User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 06:38 AM   #1
dasrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
TTR125 water in engine

So my son says the other day, "Hey dad, I need to wash my bike since I got it all muddy yesterday."

I say great! He's taking responsibility for his equipment - good! He then asks if getting a little water in the exhaust is alright? I say yeah, just a little splash won't hurt, it'll shoot out when you crank it up.

Well, my "little splash" equals him hooking the waterhose to the exhaust and filling the thing with water!!!

He says it won't crank and the kick starter doesn't work. I give it a shot and realize what's happened. I take out the spark plug and water gushes out. We stand it at 12 o'clock and drain what we can out of the exhaust. We then drain the oil and it's all milky and caramel colored... oh boy.

So short of flushing several quarts of oil through this thing, what else can I do with the bike? It's been through 3 quarts so far and it's getting less milky each time, but still looks contaminated. I've got a gallon of 15w40 rotella I'm (he's) going to put through it next. Should I look at re-ringing the piston? Top end rebuild? I don't mind working on a bike, but I've not done this kind of engine work before.

And yes, the basics of a combustion motor have been explained to the young one.
dasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
refractor
Kick Start Biker

Oddometer: 94
It should be ready to be started and warmed up. Lets hope that you didn't bend the con rod.
refractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,470
Nah, just run it. Keep changing the oil with the cheapest crap you can reasonably get until it clears up. Just make sure you get the engine (oil) hot before draining. Any residual water in the exhaust pipe will also cook out. Just make sure the intake tract is clear of water (air box and gas tank).
Old 07-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Get it nice and hot, and just about all the water should be gone.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
dasrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

update....

We went through 1.25 gallons of Walmart's finest 10w-40 and have gotten the bike to idle pretty well. As far as I can tell all of the water is out of the exhaust and it appears to be mostly out of the oil too.

We took apart the airbox and got the water out of the drain tubes and at the bottom of the airbox chamber.

The bike will crank up fine and idles great. I can crack the throttle just barely and she'll rev a little, any more throttle and she sputters and dies. She idles fine on the sidestand, but sputters and dies if held upright or tipped to the rider's right. Could the carb's have gotten some water in there too?

I've always been an FI guy, this is only the second carb'd bike I've owned and I didn't touch the carbs on the first one. Is there any black magic to removing the bottom half of the carb to inspect for water/clean it out?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,688
Before taking the carb apart, you could try some methyl hydrate in the fuel to dissolve the water blocking the jets. Even if you do take it apart, run some anyway to finish the job.

Sea Foam in the fuel can also help.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM   #7
dasrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just to close out this thread I ended up opening the drain plug at the bottom of the float bowl and letting plenty of water/gas drain on out. I tapped the float bowl a little to make sure nothing else was stuck in there.

I sprayed some carb cleaner on the intake part of the carb and added some seafoam to the gas. Cranked her up and now she runs like a champ!

Thanks for the help everyone with some carb 101.
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM   #8
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,375
Ok, you said to close, but I wanted to let you know my son flooded his KLX110L and rode it with water in the oil for an hour or so, completely over filled due to the water.

I thought the worst, but I drained the oil and started it for a few minutes, drained the oil and started it, several times. The thing runs like nothing happened. The sight glass though seems to be permanently whitish, even though the oil comes out looking brand new, like honey.

I think those little engines were made to run, full of oil, full of water or a mix of mud, gravel and an oil/water mix.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote