Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2008, 07:32 AM   #181
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewtwo
James, I suppose that was a valliant effort for LV to dyno a pipe with a totally custom and unavailable mapping w/ no filter lid. But, I only have access to the Akro. remap, and I don't want my filter that unprotected. So, as far as most of us are concerned, that dyno info is not any practical use. What I need to know before I take the nearly 400 mile round trip to get Akro. map is..... What will I have with the LV, Akro map, and stock air. LV needs to step to the plate with some info/help, cause this thing runs bad with just the LV. I am by no means dumping on you James, your the only guy I know of in any position to get help. As I've said before, I really want to get this pipe dialed in(sounds great, light, looks, cooler, less vibes). Thanks again, David
Doesn't matter if it's an Akrapovic mapping software, the computer will sort the bike out regardless what pipe your using.

LV took the initiative to modify a Power Commander as this is what they had at their disposal, the dyno is to show the bikes potential. The owner of the bike modified his airbox and LV worked with it, an option you don't have to do to yours.

As I mentioned in the post above, the bike will need to get mapped regardless of what pipe you use, feedback from those who have done this have been very positive.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:52 AM   #182
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
James, I suppose that was a valliant effort for LV to dyno a pipe with a totally custom and unavailable mapping w/ no filter lid. But, I only have access to the Akro. remap, and I don't want my filter that unprotected. So, as far as most of us are concerned, that dyno info is not any practical use. What I need to know before I take the nearly 400 mile round trip to get Akro. map is..... What will I have with the LV, Akro map, and stock air. LV needs to step to the plate with some info/help, cause this thing runs bad with just the LV. I am by no means dumping on you James, your the only guy I know of in any position to get help. As I've said before, I really want to get this pipe dialed in(sounds great, light, looks, cooler, less vibes). Thanks again, David
You don't seem to understand what's going on. That map just shows you the potential of the bike. It also shows you how restricted the stock pipe is and how lean the bike runs right out of the box. First things first, if you're expecting to get a generic map that's gonna make your bike get the optimum performance you're sadly mistaken. No two bikes with the exact same equipment are the same and the ONLY way you're gonna achieve that is through a custom map. There's a reason there are so many tuners out there. Regardless of WHICH exhaust you have, and that includes the stock one, they will all benefit greatly from custom mapping, of course the problem right now is, companies like Dynojet aren't making FI modules for the 690's. Until they do we're stuck. That's what is really needed, not some ball park map.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #183
Dewtwo
old trail rider!

Oddometer: 82
Albie, before you assume that I don't understand engine tuning. My simple 690 reality is, I purchased a pipe that the manufacturer claims no remapping required. But, the bike has a major power loss throughout the entire low-mid range. This is because, as we both know, the efi/ecu does not have the program versitility to achieve a rich enough mix (possible ignition curve issues as well). My problen lies in the reality that I have ONLY 2 options available to me, stock, and Akrapovic's map. That's it!!!!!... Stock is not working for me...
Will the Akra?...
Unfortunately, Dyno-jet and their fancy tuning equip. are not down the street from me. My options are;.. stock pipe, LV pipe, stock map, or Akra. map. I really want this nuclear reactor off my bike. "Ball park" Akra. map is my tuning option (w/ the pipe) for now. Simple!
Dewtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:43 PM   #184
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 297
Air Fuel Ratio's

I have found an interesting website about AFR and O2 sensors. Not sure if this can provide insight into the lean running 690 with aftermarket pipes.
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/Pro_tuning.htm , http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/h...olt_divide.htm

On this site they talk about using a voltage devider inline with the O2 sensor to fool the EFI into running a little richer without needing to re-map. While this is not a good idea with the stock cat converter it may provide a simple low cost solution for mod'ed pipes.
Biped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:42 AM   #185
Dewtwo
old trail rider!

