Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #751
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,817
Just hung a Leo Vince and I did not get the db reducer....does anyone have one they would part with? PM's please........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #752
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,066
LOL, just pulled my LV because I decided to repack it and my SECOND db reducer seems to have disappeared. WTF, do the damn things just burn up? Gonna make my own this time. Anyway, it was definitely time to repack the thing, it had only about 2 inches of packing left at the end of the can. It was much quieter after repacking it, and that's without a db reducer.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #753
MakoRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Thanks 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by dep411 View Post
these were the same instructions I got with the pipe

http://www.wings.si/ver3/slikarije/W...aintenance.pdf

I wouldn't worry about the putting liquid on the rubber gasket thats on the exhaust clamp. I've never seen a manufacture do this before. BUt after you install the pipe make sure to wipe off all the finger prints as they can be burned in.

And the exhaust was literally a 5 min installation, very simple. And to my understanding if you keep the stock air filter and keep the large arrestor in the exhaust we should be able to run it without remapping the ecu.
I took a little longer, but mounted the silencer the same way. Just using the one that was already in it. Does it come with the quieter one installed? It's quiet enough for my ears. I have about 700+ miles on the 690, so I haven't got on it too much. Just once I got her over 5500 rpm. It was real easy to do. Marie really wants to rev higher. That's her name, Marie.

I have no other modifications so far. I have experienced the stall at idle when making some technical moves at slow speed. Not a big deal, but the stories are true. I really like this bike. I want to say love, but that is reserved for my real life Marie aka Mrs. MakoRider (just in case she is reading this).

See y'all on the other KTM forums...
MakoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #754
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
A note on the FMF Q4........

It's has been said that stalling occurs on the 690 if you don't have the DB killer in on a few pipes. This also seems to be true on the FMF. There is a huge difference in flame outs, or lack there of, once you install the spark arrester back into the FMF Q4. It seems the 2013 engine mapping is sensitive to back pressure. So.... if you experience flame outs somewhat regularly during stops and have the Q4, install the DB killer. It makes a huge difference.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #755
Shadowfax38
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Fellow Wings owners. I just picked up a silencer for my 2013 690 Enduro R and was hoping to get some advice.

1. How long can I expect the packing wool to last with 80% conservative engine rpms and 20% "race throttle", 65 degrees average ambient outside air temp, and low humidity?

2. I beleive the silencer came with the louder DB installed. Will the queiter DB increase the life of the packing wool?

3. Is it really necessary to do the battery unplug and 15 minute idle?

I don't care about sound (well a little). I only care about reduced weight, reduced heat, and no compromise of fuel efficiency.

Thanks in advance!
Shadowfax38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #756
emilio700
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfax38 View Post
Fellow Wings owners. I just picked up a silencer for my 2013 690 Enduro R and was hoping to get some advice.

1. How long can I expect the packing wool to last with 80% conservative engine rpms and 20% "race throttle", 65 degrees average ambient outside air temp, and low humidity?

2. I beleive the silencer came with the louder DB installed. Will the queiter DB increase the life of the packing wool?

3. Is it really necessary to do the battery unplug and 15 minute idle?

I don't care about sound (well a little). I only care about reduced weight, reduced heat, and no compromise of fuel efficiency.

Thanks in advance!
My Wings muffler just arrived also, new version db killer. Not installed yet. I plan to just pull the cap and check the packing every two oil changes or so. Consider it regular maintenance. I don't think the insert size will matter to packing life. In my experience with race cars, it's the time spent at high revs (more CFM). I'd do the ECU recal. Again, from race car experience, tuning is everything. I tune my race cars with fully programmable ECU's and we're constantly fiddling with them. In our endurance race cars, just a percent or two in fuel pays dividends in fewer fuel stops during a race.

If I can get sufficiently motivated, I'll post a short fly by video pre & post install with sound and also weigh the two.

I'll later try the evo 1 open airbox lid. Only concern with it is noise. I'd prefer to keep the bike as quiet as possible. We'll see.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #757
Shadowfax38
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
I plan to just pull the cap and check the packing every two oil changes or so.
Thanks for the advice. Are you going to prep the riviets for cap pull beforehand (assuming you have the carbon end piece) or wait till the repack is needed?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #758
emilio700
Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Are you going to prep the riviets for cap pull beforehand (assuming you have the carbon end piece) or wait till the repack is needed?
Probably do it now while everything is clean. Easier to check quickly later on. Digging around to find my db meter.

