Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #106
Lumpyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Just picked up a 690E after doing a lot of research here and over on KTMTalk. I ordered a Wings that will be here end of next week. They told me the smaller 28mm insert would be quietest. I was not expecting to get an Akra map but will if folks think it will improve mpg or just general performance.
Lumpyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #107
n00b

Oddometer: 0
I installed my wings 2 weeks ago, left the insert in, unplugged the batt for 10 mins and replugged it then did the 15 min idle. I had no problems with the FI the bike actually ran 1 bar hotter than w/ the stock pipe. I noticed the engine rev'd faster but can't say I saw lots of power gain but the bike is noticably lighter without a doubt.

So today I went into my dealer to put in the Akra map #@^#^%*& not impressed they had a number of shop problems and when I finally got the bike back it had an FI code they couldn't decipher eventually I got sick of waiting and told them I'd sort it out. When I rode it home the FI light went on solid, I stopped after 15 min turned the bike off restarted and rode home. My owners manual said the code was too much/little throttle cable input which I adjusted and now have no FI light. As far as the Akro map goes it feels softer than the stock map and I've tried all the settings. I read somewhere that this map reconfigures the settings and now I'm not sure and can't really feel the difference between setting 2 and 3.

Anyway from my experience I recommend NOT getting a remap if your bike is running fine without it.
626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #108
Lumpyboy
Adventurer

Thanks 626. I saw your post on ktmtalk. Seems to be no reason to remap.
Lumpyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #109
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack
I haven't received my SBK yet, but am concerned about the noise that others have reported. My hearing is diminished these days from a long history of riding loud bikes and shooting. I wear ear plugs when riding, but want to lessen the chance of additional hearing loss. I can't find any mention of db inserts or spark arrestors for the SBK on the Leo Vince web site. Can you give me a lead on the availability and price of these parts?
A few folks are concerned about the DB levels on the LV as well as other aftermarket pipes. I don't have the DB readings as of yet but the SBK sounds right in the 96 DB arena.

If I were to compare the sound level of the SBK with a bike most are familiar with, I would say it sounds similiar to a 950 with Akra's.
The SBK comes with the quiet insert installed already, when you pull it out then you hear some bark.
I don't think the SBK is loud but others feel that it may be louder then they anticipated.

Your not going to get a comparetively quiet pipe to OEM unless you restrict exhaust flow.

We have a local guy that will be taking his bike down to LV so they can experiment with shaving some DB's, I'll keep everyone posted.

Sent you a PM Jack..

James
Old 09-17-2008, 02:47 PM   #110
ravine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
A few folks are concerned about the DB levels on the LV as well as other aftermarket pipes. I don't have the DB readings as of yet but the SBK sounds right in the 96 DB arena.

If I were to compare the sound level of the SBK with a bike most are familiar with, I would say it sounds similiar to a 950 with Akra's.
The SBK comes with the quiet insert installed already, when you pull it out then you hear some bark.
I don't think the SBK is loud but others feel that it may be louder then they anticipated.

Your not going to get a comparetively quiet pipe to OEM unless you restrict exhaust flow.

We have a local guy that will be taking his bike down to LV so they can experiment with shaving some DB's, I'll keep everyone posted.

Sent you a PM Jack..

James
Practically free and no tools required... Bo and I discussed possible DB reduction solutions for the Leo Vince SBK slip-on. His suggestion was to either make a smaller diameter exit pipe, lengthen the existing exit pipe, or do both. All these solutions will lower the volume at the expense of reduced horsepower. My immediate priority was db reduction so I was willing to make that compromise.

Thus began the search and I found a solution at my local ACE hardware store. A galvenized 1" to 3/4" reducer bushing for a total cost $1.14 + tax in parts and 10 seconds labor. It works great! At low rpms it's not that much louder than stock. Perfectly acceptable for grocery runs and early morning commuting. Whack open the throttle and it barks nicely like a big bore orange thumper should. Yet not nearly as loud as Harley or a sportbike with an aftermarket exhaust. The front wheel(ie) dyno suggests no appreciable loss in hp from the stock LV db reducer and seems to still have more than the ktm stocker.

Yes, I admit it's tacky and an insult to the overall beauty of the bike - A design engineer I am not. But like I said, my priority was to civilize the volume of this pipe. I think I accomplished that goal. I love this pipe now. It's smaller and less expensive than an Akra/Wings, and probably the same volume.

ravine screwed with this post 09-17-2008 at 03:43 PM
ravine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:59 AM   #111
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles

Sent you a PM Jack..

James
James, I got my LV yesterday.

The sound level seems ok (not too loud). I did the 15 minute ritual and the bike does seem to run stronger, but there is some popping on deceleration. So maybe it is running a little lean. I'm wondering if you must disconnect the battery for a few minutes before doing the the 15 minute FI learn?
2008 KTM 690 Enduro

DirtJack screwed with this post 09-20-2008 at 07:39 PM
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:35 AM   #112
Lumpyboy
Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, I admit it's tacky and an insult to the overall beauty of the bike - A design engineer I am not. But like I said, my priority was to civilize the volume of this pipe.
Nice job. Get some hi-temp paint and paint it black. Might dress it up a bit.

