Opened mine up...
I prefer to think of mine as a great big BBQ

Oh and Goosecreek, I don't think that cooling fluid would work in this case
kirbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #737
B_palmer22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Installed my Leo SBK on my 08 690smc a few weeks ago. I'm really happy with the fitment. It is loud as hell but its a supermoto so im not that mad about it. I've had Zero stalling issues related to the pipe even with no DB killers installed. It'll stall every once in a while pulling out of the driveway when its cold but its only done that twice this month.

B_palmer22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #738
ToddWilly
n00b

Oddometer: 4
ktm 690 Wings

Thanks for the info, I'll be ordering my Wings exhaust this Wednesday.
ToddWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #739
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Full akro system on my '13
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'10 Yamaha TW200 '07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #740
MakoRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Liquid paraffin ???

Getting ready to install the WINGS silencer. The instructions say to clean the pipe before starting. Then apply LIQUID PARAFFIN. I looked online and I see different things for liquid paraffin. Petroleum jelly to mineral oil...

What am I supposed to use? Where do you get it?
MakoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #741
dep411
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoRider View Post
Getting ready to install the WINGS silencer. The instructions say to clean the pipe before starting. Then apply LIQUID PARAFFIN. I looked online and I see different things for liquid paraffin. Petroleum jelly to mineral oil...

What am I supposed to use? Where do you get it?
I literally just installed the pipe today, literally 5mins ago. The liquid should of came with the pipe. It's inside the same bag with all the hardware in a little squeeze bottle.

The mid pipe was almost impossible for me to put on the stock header had to bash it on with a rubber mallet. Don't think it's coming off at least easily :). Let me know how yours was to put on.
dep411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #742
dep411
Gnarly Adventurer

O and when I mounted the pipe to the stock bracket I used the stock spacers that were on the stock bolts, and put them behind the stock mounting bracket. So the wings clamp wouldn't rub against the fuel tank.

If that makes sense.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #743
MakoRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Instructions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dep411 View Post
O and when I mounted the pipe to the stock bracket I used the stock spacers that were on the stock bolts, and put them behind the stock mounting bracket. So the wings clamp wouldn't rub against the fuel tank.

If that makes sense.
DEP411,
Did you get any instructions in the box? The instructions I saw were on the Wings website. Honey do list got in the way of the KTM this weekend. I will have to put the Wings on during the week. What procedure did you do following the install. Idle 15 minutes, throttle, etc....?

I called the shop where I bought the bike. "Bloke" the KTM mechanic in Conyers GA. said the paraffin wax is mineral oil or lamp oil. He said think of it like seasoning a skillet. But not to worry about that. just put on the pipe and ride it.
MakoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:08 AM   #744
dep411
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoRider View Post
DEP411,
Did you get any instructions in the box? The instructions I saw were on the Wings website. Honey do list got in the way of the KTM this weekend. I will have to put the Wings on during the week. What procedure did you do following the install. Idle 15 minutes, throttle, etc....?

I called the shop where I bought the bike. "Bloke" the KTM mechanic in Conyers GA. said the paraffin wax is mineral oil or lamp oil. He said think of it like seasoning a skillet. But not to worry about that. just put on the pipe and ride it.
these were the same instructions I got with the pipe

http://www.wings.si/ver3/slikarije/W...aintenance.pdf

I wouldn't worry about the putting liquid on the rubber gasket thats on the exhaust clamp. I've never seen a manufacture do this before. BUt after you install the pipe make sure to wipe off all the finger prints as they can be burned in.

And the exhaust was literally a 5 min installation, very simple. And to my understanding if you keep the stock air filter and keep the large arrestor in the exhaust we should be able to run it without remapping the ecu.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #745
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,631
Anybody that got the wings exhaust and not using one of the tips wants to sell it?

We found out that my find's bike (XR650R) doesn't have a spark arrestor and a wings tips would work just perfectly.

Let me know if anyone wants to sell one, the "louder" one if possible.

Thank you
Christian
Old 06-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #746
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Did he use the proper gas tight rivets? Noyah reported that his is loosening up all the time, too.
Lukas - yes he did. The same ones that came with the kit. Contacted Akra on the issue and it seems that the kit had the wrong band, or some issue. They're sending me the correct one and set of rivets so I can replace.
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #747
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Had some blueing that was bothering me so I took the guard off and used some blue away. Much better now. Still wondering why this one section of pipe is doing it. Akrapovic instructions say to use a single spring to connect these pieces but it seems that it may leak if you only use the spring so I used some rtv copper gasket on it. Anyway, heres the results from the blue away.
Before:

After:
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'10 Yamaha TW200 '07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #748
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
As much as the stock muffler costs, it out to be worth something....
KTM parts catalog price is $1400.00!!!
I have 2 of them I would sell for $50.00 each...
Recycled steel yards took my GS cat for about that price based on weight. I've got two of them and will try the recycle yard this coming week. YMMV
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #749
dep411
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Recycled steel yards took my GS cat for about that price based on weight. I've got two of them and will try the recycle yard this coming week. YMMV
Not a bad idea!
Old 06-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #750
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post
Had some blueing that was bothering me so I took the guard off and used some blue away. Much better now. Still wondering why this one section of pipe is doing it. Akrapovic instructions say to use a single spring to connect these pieces but it seems that it may leak if you only use the spring so I used some rtv copper gasket on it. Anyway, heres the results from the blue away.
It will be interesting to see if it comes back. Blue further towards the end would be worse, indicating some tune issue. Ceramic coat!

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote