ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2008, 05:48 AM   #16
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
Who did I call a country bumpkin? The right to defend one's land and property is rooted in our Country's history. Also, check out Cowboy's post where a rider was run off the road. The incidents are not uncommon. Why?

My father in-law, who owned a Ranch for several years in BFE Montana dealt with hunters for years tearing up his land because they were too lazy to walk after an Antelope.

When we/you role down a private road, all those happy feelings come rolling on back for these folks.

You strike me as a young guy. So maybe the concept that someone might shoot at you for riding on their land might strike you as strange. I caution you-it is more common than you think.

Again, if you read my post, my point is that if you make a point of riding private roads, come prepared.

And yes, a loaded weapon is sometimes apart of your riding gear. But that is a whole different post.

I take that very seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode
I live in the hills, i know the people who own land up here, who own those kind of 'private' roads. I *am* that country bumpkin you're referring to, seriously, noones going to shoot at you. If you roll up into someones front yard they might come out on the porch and yell at you, but i can assure you noone is going to be pointing a loaded gun at a stranger anywhere i can think of.
Noone is going to shoot at you, seriously. Thats like saying dont ride on roads in LA cause some gang banger is going to start taking pot shots at you. Of course theres always the odd incident where some nut bag does start shooting, but that happens in every walk of life and theres no rule to avoiding places because people are going to shoot at you (ok maybe an active war zone).
I dont think you're doing it right if part of your riding gear for the day is a loaded gun, that might be how you roll thats fine and dandy, but i dont think a valid reason is because you roll up someones driveway on accident in broad daylight on a dirt bike in the middle of dirtbike country.

Edit partial PUI:
Its 2008, its colorado, its summer time, its broad daylight. If you seriously think people are going to be discharging lethal rounds at you for basically no reason, and that a reasonable reaction to this fear is to tote a loaded gun in public land, than i dont think i'd be too far off to say you're nuttier than a fruitcake (i do mean that in a joking manner tho dont take too much offense pig :))
Old 07-21-2008, 07:19 AM   #17
Special Purpose

Oddometer: 5,458
If it goes through on the map, and the sign is not government-made, I'll usually ride on through. None of the signs you posted would stop me if the road was shown as going through on the map.

Though the government does a piss-poor job of many things, they seem to be pretty good about marking private roads.

If I were to find myself in the wrong and facing an angry land owner, I'd apologize, turn around, and leave. I think planning to get off the bike to shoot it out with them is idiotic.
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:19 AM   #18
Werewolf
I Bite.

Oddometer: 194
The likelyhood that a sober, law-abiding citizen will shoot AT you with a GUN on purpose is miniscule (unless, of course, you are threatening them on their own land... which is called Make My Day in CO).
That said, I prefer a wrist-rocket for consequence without evidence, and who said I was sober?

"I'm gonna rise like Frankenstein
Come alive like Frankenstein
Go mental in the moonlight
Kick some ass and hit the gas!"
The Bags, Dark Days in the Valley
Mount Rockmore, 2006?

"Twas ever thus/Don't mean sheeit/Just passin' thru"
Mr. Natural, 1970?
Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:41 AM   #19
arroyo
??????????????????

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by 309
If I were to find myself in the wrong and facing an angry land owner, I'd apologize, turn around, and leave
offer em cookies, that helps too...

COHVCO | Stay The Trail | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
arroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:04 AM   #20
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,641
And then there is Ward !!!

Actually I have only been Threatened twice in my life. Once up on Left Hand rec area a long, long time ago and one by the lovely person that lives in the white trailer up by the Glory Hole in Central city, YES and both times while I was on a clearly marked county or FS road. So you just never can tell.

Marc

Lomax screwed with this post 07-21-2008 at 10:36 AM
Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #21
rdrcr56
Just passing through

Oddometer: 59
wrist rockets are cool, so I guess I'll leave the .500 Wyoming express at home from now on.
rdrcr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #22
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Im saying that assuming everyone that owns land out in the woods shoots on sight comes off to me at least the same way saying everyone that lives out in the woods plays banjos and has a still way out 'yonder.
Just because theres isolated incidents of crazy people doesnt mean its common. Someone walked into a school on more than one occasion and started shooting, does that mean that every caucasion male between 16 and 25 should be locked up because they're just going to go nuts and start shooting at people? My point is that theres abberations to every collection of data, and just because they are shocking or severe doesnt mean everyone has to run for cover.
And as for bringing a loaded gun with you everywhere you go, lets say you do find yourself on someones property inadvertantly. What are you going to do with that gun, shoot at him first? Dive behind your bike and have yourself a firefight? What if you do get in trouble, how would having a loaded gun on your possesion help you at all with the authorities?

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #23
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by 309
If it goes through on the map, and the sign is not government-made, I'll usually ride on through. None of the signs you posted would stop me if the road was shown as going through on the map.

Though the government does a piss-poor job of many things, they seem to be pretty good about marking private roads.

If I were to find myself in the wrong and facing an angry land owner, I'd apologize, turn around, and leave. I think planning to get off the bike to shoot it out with them is idiotic.

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #24
Werewolf
I Bite.

Oddometer: 194
Ahhh, Ward. Claymores & kilts & chainsaws, think they have a good size catapult too. They just had their annual Fireworks War (horizontal mortars, not bottle rockets), my son was there said there weren't too many serious burns. A good place to NOT ride down private roads unless you know who you'll meet there.

