FMF Front view
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2008, 09:18 PM   #212
MyOtherZ
When's the next ride???

Oddometer: 5
FMF Installed

FMF Q4 Ti Review

First and foremost...it does not get as hot as the stocker!

I was concerned about giving up the stealthiness of the stock exhaust since I leave my house at times very early in the morning -- no problem here -- the idle is only slightly louder with a throater rumble. When you twist the throttle it blatz with authority just like a large bore 4 stroke thumper should. Once it's at cruzin' speed it is not very much louder -- I am very pleased with the sound!!!

Performance...I couldn't tell a huge difference -- seems to breath a little easier, no overheating problems, it may rev a little faster and hit a little harder (#3 map setting during the test ride).

I did the 15 min idle ritual, and yes the bike did stall on me once during the first 5 miles (coasting to a stop sign). After that one incident it ran solid.

I removed the decals to keep the stock look and used high temp silicone as suggested. The install was a no brainer -- even a Caveman could do it!

MyOtherZ screwed with this post 11-01-2008 at 07:46 AM
MyOtherZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:39 PM   #213
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOtherZ
FMF Left side
It looks longer than stock?

I think the Wings and Akro are the sexiest ones, but they should be for the price. I guess I am gonna go FMF due to price alone.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:15 AM   #214
mad dog driver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Bigborefan

I have an almost new LV I will let you have for $250.00. No damage with about 6 total miles on it.
mad dog driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #215
myblubeemer
JWAT

Oddometer: 453
Hmmm.....when you say the "elbow" I assume you are talking about the short piece of pipe between the stock pipe and the Wings exhaust?? I mounted mine in what looked like the only way it would go so that all the shields would line up ok. Mine DOES bake the turn signal, even with the wedge washer from KTM installed. I am debating on what to do for a permanent fix. Any ideas are welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bultaco89
Just wondering anyone that has installed a Wings exhaust to their 690 did you mount the elbow so that it turned out or turned up? I put mine on so that it pointed out and it immediately melted my signal light. Had made it through 1200 km's with the stock pipe without melting (did the mod someone suggested putting little pieces of wire in the grooves of the signal light stock) but it didn't survive the way I mounted the Wings. Other than that I am pleased with the new pipe. No remap and it seems to be running great.
Nice rumble too!!

Rhett

"I'm not sure what I do all day, but it takes me all day to do it!"
myblubeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #216
bultaco89
n00b

Oddometer: 0
One thought I had was to fab up a new top mounting tab that would drop the pipe an inch or so. I don' t really want to switch to the aftermarket signal lights.
bultaco89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #217
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Thumb FMF Q4 Ti

I've had the Q4 mounted for a couple of weeks now. Today I had a good chance to wring it out . 160 miles of twisties and a bunch of stop signs . Temps below freezing . The bike ran very well . Stalled once. Then not again. Two riding companions thought it was pretty loud. Both Beemer riders . Quieter than the Staintune on my Dakar. It definitely is louder than stock . I stopped for gas and put my hand on the muffler to check the heat. Way cooler. I could leep my hand right on it . Major improvement over stock. Power was very nice without any flat spots . Idle seemed to be the same as stock. Very pleased, all the way around.Did not do the idle thing or anything else . Also did not use any sealant on the pipe joint. I will, now that I have tested it. With 16 /45 gearing , pulled very strong to 92 mph in 5th gear.Seems to be less vibration at all RPM 's 3280 miles , now on the bike .
Old 11-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #218
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by veesquared
I've had the Q4 mounted for a couple of weeks now. Today I had a good chance to wring it out . 160 miles of twisties and a bunch of stop signs . Temps below freezing . The bike ran very well . Stalled once. Then not again. Two riding companions thought it was pretty loud. Both Beemer riders . Quieter than the Staintune on my Dakar. It definitely is louder than stock . I stopped for gas and put my hand on the muffler to check the heat. Way cooler. I could leep my hand right on it . Major improvement over stock. Power was very nice without any flat spots . Idle seemed to be the same as stock. Very pleased, all the way around.Did not do the idle thing or anything else . Also did not use any sealant on the pipe joint. I will, now that I have tested it. With 16 /45 gearing , pulled very strong to 92 mph in 5th gear.Seems to be less vibration at all RPM 's 3280 miles , now on the bike .
What does it do in 6th? You know the 690E is a six speed.

