Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
Land OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,817
Wink West Fest ’08 – on my way

Installment 1

I loaded up the bike Tuesday, July 15 and hit the road late in the afternoon on my way to WestFest ’08 via the BMWMOA rally in Gillette, WY, and –hmmm – I guess I’ll have to see where the GS takes me. I didn’t make the MOA rally. You'll see why below.

I was having some clutch issues that I thought were hydraulic in nature, so I stopped at the MotoCompound in Rossville, Ga., (near Chattanooga) where SupperMoTodd let me crash on the floor in the air-conditioning, and he and Boojum! got me back on the road the next morning. All seemed well .

I renewed my love/hate relationship with the Interstate system and slabbed it up from Chattanooga to Nashville to Saint Louis to Kansas City through Saint Joseph, MO.

About 35 miles north of St. Joe, I was stranded with what turned out to be a ruined clutch.
I didn’t get a pic of the rollback wrecker that picked me up from the end of the I-29 Exit 75 ramp, but here’s the bike while I waited in the dark.
It was dark and I almost .
After the tow, a night in a motel and lots of phone time to get a truck and make arrangements , I loaded the bike with the help of the motel owner and headed out for BMW Motorcycles of Omaha.

Here’s what a rainy street in Omaha, NE, looks like from the cab of a U-Haul . You’re probably as thrilled by the view as I was.

I turned in the rental truck Friday afternoon and loaded my gear into this

and headed back south from Omaha to accept the gracious invitation of CCRyder to spend the weekend hanging out and riding with him. (Thanks, Champ and Tami. )

CCRyder and I went to eat.

This morning, CCRyder introduced me to katbeanz, an ADV member here who lives just down the street from him. katbeanz loaned me his ’08 Husky TE-610 , and the three of us went riding on some great gravel roads here north of KC. (Dean, thanks for the loan and the introduction to the area.)

katbeanz (in helmet) and CCRyder say hello to you FFs.

The bike katbeanz trusted me with . Check out the neat old building we rode past.

CCRyder and some loose cattle.

katbeanz (standing) and CCRyder during a little rest stop.

Mmmmmm, gravel.

Mmmmm, red gravel.

We stopped for pie.

We went to church. CCRyder sang.

The other end of the building is in rougher shape.

I had fun.

katbeanz led us back to their ‘hood.

Somewhere along the way, I got katbeanz’s Husky dirty. I’m pretty sure it was when I followed him through that big ol’ mudhole.

Later in the day, CCRyder took me to Motorcycle Closeouts in KC, where I met the owner, ADV inmate Rusty B. I didn’t take my camera, though. It’s a cool store, and I picked up a helmet liner.

Mrs. CCRyder, Tami, came in from working out of town and we had a great meal together. No pics -- just imagine great Mexican food with a couple of great folks.

Just under 3 weeks to West Fest. More to follow (though some of it will be what CCRyder referred to as "adventure driving" until I get my bike back)

Land screwed with this post 07-20-2008 at 10:26 PM
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
CCRyder
Champ

Oddometer: 1,717
you never know what sort of "riff-raff" might wind up on your door step around these parts!!!
Attached Images

2002 KTM 520 E/XC
2011 BMW R1200 GSA
CCRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,859
I'm sorry about your clutch.....when are you supposed to get the bike back?

Have a great trip and keep posting!!

Old 07-19-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
iyeager
I lost my avatar...

Oddometer: 2,782
Sorry I missed the ride. If I could of cobbled the XT together fast enough I would have happily accompanied you guys. If you pass back this way give me a heads up, I'll let you sleep on the couch with my dog.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyeager
...if I can get time off from the soulless great machine.
iyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:09 AM   #5
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,282
Nice meeting you man! The Honda's clutch is grabby, steering head notchy, and back brake a little wonky.
Figured a strange bike would be easier for you if it's a fresh one. A big Thanks to CCryder for treating us to breakfast.
Hope you get your bike fixed to your satisfaction and I look forward to seeing you at the informal gathering in Lake City.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:54 AM   #6
foster
Huh?

