI, ideal for roast and taste superb. These and beetroot have become my favourite veg with loads of meat or fish

Fish is perfect, but not in batter.

Give up bread, white spuds and milk, you won't miss them at all

My breakfast is fruit, nothing but fruit, loads of it, even travelling my tank bag is full of it. Replenish daily

Drink water not sugar drinks

Hardest one
Beer is the only thing with more glucose than glucose (maltose GI over 100)
"Beer gut" is bleedin' obvious
So drink wine or whisky but no not add lolly water, that's meant for children.

I eat and drink as much as I ever did but fit clothes from my 20's again, can wear my old race leathers easily, a joke a few years ago.

If I can do it, anyone can.
Diabetes type 2 is a self inflicted wound. Going to be way worse casualty figures than smoking, Mc D's just like Phillip Morris, they'll just sell to the 3rd world after they get sued in the west.
Blood sugar level, magic words
jacksonracingcomau is offline   Reply With Quote