Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #226
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexMolester
I also installed the FMF Q4, and have had zero issues for the last 3 weeks. My MPG went from 40 to 50mpg during a 200 mile dual sport ride with 26 miles of dirt road each way after the install. I was not light on the throttle during the ride riding #2 behind the lead rider on 990. I refused to get caught up in the dust at the end of the 9 rider pack, and spent every moment on the gas. I'm running the pipe without the sparkarrestor, and I blew the sound limit while at Laguna Seca yesterday as I passed the sound booth over 92db.

I too removed the Q4 stickers. My cost was $300 on the pipe through my dealer. IMO, it was worth $300, however I find the FMF product just as hot as the OEM exhaust.

OEM can was 12.5lbs.

FMF can was 5.5lbs.

Any remapping, 15 minute idle, etc; or did you just plug and play? Did you buy the Ti Q4 or the aluminum model?

thanks

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #227
izzug
Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 61
I have the Wings muffler with no other changes to the bike. Did the 15 minute idle reset to the stock map. I didn’t have the stalling problem except when I ran cheap gas, with good gas no problems. Here is what the dyno comes up with…air/fuel is pretty close to being right with out remapping. The bike runs great….I would like to see some other dyno runs from other people with the air/fuel shown.

izzug screwed with this post 04-06-2009 at 06:35 AM
izzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:13 PM   #228
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,069
Not too bad on the HP, a couple dips on the A/F mix. Wouldn't hurt to tweek it. BTW, did you get a graph of the stock pipe?
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #229
izzug
Curmudgeon

No we didn't run the stock pipe; it's tough to get the snorkel of the gas analyzer deep inside the stock muffler and it doesn’t read right with the cat in place. The dips are really small...I don't know if I'm going to remap or not.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #230
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzug
I have the Wings muffler with no other changes to the bike. Did the 15 minute idle reset to the stock map. I didn’t have the stalling problem except when I ran cheap gas, with good gas no problems. Here is what the dyno comes up with…air/fuel is pretty close to being right with out remapping. The bike runs great….I would like to see some other dyno runs from other people with the air/fuel shown.
I think izzug may have something there on the fuel. I don't have much of a stalling issue, but I had it one day when I had to purchase some 88 or 89 fuel.

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:39 AM   #231
izzug
Curmudgeon

My bike ran great with no stalls until Atlanta ran out of gas last month. We only had regular for about 3 weeks and my bike stalled a lot. When the gas supply came back the stalls went away. The 690e likes perfect gas. I agree that KTM needs to do something with the mapping, my Ducati 998 is not this picky with gas.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:48 AM   #232
Wayne B
What Road?

Oddometer: 97
Fmf

Has anyone info/performance on the FMF Carbon/ Ti Apex muffler?
Old 11-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #233
ApexMolester
george of the jungle

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan
Any remapping, 15 minute idle, etc; or did you just plug and play? Did you buy the Ti Q4 or the aluminum model?

thanks
No remap, not until my Powercommander FI connectors arrive. I'll be putting the bike on the dyno at Kyle Racing here in town. I bought the Ti exhaust, installed it with a 5 minute idle time and rode it off into the hills above Monterey.
Attachment 198940

ApexMolester screwed with this post 11-06-2008 at 12:06 PM
ApexMolester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #234
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzug
No we didn't run the stock pipe; it's tough to get the snorkel of the gas analyzer deep inside the stock muffler and it doesn’t read right with the cat in place. The dips are really small...I don't know if I'm going to remap or not.
Actually, what has to be done is to drill a hole before the cat, and run the sensor up there. It's the only way to dyno it correctly. What sux is you have to plug the hole after you're finished.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:50 AM   #235
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
OK, LV had a chance to dyno a 690 and results are listed below.

Basically the bikes are way lean from the gate, adding an aftermarket pipe and mapping will cure most of the problems people are having.
Although LV claimed no mapping necassary, it's a must to achieve best performance. Doesn't matter what aftermarket pipe you decide on, you still need to make the EFI happy by mapping.
Akra has a map software that works and the LV guys in the bay area are using a recalibrated version of Power Commander.

So wether you decide to keep your stock can or add some performance enhancements, get your bike checked for best performance.

Here's the Dyno minus air box lid..

James,

I notice that this dyno run shows much better hp than izzug's

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=228

particularly in the lower rpms. Do you attribute this to the richer mapping or differences between LV and Wings?
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:20 AM   #236
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack
James,

I notice that this dyno run shows much better hp than izzug's

particularly in the lower rpms. Do you attribute this to the richer mapping or differences between LV and Wings?

Absolutely, mapping this bike is a must if your making any changes to the pipe or putting on aftermarket.
When I hear about better gas mileage I start thinking valves

The bike comes so lean from the factory and then as in my case the ignition curves were way off on both sides, not good. The mapping and ignition curves have to work together.

A pipe is a pipe, the larger the opening, the louder it will be and in most cases it allows for better performance.
Some pipes are just made better then others so in my opinion you don't go out and buy something based on just looks or just because someone says, "hey my bike doesn't need mapping and I'm using XX brand pipe"
LV had the same claims as many other aftermarket pipes out there that claimed "no mapping necassary" wrong!

A more restricted aftermarket pipe is only going to run closer to the choked down OEM pipe which is why the LV insert as an example helps restore some of the performance the bike had from stock.

EFI needs just as much attention as carbs do when you make any modifications, why would it be any different. The electronics do only what they're programmed to do.

For those that want quiet, keep the stock one and deal with the heat.
Despite what the manual says about oil changes just plan on changing it out more often if your riding this bike remotely hard enough.
A choked out pipe is only going to bring the operating temps up and we all know what takes place inside our motors then.

My post is not intended to offend those who have made their decision of what they're using or what seems to be working for them but rather help those who are contemplating making some changes to their bikes in stock form.
The 690 when properly set-up is a great bike, have fun!
Old 11-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #237
kT13
Fat Rob

Oddometer: 34
Cry So what to run ?

Just like anything there are 2 many choice's... seats, exhausts blah blah blah.

so far I love this ride and hope to make it mine and enjoy the ride so keep up the great threads.

Robt.
kT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:35 AM   #238
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan
What does it do in 6th? You know the 690E is a six speed.

Any mounting issues?
I didn't get a chance to hit sixth . Tight backroads of Connecticut . No mounting issues whatsoever. I think that FMF could have tucked the heat shield in another half inch however. I will ride it a short distance on the highway this am and wring it out in sixth. Will report.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:56 AM   #239
bicyclekid
any adventure

Oddometer: 3
wtf you spend 10k on a single cylinder dirt bike then skimp on the pipe .. then use all kinds of bandaids to fix it ..... buy the real deal akro header and pipe all the way .... lv ..blah blah blah wings .... fmf blah ...a real dis service to the bike .. i treat my ride with the best oil , tires, pipe ...
bicyclekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #240
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclekid
wtf you spend 10k on a single cylinder dirt bike then skimp on the pipe .. then use all kinds of bandaids to fix it ..... buy the real deal akro header and pipe all the way .... lv ..blah blah blah wings .... fmf blah ...a real dis service to the bike .. i treat my ride with the best oil , tires, pipe ...

Oh boy, here we go......... I guess I'm dumb for building my own system