Oddometer: 738
Bad news about the clutch Chris - hope you get back on the road soon. Still trying to get my act together to make it out for westfest! With any luck I'll see you there.
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:47 AM   #7
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Bummer about the clutch, Chris. Do you have any idea how long before they can get one installed for you?

Best of luck on all of this, it sounds like quite the cool trip you have planned. I'm jealous.

What'd you think about that Husky?

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
Lexington
deliciously wicked

Oddometer: 11,499
There is no one better than CCRyder and Tammy in the KC area!
Lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #9
CCRyder
Champ

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington
There is no one better than CCRyder and Tammy in the KC area!
hey Lex.........we're really over rated, but thanks !!!
Lots of good peeps here in KC, we're glad to be counted among them.

Dean, really generous of you taking us on the tour yesterday and loaning your bike.....we had a good time, trying to figure out what to do today (its gonna be a scorcher I'm afraid)---maybe over to Leavenworth and look around--- and back to Kearney and visit the "James" brothers old farm............ have to see what Chris is up to today.

2002 KTM 520 E/XC
2011 BMW R1200 GSA
CCRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #10
Land OP
Wanderer

Thanks for the PMs and replies. To answer a question several of you have asked, it looks like I may be able to get the bike Wednesday in Omaha. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Billy, that Husky 610 is schweet -- and katbeanz was incredibly gracious and generous in letting me ride it. I got it a wee bit muddy and he wouldn't even let me clean it. That reminds me that I heed to clean the muddy-water streaks from the top of my helmet.

All the best,
Chris
Old 07-20-2008, 06:27 PM   #11
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Chris, I'm so Sorry this happened on your way out west, it just made me sick! The bright side is, you hanging out with Champ! He's Top Notch! I'm gonna start some detective work on tuesday with BMW Atl. Please keep us all posted on your doings man!

Boojum!
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #12
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
At least you'll make West Fest on time!

Old 07-20-2008, 11:14 PM   #13
Land OP
Wanderer

Installment 2 -- Ice Cream and Jail

So I’m still cooling my heels at CCRyder’s place near KC, MO, waiting for BMW Motorsickles of Omaha to get my new clutch in and my bike back together.

Today, Champ and Tami and I took an afternoon ride to get a bite to eat, run a few quick errands and see some Missouri and Kansas sights. Not only are champ and Tami feeding and housing me, they’re providing bikes for me to ride. I think I’m going to look into what the laws in Missouri say about adoption.
Today I spent about two thirds of the ride on Champ’s KLR, then, after ice cream , we switched bikes and I rode his GS Adventure.
Champ leads Tami and me to a late lunch.

After lunch, I checked out this cool Willys CJ3A.

It reminded me of my CJ3B back home (‘cept it’s set up better than mine).

Westward, ho!

We zigged. We zagged. We saw some pretty countryside filled with corn and soybeans. And as you can see from the pic above, we enjoyed some elevation changes. ‘Twas hot, though. And ver’, ver’ sunny.

We rode up to the gates of the Jesse James birthplace in Kearney, MO, but it was after closing time. )The Jesse James, not the other one.)
We saw the jail in Leavenworth. (Any of you FFs ever, ahem, lived there?)

We cruised around downtown a bit and found this cool mural.

It’s big. That’s me in the darker T-shirt and CCRyder sporting U of Texas orange.

My gracious hosts. (She's sweet and smart and fun, too -- I can't figure it out, either. Champ probably doesn't have his glasses on, so he probably can't read this small text. )
I asked some skateboard kids to point us to the ice cream shop, and after we went down to see what was shaking at the Dairy Queen (quite a lot, actually – lots of people wanted ice cream), we crossed back into Missouri and headed for chez CCRyder and Tami.
Eastward, ho!

It was a great -- albeit hot -- day with a couple of great people.
Stay tuned,
Chris
Old 07-21-2008, 04:18 AM   #14
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,656
damn land, i dont think you and that bmw ae ment for eachother.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:57 AM   #15
Land OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_strike
damn land, i dont think you and that bmw ae ment for eachother.
Hey, Lucky, we had more than 44,000 lovely, pretty much trouble-free miles in just under two years, so I'm not ready to give up on her yet. Every relationship goes through a rocky patch or three.

Take care,
Chris