Probably take the measurement at about 25' at 90 to bike at 3000rpm cruise and WOT 7000rpm. Riding the bike it's hard to tell what it sounds like but the db meter doesn't lie.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #759
leanin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
How do you prep the rivets?
leanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #760
emilio700
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanin View Post
How do you prep the rivets?
I plan to use metric rivnuts. The way the carbon cap is attached the flanges of the riv-nut will have to squeeze under the cap's retaining band. Should work.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:07 AM   #761
Shadowfax38
Adventurer

Thanks for the tip on the rivnuts and please post how they work out if used.

Leanin, if you want to keep the orginal rivets you have to tap and drill them out. Would be nice if they used a rivnut solution in the first place.

I decided just to throw it on and deal with them later cause I need to break the packing wool in before a ride. Sounds nice, cools down fast. Happy so far.

Please do weigh the silencer and connector/hanger vs. stock. Wuz gunna do that but forgot. :-(

Shadowfax38 screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 06:30 AM
Old 07-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #762
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Oddometer: 208
I weighed the cans when I installed mine last year. Wings with carbon cap weighed exactly 2.0 kilograms (4.4 lbs), original was 4.7 kg (10.4 lbs).

I also measured the noise last winter since I had a proper dB meter at hand. I did the measuring with the same method the cops do it over here: 3500 rpms, noise measured 0,5 meters from the end cap at an 45 degrees angle.

The result for Wings with the smaller noise killer was 92,7 dB(A).
Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #763
fossriver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Just hung a Leo Vince and I did not get the db reducer....does anyone have one they would part with? PM's please........
I'm late to this party, but I drilled some extra holes in my db reducer for my Leo Vince. A few months later I wanted to try the stock db reducer again. I called up Leo Vince America, talked to some really nice people there. And they sent me one pretty quickly, for free:)
fossriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #764
emilio700
Adventurer

Wings on 2013 690 enduro

Well I failed at the video. Apparently my camera takes stills in video mode when you press the regular shutter release. Second release on back just for video. arg. Too lazy to put OEM back on and do it all over. Also had trouble getting precise repeatable results on the db meter.

Anyway, some subjectective opinions and info:

Weight
10 lb, 2 oz OEM thermonuclear reactor and clamp
3lb 15oz Sexy eastern bloc surplus submarine ti musical instrument
6 lbs 2 oz weight savings. wow

Aural violence
Tried it with no insert. Very deep low tone, smoother sounding, really loud.

With standard spark arrestor insert with internal screen. Higher pitch, most low frequencies muted. More of a "pop" with each combustion event.

Ended up with db killer insert which has a few mm smaller exit aperture and additional cap covering part of internal screen. Only a little quieter than standard spark arrestor insert. Even more "pop" with combustion event. OEM sounds like "chuff - chuff - chuff" at idle and acceleration. Db killer is more of a "pop-pop-pop".

I measured roughly 3db more sound energy both at idle and free revving to 7000rpm. That's rough though as my measurements varied a bit.

Bacon cooking ability ... mmm bacon
Ran the both mufflers around the hood for a while, some (many) WOT blasts.
Measured temps with a contact pyrometer.

320 Austrian particle accelerator
120 former commie missile tip

The KTM mufflercat was 320 everywhere, including the tip. At the very leading edge under the shrouds where you couldn't ever reach, one spot registered 400. The extra strap on my spare camelback left a pile of molten goo on it from the last ride. ick

In contrast, the Wings was pretty much 120 everywhere. One small area at the very forward cone under the shrouds measured 180~200. The carbon tip was barely 100 even with the engine running. You could just about put your hand on the Wings even with the engine running. That's interesting since titanium has very low thermal conductivity and thermal inertia. I would expect it to heat soak and really radiate but it didn't.

Fit & finish
KTM - perfect
Wings - perfect

One nice benefit of the Wings was the offset header adapter that allows you to position the muffler a cm or so this way or that. You have some leeway which is nice if you want extra clearance for luggage racks, aux tanks and whatnot. I sprayed it with ispropyl alcohol and gave it good wipe down after install to avoid burning fingerprints onto the surface.

Powah
Dunno, didn't dyno it. Didn't have to recal. Runs perfect just like it did before. Still wheelies a lot? check

I took the opportunity to fab an ugly ass heatshield out of .049 6061-T6 sheet. Saved .5 lb and make my bike look more hardcore. At last that's what I'm telling myself. Oh yeah, the new shield is much cooler to the touch than the original stainless ones. I'll probably make a new shield from .065 after a few rides with this one and shoot some clear lacquer on it. The raw aluminum will oxidize and leave grey smudges all over anything it wears against. My chain looks slack..

Old 07-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #765
Shadowfax38
Adventurer

Awseome. Thanks and ROFL.

Vasily: But Captain...how will we get the men off the sub?

Ramius: We will tell them that the reactor core has reached stock KTM Enduro R muffler operating temperature and there is risk of imminent meltdown!

Shadowfax38 screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 03:01 AM