User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #196
Rednut
Orange Bike, Orange nut

Oddometer: 21
Oxy sensor

I ran the bike today with a air to fuel ratio sensor in the exhaust. The bike is loaded with the dealer Akro map and a Wings exhaust.

The bike runs rich at idle and and any rpm when the revs a held steady. When the motor is rev'd quickly it shoots back to a lean ratio. This shows the bike is starving for fuel when accelerating hard.

With the standard map it was a little better but still not right.

I think there is an issue with either the O2 or tps sensors on these bikes. It will be at the dealers tomorrow and I hope their gizmo can check these sensors to fix the problem. Ducati had a bad run of tps sensors on early 999's, water had gotten in and corroded it causing it to stick.
Rednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #197
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednut
I ran the bike today with a air to fuel ratio sensor in the exhaust. The bike is loaded with the dealer Akro map and a Wings exhaust.

The bike runs rich at idle and and any rpm when the revs a held steady. When the motor is rev'd quickly it shoots back to a lean ratio. This shows the bike is starving for fuel when accelerating hard.
When you release the throttle from high RPM then the SAS kicks clean air into the exhaust outlet to burn all available fuel in the pipe. This will give you a lean reading on AFR taken in the muffler while decelerating. Is this what you are seeing. Or is it leaning out from idle to WOT as you open the throttle before you let go.

From what I have read the same system is on the 990 and 950 and is mosly related to emissions control. On the later bikes you could do a needle and jet adjustment and remove the SA, no so with the EFI on the 690 without a new map.
Biped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:52 AM   #198
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhawg
Can anyone give any feedback on the fmf Q4.1 titanium. The price is only $339 on ebay.

THanks!

I like mine (a lot). Reasonably quiet until you wick it, and then it barks. My seat-o-the-pants dyno says the bike runs stronger everywhere. Much more fun to ride than with the stock reactor. And it's about 4,000 pounds lighter. Ok, maybe that's a slight exaggeration, it just feels like it.

I thought the bike might have been running a bit hotter at first, but it's fine.

I didn't re-map, just disconnected the battery and did the 15 minute idle.

I had two problems: 1) I needed a clamp that wasn't included with the pipe; 2) I had to run to the hw store for a nut because the rear mount wasn't threaded.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #199
Rednut
Orange Bike, Orange nut

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biped
When you release the throttle from high RPM then the SAS kicks clean air into the exhaust outlet to burn all available fuel in the pipe. This will give you a lean reading on AFR taken in the muffler while decelerating. Is this what you are seeing. Or is it leaning out from idle to WOT as you open the throttle before you let go.

From what I have read the same system is on the 990 and 950 and is mosly related to emissions control. On the later bikes you could do a needle and jet adjustment and remove the SA, no so with the EFI on the 690 without a new map.

It is leaning out from Idle to WOT. Also, I'm not sure we run the same emissions gear as the US models. The Australian units are the same as Euro spec bikes. Maybe a piggy back unit like Dynojet will be needed? Strange how almost every other fuel injected road bike can handle a slip-on exhaust and not suffer the problems seen here though. sure they need a re-map for best results, bt they don't lose power and stall all the time.
Rednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #200
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,280
Well, I put the insert that James sent me for the LV. It stopped my stalling problems, made it quieter, and reduced the power a tad (feels about the way it did with the stock pipe). I don't mind the trade off with the loss of the power considering the gains of not stalling and the noise reduction. As I've said before, I mainly wanted to get rid of that stupid nuclear reactor hot stock can.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:47 PM   #201
Dewtwo
old trail rider!

Oddometer: 59
690 FI help possibly on way!

I have been talking with, and emailing a gentleman in FL named Steve Mullen, who is an FI engineer. He has been designing, building fuel injection systems for over 35 yrs. He owns a company that amoung other things, they do O2 sensor upgrades to achieve improved air/fuel ratios on FI motorcycles. He has been in touch with a friend of his at the EPA "(a hard core rider)". This man at the EPA told Steve he would forward info. on testing various intake and exhaust configurations of the 690. Steve may use this info. in designing an O2 sensor upgrade for the 690. What he needs is a 690 owner near Tampa, FL to provide a test unit. I am confident from my conversations with this man, he could be a big help with our stalling, hot running, and after market pipe issues. If you are near this man, contact him at www.performance@nightrider.com or (727) 420-0896
Dewtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:00 PM   #202
habanero
Multistradler & LC4player

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhawg
Can anyone give any feedback on the fmf Q4.1 titanium. The price is only $339 on ebay.

THanks!
I have one, I like it a lot....

The bike has a bit more snap to it, I can definitely feel the drop in weight....
nice sound, not too loud...but a really nice braaaaap when you get on it. My riding buddies say it's a great sound from behind, when I get on it.

My idle takes a bit longer to drop down when I come to a stop, but, I plan to have the Akro map downloaded whn I take the bike in for a couple of warranty items.
'08 KTM 690 SMC

habanero screwed with this post 10-29-2008 at 07:13 PM
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #203
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by habanero
I have one, I like it a lot....

The bike has a bit more snap to it, I can definitely feel the drop in weight....
nice sound, not too loud...but a really nice braaaaap when you get on it. My riding buddies say it's a great sounds from behind, when I get on it.

My idle takes a bit longer to drop down when I come to a stop, but, I plan to have the Akro map downloaded whn I take the bike in for a couple of warranty items.
Mine has that high idle at stop signs as well. Stock mapping and muffler. It is intermittent and annoying as hell.

I am glad to see the FMF is finally available. I was gonna go Wings if the FMF didn't show up. I will have to get my dealer to get me the FMF now.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:43 AM   #204
bultaco89
n00b

Oddometer: 0
Wings exhaust

Just wondering anyone that has installed a Wings exhaust to their 690 did you mount the elbow so that it turned out or turned up? I put mine on so that it pointed out and it immediately melted my signal light. Had made it through 1200 km's with the stock pipe without melting (did the mod someone suggested putting little pieces of wire in the grooves of the signal light stock) but it didn't survive the way I mounted the Wings. Other than that I am pleased with the new pipe. No remap and it seems to be running great.
Nice rumble too!!

Rhett
bultaco89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:36 AM   #205
KTM BIGGER
n00b

Oddometer: 0
Akro front exhaust

Has anybody installed the front end from akro and how much difference was there?
KTM BIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:18 PM   #206
gar
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Installed the FMF Q4 Ti slip-on. Did the battery disconnect/15 min. idle. Bike runs perfectly. Sound is nice, very slight increase in noise but not much over the stock one. A lot more torque out of the corners and more responsive throughout the rpm range.
gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:53 PM   #207
MyOtherZ
When's the next ride???

Oddometer: 5
FMF Installed

FMF Rear Iso view
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2008, 08:55 PM   #208
MyOtherZ
When's the next ride???

Oddometer: 5