Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #241
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclekid
wtf you spend 10k on a single cylinder dirt bike then skimp on the pipe .. then use all kinds of bandaids to fix it ..... buy the real deal akro header and pipe all the way .... lv ..blah blah blah wings .... fmf blah ...a real dis service to the bike .. i treat my ride with the best oil , tires, pipe ...
Not everybody can plunk down big $$ for Akra or have the best of everything, perhaps you can enlighten us on ways to improve these bikes on a smaller budget yet still have the liberty of owning one?

Besides, outside of riding a dirt bike, the best thing about owning a dirt bike is what one can do with our own imagination and yet be functional.

Renazco screwed with this post 11-09-2008 at 09:47 AM
Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #242
bicyclekid
any adventure

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Oh boy, here we go......... I guess I'm dumb for building my own system
oh c'mon be nice to yourself .... not dumb maybe just bored with too many tools hows about a flomaster ???? think you might need a powwer camander and a remap for that
bicyclekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #243
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
oh c'mon be nice to yourself .... not dumb maybe just bored with too many tools hows about a flomaster ???? think you might need a powwer camander and a remap for that
I'm sorry, did you mean a Flowmaster and a Power Commander?

I think my $200 exhaust works great and it looks pretty good also.

It sounds pretty good also.......

With the $1000 I saved, I bought tires and gas

Have a nice day
Old 11-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #244
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 413
Besides, it's tough to justify the Akra when their other slip-ons sell for roughly half what they want for the KTM.

I'm definitely getting a pipe, and it definitely won't be the Akra.
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #245
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,534
I paid $8000 for my 690. No way am I paying $1000 for a muffler. These 4-Stroke mufflers guys are hosing us pretty good if you ask me.

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
bigborefan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #246
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
wtf you spend 10k on a single cylinder dirt bike then skimp on the pipe .. then use all kinds of bandaids to fix it ..... buy the real deal akro header and pipe all the way .... lv ..blah blah blah wings .... fmf blah ...a real dis service to the bike .. i treat my ride with the best oil , tires, pipe ...
I can asure you the my 690 with 908 and 606 tires custom pipe made by me ,renazco seat and remaped does 93 mph in any dirt road o sandwash the is no more the 3 '' deep and if you came down to socal for ridding i show you Now to get serius if you replace the oem muffler the heats the gas tank big time you have to remap the bike for acomodate the change

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #247
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick
I can asure you the my 690 with 908 and 606 tires custom pipe made by me ,renazco seat and remaped does 93 mph in any dirt road o sandwash the is no more the 3 '' deep and if you came down to socal for ridding i show you Now to get serius if you replace the oem muffler the heats the gas tank big time you have to remap the bike for acomodate the change
Well said Javiar ( i hope I spelled it right?)
Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #248
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 413
Thinking of buying a new pipe?

Check out my post on the big 690 threadfest here and here.

My pipe must've gotten knocked out of alignment (rotated on the hose clamp) and started burning the gas tank. Riding home was eye-opening.

Five minutes to loosen the clamp & twist it back was all it took, but I'm still pissed it happened. Forewarned is forearmed--make sure you have the tools to adjust the thing should you need them, and make sure that there's adequate clearance between the pipe nuclear reactor and the tank.

Add a pipe to my Christmas shopping list.
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #249
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck
Check out my post on the big 690 threadfest here and here.

My pipe must've gotten knocked out of alignment (rotated on the hose clamp) and started burning the gas tank. Riding home was eye-opening.

Five minutes to loosen the clamp & twist it back was all it took, but I'm still pissed it happened. Forewarned is forearmed--make sure you have the tools to adjust the thing should you need them, and make sure that there's adequate clearance between the pipe nuclear reactor and the tank.

Add a pipe to my Christmas shopping list.
I had my 690 a week and decided that the exhaust had to go
Good catch
Old 11-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #250
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Well said Javiar ( i hope I spelled it right?)
almost is JAVIER ,And let me tell you this 690 enduro are a blast to ride in any type o terrain ,i hope aqualine made the thank no bigger the 4 gallons for the front .Gas is the only issue i have ,have to refuel every 160-180 miles went carry a extra gallon in my weist

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
Old 11-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #251
KTM BIGGER
n00b

Oddometer: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick
almost is JAVIER ,And let me tell you this 690 enduro are a blast to ride in any type o terrain ,i hope aqualine made the thank no bigger the 4 gallons for the front .Gas is the only issue i have ,have to refuel every 160-180 miles went carry a extra gallon in my weist
So you are saying that you carry 12 litre in the tank and a extra 3.7litres around your waist. Total 15.7litres.
160 mile = 257 km

fuel consumption = 16.39 km/litres. or for you US folks = 23.52 miles/gallon

When saying this, what type of riding are you refering too. Technical riding, sand riding, gravel roads. tar?
KTM BIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #252
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM BIGGER
So you are saying that you carry 12 litre in the tank and a extra 3.7litres around your waist. Total 15.7litres.
160 mile = 257 km

fuel consumption = 16.39 km/litres. or for you US folks = 23.52 miles/gallon

When saying this, what type of riding are you refering too. Technical riding, sand riding, gravel roads. tar?
the total is 4.3 gallons and i get 35to 45 mpg depends how hard i ride it ,i go from goat trails to 90 mph sand washes in the same ride ,stock tank is only 3.3, 160 miles divided by 4.3 is = 37 mpg

