User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
DeepBarney OP
Nubile Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Question Need Help With KE100

So I picked up a KE100 off a guy Thursday. It didn't want to idle (clearly clogged pilot jet), so I gave it a pinesol bath for a couple days and re-installed it today. After some tuning and tweeking I had the motor idling and running decent.

So I took it for a short ride. Got about a mile or more out and got up just over 50mph and then the bike started losing power slowly and died. Couldn't get it to restart, had to push it all the way back home (tried to start it several more times along the way to no avail).

So what might cause that? This is my first 2 stroke, and while I ain't clueless about them or how they work I figured I'd seek some help. It smoked plenty (maybe too much?) right up until it lost power then died. The cylinder wasn't/didn't appear to be seized (could still rotate it with the kick start or by moving the bike whilst in gear).

After pushing it back I was seriously unmotivated to work on it just yet, but tomorrow I hope to pull the plug and find a bunch of carbon build up from too much oil being introduced to the motor via the oil injection system (I've read the system is usually set too rich from factory).

Also the blinkers don't work. Any thoughts there?

My spirit guide is Jeremy Clarkson yelling "POWWERRR!!!"

Wherever it is I'm heading, I'll get there somehow, at some point.
DeepBarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:22 AM   #2
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 982
I had one that would foul plugs if it wasn't ridden on the pipe all the time. When I rode it, I didn't have any issues. When I tried to teach a couple people (father and gf) to ride, it would slowly lose power and die.
A new plug made it like new. Check there first.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:45 AM   #3
DeepBarney OP
Nubile Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
I had one that would foul plugs if it wasn't ridden on the pipe all the time. When I rode it, I didn't have any issues. When I tried to teach a couple people (father and gf) to ride, it would slowly lose power and die.
A new plug made it like new. Check there first.
Thanks, that's what I'm hoping. I let it idle and warm up before heading out on it, but through town I certainly wasn't 'on the pipe'.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBarney View Post
Thanks, that's what I'm hoping. I let it idle and warm up before heading out on it, but through town I certainly wasn't 'on the pipe'.
I've heard people say they could putt around on theirs and it wouldn't foul plugs... but, I never messed with my jetting. Maybe, if it's jetted for lugging, it can be done. I'm sure someone around here knows.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
DeepBarney OP
Nubile Adventurer

Well I pulled the plug this morning on my way out the door to work, and it's uniformly dark gray colored all over and kinda oily looking (but not wet oily looking if that makes sense) and there doesn't appear to be any carbon buildup on it. Is this what the plug should look like? I really don't know since its a two smoke.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBarney View Post
Well I pulled the plug this morning on my way out the door to work, and it's uniformly dark gray colored all over and kinda oily looking (but not wet oily looking if that makes sense) and there doesn't appear to be any carbon buildup on it. Is this what the plug should look like? I really don't know since its a two smoke.
check for spark. No spark? get a new plug.

If you're getting spark then you're probably not getting gas. The float plunger can stick if it's gummed up and there is a decent chance that's happening if the pilot was clogged.

I had multiple minor issues bringing mine back to life after it spent several years under a tarp in PO's backyard. I ended up replacing the plug cap, pilot jet, cleaning the float plunger (that one mystified me for a couple weeks - would run briefly, then not. let it sit a day and it would run briefly, then not...), replacing the battery (that got the blinkers working) and every now an dthen I have to jiggle the ignition wires under the key switch.

Funny little bike.
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
Twotrak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I would throw in a new plug first. On two strokes that can make a huge difference even if the old plug looks OK. I bought a KE 100 a few years ago and had the same problem to start with on the pilot jet. It would run with the choke on only. I fixed that and then had problems like you describe. What had happened on mine was that the previous owner had apparently left a tank of gas in the bike for years while the bike sat. It had completely dried up leaving residue inside the tank. I ended up cleaning the tank with solvent and aquarium gravel and a lot of shaking. After cleaning the tank and attaching an in line filter the bike has run fine. These bikes usually aren't ridden much and since they are cheap people just let them sit rather than go through the trouble of selling them. So clogged jets etc. are common. Also, you are right about the oil injector setting. Somewhere I saw that the factory sets them for more oiling during break in. There are instructions on how to check this and reset if needed. But I don't think that would make you stop - just smoke more. Good luck.
Twotrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
DeepBarney OP
Nubile Adventurer

So on my lunch break I pulled the plug again and cleaned it (by the way this is a brand new plug I put in right after I bought it).

In fact before I go on I'll mention it has a new plug, new stone filter installed (PO had one on there that looked OK, but I replaced it anyways (I always replace all such 'tune-up' items whenever I get a new bike), cleaned air filter (was pretty clean to begin with), drained gas and put new fresh gas in (gas in it seemed newer (not varnish smelling yet) but replaced it anyways to be sure, and I thoroughly cleaned the carb (entire disasembly down to each little individual piece and EVERYTHING bathed in Pinesol for 3-4 days then pulled cleaned with water and dawn dish soap and a tooth brush, all little ports purged with air and carb cleaner).

So anyways pulled the plug, clean off the oily residue, check for spark... Boom, got a strong spark dancing. Squirt some brake cleaner down the plug hole, screw the plug back in and put the plug wire back on, and try to start it... Nothing. Engine cycles easy as it should, but not even a cough.

So I'm swinging by the auto parts store to borrow a compression tester tonight. Dear god please let it read high.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #9
DeepBarney OP
Nubile Adventurer

Oh yeah an brand new battery in it. There are two little wires hanging from the harness near the front of the bike. They've been unplugged from something, can't see what, but I'll pull the tank and look some more after work. May post some pictures for reference.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #10
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

In case of bad news, the good news is a top end job on one of these bikes is about as easy as it gets.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #11
DeepBarney OP
Nubile Adventurer

So what's the proper way to do a compression test? I held the throttle wide open and kicked 10 or so times, dial read just shy of 60, which ain't good. I'm hoping I forgot something or did it wrong. I just really don't want to believe this bike which was perfectly fine before, warmed up properly, and then ridden no more than 3 miles has lost compression due to rings or whatever the hell these things have. It smoked plenty so I'm sure it was getting oil to it, I just don't see how this happened.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #12
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

before you do any more kicking I would take the pipe off and peek in the exhaust manifold. You'll get to see the exhaust side of the piston and the intake side of the cylinder.

Then if you get ambitious it's just 4 nuts and the head and barrel come off.

Gaskets and everything else readily available on fleabay.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #13
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

actually before you do all that you might want to throw a wrench on those head nuts just for giggles. You never know, something could have loosened.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #14
DeepBarney OP
Nubile Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanory View Post
before you do any more kicking I would take the pipe off and peek in the exhaust manifold. You'll get to see the exhaust side of the piston and the intake side of the cylinder.

Then if you get ambitious it's just 4 nuts and the head and barrel come off.

Gaskets and everything else readily available on fleabay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanory View Post
actually before you do all that you might want to throw a wrench on those head nuts just for giggles. You never know, something could have loosened.
Thanks I'll check all those. Anything in particular I should be looking at/for? And what's torque specs on the head?

Old 09-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #15
DeepBarney OP
Nubile Adventurer

Just pulled the exhaust. The piston is DEEPLY scarred...

Well shit... That threw a MASSIVE wrench in my plan. Was planning to take this bike back to KS this weekend and use it to take the test to get my motorcycle license (yeah, I'm just now trying to get it, I haven't needed it until recently as I've always just road dirt).

DeepBarney screwed with this post 09-02-2014 at 10:51 PM