Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #151
Dewtwo
old trail rider!

Oddometer: 63
Yes, thanks Seth, and good job! I want to try akra remap for my 690e w/ LV pipe. Got to get my dealer to beg, borrow, or steal a KTM diag. machine. He doesn't want to buy one. I have the only FI KTM they ever sold.
Dewtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:03 PM   #152
Armadillofz1
Retarded Motardian

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewtwo
Hi Armadillo,
Thanks for info. My dealer did get map from his KTM dealer website. But does not have the diag. tool. His rep. told him $700 for the unit. May be a couple of different units to be had. My dealer said he may try to borrow, or rent from another dealer to remap my 690e. You seem to be more knowledgeable than most of our dealers. So, if you don't mind, feed us any info. on EFI and mapping. This stuff is a mistery to us old carb. and jets guys.
yeah, the old DIA was 800 bux i think new. ktm is offereing a $750 buyback on the old unit to ofset the $2250 pricetag on the new superfancy hoitytoity fangled new one. The old DIA tool is particularly user un-friendly, i hope the new one is a bit better.

I'm not a big FI guy, give me a flatslide anyday. I get to work on these things everyday. so i might pick up a thing or two from time to time (only when my brain cooperates).
Old 10-14-2008, 12:32 AM   #153
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,048
Wow Seth! You are really smart! I haven't heard the word stoichiometric in some time :)

Serioiiusly that was really helpful! Thanks!

Rick
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:35 AM   #154
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,048
Armadillo - nothing to do with exhaust, but my bike broke down riding across America in Texas. It turns over great but wont start, like there is no gas. It is throwing the 41 code "check fuel pump control".

The dealer doesn't have the diagnostic tool and I don't know of one around here who does. Is that something that would identify that problem?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:22 AM   #155
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKN4DRT
Thanks Seth...very easy to understand. What are the possibilities of modifing the injector,fuel pump or sensors to provide for richer burn beyond the parameters of the map? In effect isn't that what the pc is doing?
Doing this is like blinding throwing a bigger jet in your carb. It may work but the odds are much better that the bike will run like crap and little or no performance gain will be realized. You have to be careful swapping components around in an EFI system because if you put an aftermarket injector in there and the resistance is wrong you risk letting the smoke out of your computer.

I would bet that the stock system has a pretty good range of tuneability before you need to start changing out components. I mean my bike makes plenty of power with the stock settings and even the stock exhaust. My only complaint with the stock exhaust is the heat from the cat converter.

If you start changing your cams, engine displacement, exhaust, ignition etc then you might need to go to a different injector size but I don't know of many people who will be doing this.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #156
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,742
I notified LV about the reports some have had with power loss and that some had had good gains. LV is willing to get a bike dynoed to see what's happening with the mapping and get it sorted out, anyone in the SF bay area that has an SBK on their 690 and is willing to give up their bike for a day please contact me. I only need one bike and unfortunately my bike won't cut it because I'm running an X3 not an SBK.

We'll post results when done..
Old 10-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #157
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
Doing this is like blinding throwing a bigger jet in your carb. It may work but the odds are much better that the bike will run like crap and little or no performance gain will be realized. You have to be careful swapping components around in an EFI system because if you put an aftermarket injector in there and the resistance is wrong you risk letting the smoke out of your computer.

I would bet that the stock system has a pretty good range of tuneability before you need to start changing out components. I mean my bike makes plenty of power with the stock settings and even the stock exhaust. My only complaint with the stock exhaust is the heat from the cat converter.

If you start changing your cams, engine displacement, exhaust, ignition etc then you might need to go to a different injector size but I don't know of many people who will be doing this.

+1 Seth.

I ride mine with the stock exhaust, with the ignition map on the standard setting. The bike runs great. It is a little soft on bottom, but this motor is not a lowend torque machine. The soft bottom may actaually be a plus in tight technical stuff, not too much hit. I ride some pretty tight trails and have not even bothered to gear down, I don't feel it is needed. I think I would run out of turning radius way before I run out of low gears.

I am waiting on an FMF, due to price mostly. I just want to lose the weight and heat as well. If FMF fails to deliver I may look into the Wings. It is a sexy piece of harware for sure.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #158
ravine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
I notified LV about the reports some have had with power loss and that some had had good gains. LV is willing to get a bike dynoed to see what's happening with the mapping and get it sorted out, anyone in the SF bay area that has an SBK on their 690 and is willing to give up their bike for a day please contact me. I only need one bike and unfortunately my bike won't cut it because I'm running an X3 not an SBK.

We'll post results when done..
James, I'm still willing to loan my 690E to LV for testing. Also, a recent Akra re-map plus some tweaking seems to have stopped the stalling. Email me for more details.
ravine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:16 PM   #159
Sobiloff
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
I notified LV about the reports some have had with power loss and that some had had good gains. LV is willing to get a bike dynoed to see what's happening with the mapping and get it sorted out, anyone in the SF bay area that has an SBK on their 690 and is willing to give up their bike for a day please contact me.
Can do if someone can loan/give me an LV.
Sobiloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #160
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrnewbie
Can do if someone can loan/give me an LV.
Only if you change your name over to KTM newbie
Actually I got a few responses so we should be good to go, thanks for the sacrificial offer..
Old 10-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #161
Lumpyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Wings pipe is superb. No remap necessary. Bike runs at same temps as with stocker.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #162
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,759
Well, got my bike back from SMS Racing. Put the LV can on last night did the battery disconnect and let it idle for 15 minutes. This morning I went for a 100 mile ride. Mostly pavement a little off road. About half the pavement was city riding with a bit of stop and go stuff. My seat of the pants dyno tells me it has more power down low. It does 3rd gear roll on wheelies with ease even with my fat arse on her. Hardly any heat coming off the can which is the main reason I bought the thing so I have to say I'm very happy in that department. It's louder then the stocker, but it's not any louder then my 450 EXC with the stock de-restricted pipe. It's considerably lighter then the stocker. I like the fact that the LV emblem isn't stuck on. I prefer the clean look of no logo on it so I'm leaving that off. I did have it stall on me once as I was pulling into my driveway. Gonna do another couple hundred miles this afternoon. Should have a good feel for it by then. So far though I have to say I'm really happy with it.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #163
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,562

Used to have the SBK with the Akro map

Pro's: Better power everywhere, bike ran smoother (less vibration), cooler running, noticeable weight difference.

Con's: Too loud

I'm back to the stock pipe with the stock map - I just cannot live with a pipe that loud.

P.S. Anyone want a pipe PM me: $250.00
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #164
SkyPup
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMo

Used to have the SBK with the Akro map

Pro's: Better power everywhere, bike ran smoother (less vibration), cooler running, noticeable weight difference.

Con's: Too loud

I'm back to the stock pipe with the stock map - I just cannot live with a pipe that loud.

P.S. Anyone want a pipe PM me: $250.00
I modded my 2008 690 Enduro with the Leo Vince SBK pipe to cut down the sound output by 50-60% and eliminate the low end transition stalling problems. Works great now.

The OEM can was just wayyyyy wayyyy wayyy TOO HOT.

Here is a link to the successful $0.99 mod:

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=310533
SkyPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #165
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,759
Put a couple hundred more miles on it and have had it stall on me a hlaf dozen times. Gonna try SkyPups mod and see if that cures it. If not, then I'll go get the Akro map.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote