User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
tbarstow OP
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,109
G650X Challenge Clutch Cover Bushing Installation

So I have a BMW G650X Challenge that I really enjoy, but hate giving Hans and Franz more money for parts that were not made correctly to begin with. What happens on this bike is the clutch throwout uses the clutch cover as a linear slide bearing to actuate the clutch control mechanism.

Over time, the steel part wears the die cast aluminum cover bore and the clutch then does not disengage properly. The solution from BMW is to buy $400 worth of parts. Or use my tools to put a bronze bushing in the clutch cover and fart in the general direction of BMW.

After getting the parts of the bike, you need to get two bearings out of the cover prior to machining. The 12mm ID bearing at the top is easy to use a bearing puller. The 8mm bearing requires you to make a puller. For this I used an 8mm allen head and repurposed motorcycle chain pin:

Got the little bearing out, but did damage it a bit:

Ebay bearing replacement was $5.

Getting set up to make the bore cut to sleeve my clutch cover:

Boring out the bronze bushing to the correct ID:

I forgot to take photos of the milling of the side of the bushing. Used a " end mill to make the slot for the shaft pass thru.

So back to the boring. After taking ~0.030" out of the bore, you can start to see how worn it was.

A pile of chips later, the bore is about 0.001" undersize for the bushing OD.

Now to fit the finished bushing into the hole and get the slot to line up. Put the bushing in the freezer for 20 minutes:

Clean off the clutch cover and get the chips and residual oil off it. Then boil some water in a frying pan:

Begin cooking your cover:

Check the temperature:

When it nears 100C, pull it out, drop the water out of the bushing hole, then grab the bushing from the freezer and place it. It drops right in with a little push (through the oven mitt) and a quick glance to make sure I lined it up adequately.

The repeat the hot water + freeze trick to install the 8mm bearing and 12mm bearing. Reassemble:

Then come to a hard stop for the evening when the E-clip that goes at the top of the shaft decided to go on vacation somewhere in the shop.....
Old 08-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
eaglescan
Borrego rocks

Oddometer: 51
nice work, I had mine done slightly different, bored the cover right thru to the out side, and installed a headed bushing from there. I never put the circlip back on, and it is fine. The clutch is working better than new.
PS, I am heading south for the winter, staying in Sam's town over thanksgiving. Do you live near there, would love to meet and ride if you want. Steve

eaglescan screwed with this post 08-31-2014 at 09:14 PM
eaglescan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:08 AM   #3
Miguel Pedro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Nice work, thanks for sharing.
Miguel Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:28 AM   #4
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Impressive, Tim! Not knowing metal work as well as you do, I was wondering how do you know the sleeve will never move or rotate. I know the temperatures will stabilize and help hold it in place, but is that enough?

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
tbarstow OP
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,109
Matt - I used an interference fit. The OD of the bushing is bigger than the hole it went into. Both materials have silmilar coefficients of thermal expansion, that's why I heated the cover and froze the bushing.

When the bike heats up, they will both expand about the same amount, leaving the bushing stuck in a hole that is too small for it.

Lots of vehicles have parts that operate using pieces that have been fit up like this.

Interesting note, if you heat up the cover plate to 95C, the bearing drops straight out of it.