"I'm gonna rise like Frankenstein
Come alive like Frankenstein
Go mental in the moonlight
Kick some ass and hit the gas!"
The Bags, Dark Days in the Valley
Mount Rockmore, 2006?

"Twas ever thus/Don't mean sheeit/Just passin' thru"
Mr. Natural, 1970?
Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #25
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf
Ahhh, Ward. Claymores & kilts
10+ points. I think that is the best description of Ward I have ever heard.

Marc
Old 07-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #26
big_lv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
And as for bringing a loaded gun with you everywhere you go, lets say you do find yourself on someones property inadvertantly. What are you going to do with that gun, shoot at him first? Dive behind your bike and have yourself a firefight? What if you do get in trouble, how would having a loaded gun on your possesion help you at all with the authorities?
And if nothing else you have 1 handgun with maybe 1 clip. They're at their house... they probably are stocked with ammo. I think they win regardless. All yer gonna do us make 'em mad.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #27
arroyo
??????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf
Ahhh, Ward. Claymores & kilts & chainsaws, think they have a good size catapult too. They just had their annual Fireworks War (horizontal mortars, not bottle rockets), my son was there said there weren't too many serious burns. A good place to NOT ride down private roads unless you know who you'll meet there.
this coming from a guy in a town who's most famous celebrity is a dead guy on dry ice in a tuff shed...

arroyo screwed with this post 07-21-2008 at 11:59 AM
Old 07-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #28
arroyo
??????????????????

Quote:
not to mention that if you pull a weapon on some one else's land, you just gave them the right to shoot you under the 'make my day' law (as mentioned above)

the only thing adding another weapon to the situation (confronted by an agitated, armed property owner on their land) is guaranteed to do is take things from 'bad' to 'worse'

Old 07-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #29
RdrMtn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig
Who did I call a country bumpkin? The right to defend one's land and property is rooted in our Country's history. Also, check out Cowboy's post where a rider was run off the road. The incidents are not uncommon. Why?

My father in-law, who owned a Ranch for several years in BFE Montana dealt with hunters for years tearing up his land because they were too lazy to walk after an Antelope.

When we/you role down a private road, all those happy feelings come rolling on back for these folks.

You strike me as a young guy. So maybe the concept that someone might shoot at you for riding on their land might strike you as strange. I caution you-it is more common than you think.

Again, if you read my post, my point is that if you make a point of riding private roads, come prepared.

And yes, a loaded weapon is sometimes apart of your riding gear. But that is a whole different post.

I take that very seriously.
I'm gonna start carrying a loaded weapon with me from now on, just in case I need to shoot back at someone.

I don't doubt that someone would shoot at or around me if I'm in the really wrong place at the really wrong time though. When that happens I'll be gettin the hell out of there.
RdrMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:58 AM   #30
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
How about a view from the other side of the fence.

I live down the end of a dirt road. The maps and government shows the road going on and connecting to another road, but it was never graded and you will have a hard time walking it. Now to provide an emergency exit, I did grade a second road that does connect the two, but it's nothing more then one pass with a D4 and requires 4x4 due to the 45 degree grade. It has many gates on it due to livestock and has not been used in years.

The main dirt roads that leads up to my place has a few houses on it and lots of signs saying "Dead End, No Exit" and the like. We do get lost people all the time, but most just turn around.

Not this one guy. He passes one gate that happens to be open at the time. When he gets to the second closed gate with electric opener, he does what any brain dead primate would do. Pushes really hard, bending the gate opener bracket, but not getting it open to the point he could get his van past the gap.

At this point, he looks to his right and see a chained up old metal gate that leads to the back pasture. The gate was not locked but had a chain and clasp on it and that must be as good as open to fugbrains eyes.

So off he goes, heading across the pasture and finds the old emergency road. Now air for brains is in a lowered AstroVan with bald tires. How the crap he made it down this road, I do not know. He even make it over the mud pit, but not before digging up the hard layer of dirt that was on top of the mud.

At this point, after going past some more open gates and pasture roads that had not seen anything more then a tractor in 5 years, he finds himself at the top of the big hill with the 45 degree road. Victory in sight (with a locked gate at the very end) he goes for it, but panics when the van on slicks starts sliding and hits a big rock.

At this point, he is stuck, so he calls his buddies to come help. They are not as brain dead and park at the first locked gate and walk over. According to them, it took 5 guys and 2 hours to back the AstroVan up 20 feet back to the top of the hill.

After what I hope is a good beating, the guy drives the AstroVan back the way he came, but sinks it into the mud pit. The thing is up to the frame in mud. At this point, I am aware of what AstroBoy has done and I sitting on a rock watching them dig with anything they happen to have. After a good hour, I get tired with their digging and offer them shovels, wood, and a jack. 2 hours later, they managed to get the van to sink by 4 inches more.

At this point, I could get the tractor and pull them out, or get the backhoe and dig a hole about the size of 5 guys. But then I would still have the AstroVan stuck and I didn't want to deal with it.

That van was stuck as even the tractor was spinning all 4 wheels trying to pull it out. After another hour of digging and pulling, I get it free and drag that van all the way back to the road with no extra care.

So the next time you see one of those "private road" signs, it just might be because we are sick of pulling your sorry butt out of the mud.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote