User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2015, 08:44 AM   #1
keeponriding OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
XT225 - Am I nuts???

2004, added a 4.5 gallon gas tank, windshield, extended pegs and 16 tooth counter shaft sprocket, for better RPMs at higher speeds. I can get it over 65, but don't like to for fear of asking too much of that engine.

Fun bike to ride and my normal circuit can be anywhere from 150 to 250 miles combination of on and off road. Though....I'm really interested in exploring roads further away, like 3 hrs of riding away....which I'm afraid may tax that little XT engine too much....I could take surface two lanes, but then the trip just gets that much longer.

Am I nuts to consider replacing the XT with a Triumph Scrambler? Why? Well, capable of getting on the freeway, yet still riding able to handle off road.

BTW: I've a 30 inch inseam...so KLRs, WRs are out of the question.

Anthony
Old 04-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
CuzinMike
Treedragger

Oddometer: 307
Well, your sig line says you already own a Super Tenere, and I have serious doubts that the Scrambler would handle off road as well it does. Scramblers are neat bikes for sure, but they aren't known for being great in the dirt unless you throw a lot of money at the suspension.

It sounds to me like a DR650 with a low seat and lowering links would be about perfect for your purposes.

CuzinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
keeponriding OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah....the XT is my 2nd bike.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #4
mlap5150
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I never considered the XT to be highway capable. The speedo shows red at 55 for a reason. I topped mine out once at 73 mph but she was screaming.

I suppose a 16T front would help a bit but I wouldn't sustain 60+ for a significant amount of time. IMO, stick to the 2 way highways if possible.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
everready
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Sounds like you need a DR 350 to me. Mine came with the 441 kit and a Clarke tank. I just installed a bicycle computer to add an additional trip meter.
I love that bike.
I have a 30" inseam too. It's is a bit tall but manageable.
I can do 300 mile days on it but I don't take it on the interstate.

Al
Old 04-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
Bikedude987
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
put reasonable tires on the Tenere (I like shinko 804/805) and ride it like it's meant to!
Bikedude987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
County 2 lanes @ 55-65 mph, no problem. Interstate highways @ 65-75 mph, pass.

I 2nd the DR650 in the lower configuration if you plan on many high speed highway miles. And also agree that a Scrambler misses the mark if you have a Super Tenere. Aren't those tall, I don't get it unless for someone else????

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #8
keeponriding OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the comments;

Tenere's are great for long distance riding and 80/20 riding...they do not do well on high passes, or some of the mtn gravel/dirt roads here in KY. The bike was fine when I rode the CDR a few years ago in WY and CO.

The gravel/dirt roads here in KY lend themselves to a smaller/lighter bike, Hence, the XT225, which has performed just fine...and, I can get it on the freeway, for maybe 5 miles (and there are times, I have to if only to cross rivers or avoid long, boring roads through cities) or so.

The KY adventure trail is 3 to 5 hours away....there are parts I would take the Ten; other parts I wouldn't. Riding to those parts (or gnarly parts of the TAT) is so far, that 2 lanes just add hours to the trip.

The Scrambler was intended to replace the XT to allow me to freeway to some of those roads, while also being smaller/lighter for those roads the Ten is not well suited for.

Plus..there are times it is just fun to ride a smaller bike. I'll ride the same roads on the XT that I rode on the Ten and it's a completely different experience.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #9
Gobius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
I rode my buddy's Scrambler once. It felt slow, heavy, and ponderous. I understand that people are into the retro styling and heritage of it, and that's great, but I didn't think it was fun to ride. And I don't think it would be very good off road.

A DR650 with a low gel seat is what you're looking for. I am about your size and had one for a few years. Wish I hadn't sold it.
Gobius is offline   Reply With Quote