Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #16
JohnnieWinona
ol'cowboy

Oddometer: 30
My Akra was just delivered from Germany. An hour later it was installed. i am happy that it wasn't that loud. i only rode it for 10 minutes or so, and it ran well. How can you tell if it is running too lean?????

Thanks Woodrider for the information.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #17
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I am in the lose heat and weight category too - but - I have one more concern: keeping the noise down.

I realize that any exhaust I buy will be louder than stock. What I dont understand is how much louder. I know that is subjective but what are we talking ballpark? 10% louder, 25% louder? I am only interested in the slip on - not replacing the pipe as well.

My first aftermarket exhaust (Termi) went on my Ducati S2R 800. I love it but I was surprised by the sheer volume added. I am trying to get an idea of what I may be getting myself into when I change the KTM.

Thanks,
Michael
mfaoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #18
mfaoro
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieWinona
My Akra was just delivered from Germany. An hour later it was installed. i am happy that it wasn't that loud. i only rode it for 10 minutes or so, and it ran well. How can you tell if it is running too lean?????

Thanks Woodrider for the information.
How much louder (ballpark) is it than the stocker? 10% 25% Stock=hear it 1 yard away, akra=one block away?
Old 07-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #19
JohnnieWinona
ol'cowboy

It is louder then the stocker, but...that was a very quiet can/cat. It is hard to say, because the Akra doesn't sound like a sewing machine. The Akra is throatier, at idle and not wide throttle, quieter then my 05- 450exc. It isn't aggressively loud, akin to the 950 w/akras, with the inserts in. i was pleasantly surprised, that it is as quiet as it is. The weight difference is pretty amazing, again much like the difference with the stock vs akra on the 950. After riding the 6.9 for 10 min, i turned it off, got off the bike, and touched the titanium of the akra. With the stocker, my hand would have stuck and fried.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #20
JohnnieWinona
ol'cowboy

i did as Woodsrider and Sommer suggested, idle for 15min, etc...i then rode pave up to about 10,000' pushing the 6.9 pretty hard. i ran great. When i returned home 30min later, the Akra was hot to the touch, you didn't want to leave your hand on it. In the outlet it was just a little dark, so if anything it could be a little rich, i'm going to hold off a while on the remapping.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #21
woodsrider

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieWinona
It is louder then the stocker, but...that was a very quiet can/cat. It is hard to say, because the Akra doesn't sound like a sewing machine. The Akra is throatier, at idle and not wide throttle, quieter then my 05- 450exc. It isn't aggressively loud, akin to the 950 w/akras, with the inserts in. i was pleasantly surprised, that it is as quiet as it is. The weight difference is pretty amazing, again much like the difference with the stock vs akra on the 950. After riding the 6.9 for 10 min, i turned it off, got off the bike, and touched the titanium of the akra. With the stocker, my hand would have stuck and fried.
Same experience here, Johnnie -- the sound is similar to the 950 with Akras. Definitely louder than stock but, as you point out, the stock muffler is EXTREMELY quiet. The sound is not objectionable, especially at lighter throttle levels. I'm also going to hold off on the EFI remap....sometimes it's best to "leave well enough alone..."

1997.5 KTM 200LE Jackpiner
'75 Bultaco 250 Alpina (M137)
woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #22
mfaoro
Adventurer

Cool - thanks. I just want to make sure I am still legal on fire roads and such.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #23
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,143
the akra can be very loud when you're on the throttle.

idling and creeping in/out of your neighborhood it's quiet.

BTW, take that baffle out! unless you need that spark arrestor.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #24
mfaoro
Adventurer

I guess my question still stands then. Does it meet the 96db requirements for forest service roads? I cant find anything anywhere to tell me this...Akra's website sucks

I assume that its in the same ballpark as the FMF and the Wings which I understand to meet the db requirements. Never had an Akra so I dont know if its different from those others in terms of noise.

Another question. I understand that a remap is not required for these slips ons. Is there a risk (other than to your wallet) if you did get it done? I cant quite tell from the posts above.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #25
RYDMOTO
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I am sending my silencer to Thunder Alley first thing in the morning.He asked me to send the headpipe too so he can make a template of it to have on file.
Although he said I don't need a headpipe from him I am doing him that favor.
He did say he got 10 extra horsepower out of his full on sytem but it is very loud and for competition only.He is a firm believer of the reverse cone type silencer of which he said fourstrokes love to have.He is a skilled craftsman and hand makes everything.I asked him to add a downspigot to the silencer to direct the exhaust away from the turn signal.I will keep you guys posted on the results.If any of you are interested give him a call.He is only charging me $175.00 but that might be because I am sending my header pipe too.

Thunder Alley
1010 East Lacey Boulevard
Hanford, California 93230
(559) 584-8109
RYDMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #26
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
I modified a yoshimura for a 525 exc and its good, 35- % louder ,its blows 95 decibels @3800 rpm in my decibel meter ,but its loud over 5500 rpm ,got lots o good power with it ,stock was 82 @3800 rpm but the heat was the major change
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #27
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYDMOTO
I am sending my silencer to Thunder Alley first thing in the morning.He asked me to send the headpipe too so he can make a template of it to have on file.
Although he said I don't need a headpipe from him I am doing him that favor.
He did say he got 10 extra horsepower out of his full on sytem but it is very loud and for competition only.He is a firm believer of the reverse cone type silencer of which he said fourstrokes love to have.He is a skilled craftsman and hand makes everything.I asked him to add a downspigot to the silencer to direct the exhaust away from the turn signal.I will keep you guys posted on the results.If any of you are interested give him a call.He is only charging me $175.00 but that might be because I am sending my header pipe too.

Thunder Alley
1010 East Lacey Boulevard
Hanford, California 93230
(559) 584-8109

Is he building you a muffler, or modifying your stocker?

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #28
woodsrider

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d
BTW, take that baffle out! unless you need that spark arrestor.
Hmmm.....

More sound = less ground.

Let's all leave those baffles in, please. Loud bikes are one of offroading's biggest enemies and one of the quickest ways to get our favorite trails closed to OHVs for good!

Let's keep 'em quiet!

1997.5 KTM 200LE Jackpiner
'75 Bultaco 250 Alpina (M137)
woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #29
Motobrandt
Free Opinions Here

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrider
Hmmm.....

Let's all leave those baffles in, please. Loud bikes are one of offroading's biggest enemies and one of the quickest ways to get our favorite trails closed to OHVs for good!

Let's keep 'em quiet!
Amen Woody!
Motobrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #30
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrider
Hmmm.....

Let's keep 'em quiet!
+1

Talking to guys around georgia we've lost a TON of ground over the last few years.
FriedDuck is online now   Reply With Quote