Good find Biped,
Maybe someone living near Oldsmar FL with a 690 can go beat on there door, loan them a bike, a see if they want to make an AFR enrichment device for us. I emailed them and told them your on your way!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #186
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
Unfortunately, Dyno-jet and their fancy tuning equip. are not down the street from me. My options are;.. stock pipe, LV pipe, stock map, or Akra. map. I really want this nuclear reactor off my bike. "Ball park" Akra. map is my tuning option (w/ the pipe) for now. Simple!
Guess it sucks to live where you do. There's more then a dozen dealers/tuner shops around here with Dyno's. Without a dyno no one will ever be able to tune ANY bike correctly. These days, with the complex electronic systems that bikes use, there's no excuse for a dealershi to NOT have a dyno.

Of course, none of us 690 owners are ever gonna get a correct map until someone comes out with an FI module so that we can get our bikes tuned correctly.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #187
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Quote:
My problen lies in the reality that I have ONLY 2 options available to me, stock, and Akrapovic's map. That's it!!!!!... Stock is not working for me...
Will the Akra?...
Yes it should work just peachy. Too bad you have to drive so far to get this done.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #188
Hooked
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Wings Pictures

It would be a great help if a WINGS owner could post some photos of the exhaust can to header connection and the bracket for the heat shield. I have a Wings from my 2002 640 I would like to reuse ,unless i can get someone to buy it from me. The signal light melting looks like a issue too.
Thanks for the Help.
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #189
Dewtwo
old trail rider!

May have something here!!!

I have emailed the company Nightrider that reader Biped turned us on to (a few posts back, check it out). A gentleman named Stephen Mullen returned my email with a very willing response to try to help us get better air/fuel mix in much the same way they do for FI Harleys. He needs a 690 and rider to test with. So, anyone in the Tampa area w/ a 690 who would like to help with the lean FI issues such as stalling and bad performance with easy breathing pipe and airbox, please contact: Stephen Mullen at SPMullen LLC,
www.nightrider.com
727 420-0896
Any members of the supermoto sites, please pass this on.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:22 AM   #190
Bong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
James, thanks for sending the insert for the LV pipe...bike has more low end torque (butt dyno) and more importantly lower db level and sounds tons better! Will have a dealer do the re-map when I bring her in for her 600 mile service.
Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #191
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
OK, LV had a chance to dyno a 690 and results are listed below.

Basically the bikes are way lean from the gate, adding an aftermarket pipe and mapping will cure most of the problems people are having.
Although LV claimed no mapping necassary, it's a must to achieve best performance. Doesn't matter what aftermarket pipe you decide on, you still need to make the EFI happy by mapping.
Akra has a map software that works and the LV guys in the bay area are using a recalibrated version of Power Commander.

So wether you decide to keep your stock can or add some performance enhancements, get your bike checked for best performance.

Here's the Dyno minus air box lid..

I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying James. The blue graph is using LV SBK with Akra map (installed via Power Commander) and red graph is LV SBK without Akra map? The 7 hp gain at 4683 is pretty substantial, but peak power seems low based on what I remember reading the 690 could do. However, I can't find that reference now, so maybe I'm remembering something which never existed.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:51 PM   #192
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack
I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying James. The blue graph is using LV SBK with Akra map (installed via Power Commander) and red graph is LV SBK without Akra map? The 7 hp gain at 4683 is pretty substantial, but peak power seems low based on what I remember reading the 690 could do. However, I can't find that reference now, so maybe I'm remembering something which never existed.
No Akra map was used, just a modified Power Commander to be able to map.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #193
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
No Akra map was used, just a modified Power Commander to be able to map.
So they just richened the map or what?
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #194
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,283
The claimed hp of the 690 is either 62 or 63 hp....I can't remember which. However, I suspect this rating is off of the crank VS at the rear wheel. If you are putting the bike on the Dyno then the hp in the graph will be off of the rear wheel which will be less then that of the engine. There are losses through the gearbox, the chain, the wheel etc. In a car 20% loss is not uncommon...not sure what a good assumption is for a bike.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #195
trailhawg
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question fmf Q4.1 titanium

Can anyone give any feedback on the fmf Q4.1 titanium. The price is only $339 on ebay.

THanks!
trailhawg is offline   Reply With Quote