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
Old 11-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #253
pongo999
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hi guys,
I am writing from Italy and I am amazed by this forum..so fist of all my sincere compliments!
I am seriously thinking to buy the new KTM 690 Enduro R (here we call it "Hard Enduro"). At the moment I have an Husky SMR 510...fantastic..but i want a real "dual bike".
I am following with lots of interest this tread on the exhaust because I think that one of the first tranformation is to get rid of the stock muffler (horrible) but I don't want to spend lots of money on an Akra (beautiful but incredibly dear..)..
now....I really like the Leovince Muffler and I was wandering about the EFI imapping issue. In this tread u guys are saying basivally that the Leo muffler should go well with the Akra map loaded in the EFI
I called the Leo customer service and they put me through the tchnical department...a very helpful guy told me that they have developed the muffler with the "standard mode" of the switch that is under the seat...he said that is the map number 3 which is already loaded in the bike...basically no need to load anything new from what is alredy available in the bike.

My questions are.
1)has anyone of you found that effectivley the standard map goes well with this muffler?
2)the map n2 is the advanced one...by using the standard one am I going to lose lots of power
3) has anyone got problems of fuel ignition directly connected with the leo muffler in the standard map or with any other map?
4) anyone had problems with the Akra at all?

Thank you very much for your help!

PS The Leovince guy told me the they are going to sell soon a switch to be installed on the steering gear (don't know if it's correct in english) that allows you to change map while you drive

Ciao!
pongo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #254
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by pongo999
Hi guys,
I am writing from Italy and I am amazed by this forum..so fist of all my sincere compliments!
I am seriously thinking to buy the new KTM 690 Enduro R (here we call it "Hard Enduro"). At the moment I have an Husky SMR 510...fantastic..but i want a real "dual bike".
I am following with lots of interest this tread on the exhaust because I think that one of the first tranformation is to get rid of the stock muffler (horrible) but I don't want to spend lots of money on an Akra (beautiful but incredibly dear..)..
now....I really like the Leovince Muffler and I was wandering about the EFI imapping issue. In this tread u guys are saying basivally that the Leo muffler should go well with the Akra map loaded in the EFI
I called the Leo customer service and they put me through the tchnical department...a very helpful guy told me that they have developed the muffler with the "standard mode" of the switch that is under the seat...he said that is the map number 3 which is already loaded in the bike...basically no need to load anything new from what is alredy available in the bike.

My questions are.
1)has anyone of you found that effectivley the standard map goes well with this muffler?
2)the map n2 is the advanced one...by using the standard one am I going to lose lots of power
3) has anyone got problems of fuel ignition directly connected with the leo muffler in the standard map or with any other map?
4) anyone had problems with the Akra at all?

Thank you very much for your help!

PS The Leovince guy told me the they are going to sell soon a switch to be installed on the steering gear (don't know if it's correct in english) that allows you to change map while you drive

Ciao!
Pongo,

I have a LV SBK on my bike and it works well for me. I think the LV guys in Italy assume that you are using the db insert (to quiet the muffler) when they say that no mapping is needed. The LV guys in the San Fransico Bay area have found that the pipe is too lean in any of the settings and recommend map changes to richen the air fuel mixture. I think switch settings 2 and 3 produce the same peak power, but setting 2 brings the power on more abruptly. Setting 1 gives about 70% of the peak power and increases at a slower rate. Setting 0 is for low octane fuel when proper grade fuel is unavailable. I'm using the db insert to make less noise. Performance seems similar to the stock muffler, but less than without the insert. I don't have someone who can re-map my bike locally so I'm waiting on running without the insert. My bike runs well without the insert but I don't want the damage which running too lean can cause.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #255
pongo999
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack
Pongo,

I have a LV SBK on my bike and it works well for me. I think the LV guys in Italy assume that you are using the db insert (to quiet the muffler) when they say that no mapping is needed. The LV guys in the San Fransico Bay area have found that the pipe is too lean in any of the settings and recommend map changes to richen the air fuel mixture. I think switch settings 2 and 3 produce the same peak power, but setting 2 brings the power on more abruptly. Setting 1 gives about 70% of the peak power and increases at a slower rate. Setting 0 is for low octane fuel when proper grade fuel is unavailable. I'm using the db insert to make less noise. Performance seems similar to the stock muffler, but less than without the insert. I don't have someone who can re-map my bike locally so I'm waiting on running without the insert. My bike runs well without the insert but I don't want the damage which running too lean can cause.
Hi dirtjack,
thx vm for your answer,
basically from what i understood the LV muffler with the db killer works fine with the maps in built in the original EFI without remapping the EFI itself...correct?
pongo999 is offline   Reply With Quote