Quote:
I did the 15 minute ritual and the bike does seem to run stronger, but there is some popping on deceleration. So may it is running a little lean. I'm wondering if you must disconnect the battery for a few minutes before doing the the 15 minute FI learn?
I got my Wings pipe yesterday. Dealer told me no need to disconnect battery before the 15 minute ritual. I worry about a lean condition so I am going to get some miles on the stocker first then switch to the Wings. If there is decel popping, then I will get the Akra map. I have heard that folks with the Wings pipe have not had decel popping, so I am hopeful.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #113
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,746
Quote:
The sound level seems ok (not too loud). I did the 15 minute ritual and the bike does seem to run stronger, but there is some popping on deceleration. So may it is running a little lean. I'm wondering if you must disconnect the battery for a few minutes before doing the the 15 minute FI learn?
Try disconnecting the battery for a while and reconnect and see if that takes care of the decel pop issue.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #114
ravine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpyboy
Nice job. Get some hi-temp paint and paint it black. Might dress it up a bit.
Thanks. Another thought I had was to have a local machinist fab up a cleaner looking and better designed version. Perhaps even do a small run of them and offer them for sale via my local LV dealer. May do that while bike is in for seat bushing warranty work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpyboy
I got my Wings pipe yesterday. Dealer told me no need to disconnect battery before the 15 minute ritual. I worry about a lean condition so I am going to get some miles on the stocker first then switch to the Wings. If there is decel popping, then I will get the Akra map. I have heard that folks with the Wings pipe have not had decel popping, so I am hopeful.
Coincidently, a wings exhaust showed up at my home yesterday too. I ordered both the LV and Wings about 2.5 months ago. Wings US importer said they'd call me prior to shipping to confirm. Plan was to cancel the order of whatever pipe didn't arrive first - both exhausts are in high demand so not a problem for either company. Apparently the importer shipped it without calling me so I'm now the new owner.

Fit and finish is very nice but the can looks to be much longer than the LV. My feeling is that it just exposes more of the exhaust to potential damage. I'm happy with the LV so I haven't installed it yet. It might be for sale soon.

Also, I forgot to mention that I haven't had a stall since mounting the pipe fitting. Additional back pressure richens the mixture I suppose.
ravine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #115
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
James, I got my LV yesterday.

The sound level seems ok (not too loud). I did the 15 minute ritual and the bike does seem to run stronger, but there is some popping on deceleration. So maybe it is running a little lean. I'm wondering if you must disconnect the battery for a few minutes before doing the the 15 minute FI learn?
I've now made a run with my 690e and the new LV with the 35 mm spark arrestor. It is a little quieter than the 33 mm standard db reducer and runs much better than the stock pipe. I'm now convinced that it is a good idea to disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes before doing the 15 minute FI learn as the bike now runs without popping on deceleration. It might be that even though the spark arrestor is larger diameter, the exhaust, being pushed through a thin wire screen) generates enough additional back pressure to cause the FI learn to produce a bit richer map. What ever the reason, I like the way this bike runs.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro

DirtJack screwed with this post 10-02-2008 at 09:02 AM
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #116
JohnnieWinona
ol'cowboy

Oddometer: 30
i've had my Akra for 6 weeks. i did the 15 min idle. i get no stalling, and no decel popping. It could just be me, but it seems to run better the more miles it accumulates, about 3000 now. Because it ran well, i decided not to remap. i live at 7600', i use setting 2 and 3. (big difference between the two).
Old 09-26-2008, 11:46 PM   #117
amshooter
n00b

Oddometer: 0
FMF Powercore 4

I ordered a FMF Powercore 4. Its relatively cheap at $249 (On backorder everywhere until 10/15/08) My dealer will install the KTM map for the Akrapovic. Maybe not the perfect setup, but Im pretty sure it will work fine.
amshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:28 AM   #118
woodsrider

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieWinona
i... i did the 15 min idle. i get no stalling, and no decel popping....Because it ran well, i decided not to remap.
Same here and no issues. As long as it's running fine, I have no interest in the remap...it just increases the odds that something else will go awry, especially if your dealer is not up to speed on the bike.

1997.5 KTM 200LE Jackpiner
'75 Bultaco 250 Alpina (M137)
woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #119
SnapCracklePop
Re-Noobified

Oddometer: 7
Wicked Leo Vince

OK - got my group-buy Leo Vince today!! Thanks James!

There was one thing in the bottom of the box I wasn't sure about , a disk with 5 holes in it .
It fits perfectly into the "in" end of the muffler , maybe to restrict and quiet it down some more?

Anybody know for sure?
Attached Images

'08 KTM 690 Enduro
SnapCracklePop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #120
Lumpyboy
Adventurer

Quote:
I've now made a run with my 690e and the new LV with the 35 mm spark arrestor. It is a little quieter than the 33 mm standard db reducer and runs much better than the stock pipe. I'm now convinced that it is a good idea to disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes before doing the 15 minute FI learn as the bike now runs without popping on deceleration. It might be that even though the spark arrestor is larger diameter, the exhaust, being pushed through a thin wire screen) generates enough additional back pressure to cause the FI learn to produce a bit richer map. What ever the reason, I like the way this bike runs.
Sounds odd to me. I would think the smaller diameter dB reducer would be quieter and produce more back pressure. Does the 33mm have a s/a screen? Maybe that's the difference.