Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #166
madatter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpyboy
Wings pipe is superb. No remap necessary. Bike runs at same temps as with stocker.
Wings is an awesome pipe!!!
Great sound(with the larger silent insert in),lose a bunch of weight and it puurtee too!
Oh and no stalling problems,no re-map either.
For some extra $$$ as compared to all the unhappy loud pipe guys it's more than worth it!
madatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #167
Dewtwo
old trail rider!

Oddometer: 63
Dangit, I rode 70 or 80 mls. on the 690e with new LV pipe w/o remapping, and it just doesn't have the power. Nearest dealer that can remap is 180 mls.away. Sooo, guys, 2 questions. What can I honestly expect with the remap & LV? Will I still have optional map settings, or just one new setting?
LV looks tough, lighter, less vibs., and wayyyy cooler!
Today, I put stock nuclear reactor back on to retain power. Power is back, and HEAT TOO!
Dewtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #168
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,743
I've seen some 690's with stock exhaust needing mapping so it's not surprising that adding an aftermarket pipe requires mapping.
Those who have added an aftermarket pipe and your bike is running good, well that's great!

Adding an aftermarket does a few things well, it lowers the operating temperature which is important, this helps prolong engine life.
It allows the bike to perform better when tuned properly, reduces the heat and saves some weight.

Catalized exhaust's are quiet no doubt but they generate heat.
If you want quiet then an aftermarket may not be the wise choice, sure you can choke down an aftermarket and you could also take the cats out of the OEM. Either way one has to determine what is paramount when setting up their bike.

The LV pipes are very well made and I would put them on par with Akrapovic.
The SBK line is aluminum which is slightly heavier then the Ti Akra but not by much.

If anyone has bought a pipe from me and needs the quieter inserts, I have 3 on the shelf available, they look like the one pictured below.
Btw, LV will be doing the dyno this week and we'll get a chance to compare notes.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #169
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,766
Hey James, I'd like one of the inserts. How much are they?
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #170
Dewtwo
old trail rider!

Hi James,
Want to run a thought by you and any tuner wise guys out there. Once again, my 690e w/ LV pipe has a very flat mid-range (example, it can barely pull 6th gear at 4500 rpm) and, it is very strong with stock pipe. It is worse with LV unrestricted so I went with bd reducer and spark arrestor for max. back-pressure (still much less restricted than stock) still not good power though. SOOO... what I wonder, do you suppose it is simply a back-pressure issue. Or, could it be other design eliments causing this. If its b-p, We can create b-p (friend does custom car exhaust, he can fabricate anything) I truely like this LV pipe (looks, light, less vibes, COOLER). I'm considering this option over remap, because I'd like to retain adjustable power settings. With Akro. remap, I believe I'll loose adjustability. What do you smart guys think?
P.S. Did 65 mls. on/off rd. today, weehaa!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #171
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
Hey James, I'd like one of the inserts. How much are they?
Gratis, on it's way via USPS.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #172
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewtwo
Hi James,
Want to run a thought by you and any tuner wise guys out there. Once again, my 690e w/ LV pipe has a very flat mid-range (example, it can barely pull 6th gear at 4500 rpm) and, it is very strong with stock pipe. It is worse with LV unrestricted so I went with bd reducer and spark arrestor for max. back-pressure (still much less restricted than stock) still not good power though. SOOO... what I wonder, do you suppose it is simply a back-pressure issue. Or, could it be other design eliments causing this. If its b-p, We can create b-p (friend does custom car exhaust, he can fabricate anything) I truely like this LV pipe (looks, light, less vibes, COOLER). I'm considering this option over remap, because I'd like to retain adjustable power settings. With Akro. remap, I believe I'll loose adjustability. What do you smart guys think?
P.S. Did 65 mls. on/off rd. today, weehaa!!!
All I can tell you is that the more you restrict it, the closer it gets to the stock one which is overly restricted, which in turn is why it runs better.
Despite LV's claims that no mapping is needed, I'm learning that it's imperative.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #173
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
All I can tell you is that the more you restrict it, the closer it gets to the stock one which is overly restricted, which in turn is why it runs better.
Despite LV's claims that no mapping is needed, I'm learning that it's imperative.
Has anyone tried aftermarket headers like the FMF Power Bomb to see inprovement on low end.
Biped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:36 AM   #174
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Gratis, on it's way via USPS.
James, if you have another, put it in the box when you ship my seat back and thanks!
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:53 AM   #175
SkyPup
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wink

Quote:
I've seen some 690's with stock exhaust needing mapping so it's not surprising that adding an aftermarket pipe requires mapping.
Those who have added an aftermarket pipe and your bike is running good, well that's great!

Adding an aftermarket does a few things well, it lowers the operating temperature which is important, this helps prolong engine life.
It allows the bike to perform better when tuned properly, reduces the heat and saves some weight.

Catalized exhaust's are quiet no doubt but they generate heat.
If you want quiet then an aftermarket may not be the wise choice, sure you can choke down an aftermarket and you could also take the cats out of the OEM. Either way one has to determine what is paramount when setting up their bike.

The LV pipes are very well made and I would put them on par with Akrapovic.
The SBK line is aluminum which is slightly heavier then the Ti Akra but not by much.

If anyone has bought a pipe from me and needs the quieter inserts, I have 3 on the shelf available, they look like the one pictured below.
Btw, LV will be doing the dyno this week and we'll get a chance to compare notes.

thanks for posting that, I'm going to make a couple for myself with the plasma cutter this weekend.
SkyPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:06 AM   #176
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,766
Quote:
Well, you have to figure if you really didn't need to re-map it, you aren't getting any performance improvement. I will admit though, that wasn't my objective in switching. I just got tired of burning and melting crap on the stock can. Thanks for the insert.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #177
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Biped, yes I'm running akra headers.

Dirtjack, consider done.

Skypup, lemme know if you need a template.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:37 PM   #178
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

OK, LV had a chance to dyno a 690 and results are listed below.

Basically the bikes are way lean from the gate, adding an aftermarket pipe and mapping will cure most of the problems people are having.
Although LV claimed no mapping necassary, it's a must to achieve best performance. Doesn't matter what aftermarket pipe you decide on, you still need to make the EFI happy by mapping.
Akra has a map software that works and the LV guys in the bay area are using a recalibrated version of Power Commander.

So wether you decide to keep your stock can or add some performance enhancements, get your bike checked for best performance.

Here's the Dyno minus air box lid..

Old 10-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #179
Rednut
Orange Bike, Orange nut

Oddometer: 21
Wings and a Mapping

I am running the wings and the Akra map given to dealers on my 690. It worked well for a while but has been giving me the usual problems lately that other are getting. I have changed the iridium spark plug for a regular one and cleaned the O2 sensor. It seems a little better but not ripping my arms out like it has before.

Its off to the dealer next week but I'm not expecting them to find anything wrong. It seems like this could be a F.O.M (feature of model) for this bike.

Will let you know what they say.....
Rednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:30 AM   #180
Dewtwo
old trail rider!

James, I suppose that was a valliant effort for LV to dyno a pipe with a totally custom and unavailable mapping w/ no filter lid. But, I only have access to the Akro. remap, and I don't want my filter that unprotected. So, as far as most of us are concerned, that dyno info is not any practical use. What I need to know before I take the nearly 400 mile round trip to get Akro. map is..... What will I have with the LV, Akro map, and stock air. LV needs to step to the plate with some info/help, cause this thing runs bad with just the LV. I am by no means dumping on you James, your the only guy I know of in any position to get help. As I've said before, I really want to get this pipe dialed in(sounds great, light, looks, cooler, less vibes). Thanks again, David