Any mounting issues?

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #219
69T
DIRT RIDER

Oddometer: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bultaco89
One thought I had was to fab up a new top mounting tab that would drop the pipe an inch or so. I don' t really want to switch to the aftermarket signal lights.
I assume you are talking about the Wings pipe.Here is a picture of what I did ,used some of the original hardware and made up some plates the rubber bushing is from from original bracket and has metal spacer in it.
Name:  DSC00743.JPG
Views: 3896
Size:  35.1 KB
YAMAHA GRIZZLY 700FI EPS
69T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #220
Lumpyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I run a Wings pipe. No stalling or other issues. No remapping. Bikes run flawlessly. I am running the Euro tail section and LED tail light. I mounted two license plate LEDs through the top license place bolts (MA requires a license plate light). I am running Electrosport LED turn signals. Eliminates the stocker melt job on the left turn signal. Sano.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #221
Bong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Anyone with a Leo Vince slipon experiencing exhaust leak around the oem header/connector junction? My slipon did not come with a gasket but I figured the clamp would seal up just fine. Can't get rid of a small leak, it doesn't backfire or pop under decel but sure would be nice to not have a leak at all.

If no gasket is available does anyone have any ideas for sealing up the junction? Thanks
Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #222
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong
Anyone with a Leo Vince slipon experiencing exhaust leak around the oem header/connector junction? My slipon did not come with a gasket but I figured the clamp would seal up just fine. Can't get rid of a small leak, it doesn't backfire or pop under decel but sure would be nice to not have a leak at all.

If no gasket is available does anyone have any ideas for sealing up the junction? Thanks
I used high-temp silicone from Permatex on my LV; no leaks.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #223
trailhawg
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question header pipe

Has anyone tried the FMF Power bomb header? If so what kind of gains did you see?
trailhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #224
myblubeemer
JWAT

Oddometer: 453
Did the bike require the LED relay with the installation of the Eurosport LED turn signals?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpyboy
I run a Wings pipe. No stalling or other issues. No remapping. Bikes run flawlessly. I am running the Euro tail section and LED tail light. I mounted two license plate LEDs through the top license place bolts (MA requires a license plate light). I am running Electrosport LED turn signals. Eliminates the stocker melt job on the left turn signal. Sano.

"I'm not sure what I do all day, but it takes me all day to do it!"
myblubeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #225
ApexMolester
george of the jungle

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOtherZ
FMF Q4 Ti Review

First and foremost...it does not get as hot as the stocker!

I was concerned about giving up the stealthiness of the stock exhaust since I leave my house at times very early in the morning -- no problem here -- the idle is only slightly louder with a throater rumble. When you twist the throttle it blatz with authority just like a large bore 4 stroke thumper should. Once it's at cruzin' speed it is not very much louder -- I am very pleased with the sound!!!

Performance...I couldn't tell a huge difference -- seems to breath a little easier, no overheating problems, it may rev a little faster and hit a little harder (#3 map setting during the test ride).

I did the 15 min idle ritual, and yes the bike did stall on me once during the first 5 miles (coasting to a stop sign). After that one incident it ran solid.

I removed the decals to keep the stock look and used high temp silicone as suggested. The install was a no brainer -- even a Caveman could do it!
I also installed the FMF Q4, and have had zero issues for the last 3 weeks. My MPG went from 40 to 50mpg during a 200 mile dual sport ride with 26 miles of dirt road each way after the install. I was not light on the throttle during the ride riding #2 behind the lead rider on 990. I refused to get caught up in the dust at the end of the 9 rider pack, and spent every moment on the gas. I'm running the pipe without the sparkarrestor, and I blew the sound limit while at Laguna Seca yesterday as I passed the sound booth over 92db.

I too removed the Q4 stickers. My cost was $300 on the pipe through my dealer. IMO, it was worth $300, however I find the FMF product just as hot as the OEM exhaust.

OEM can was 12.5lbs.

FMF can was 5.5lbs.
ApexMolester is offline   Reply With Quote