User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2004, 01:05 AM   #1
Scaramanga OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
LC4 Adventure question

I just picked up my '03 on Saturday and have been riding it to and from work this week - was tinkering with the brake pedal lastnight and I noticed on the right hand crank case sight glass there were traces of oil seeping! WTF - do they all do this?! I guess I will be popping back to my dealer.

Also how do you stop front brake squeal? Just grease the back of the pads with copper grease?

Thanks for any replies.
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:25 AM   #2
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga
I noticed on the right hand crank case sight glass there were traces of oil seeping! WTF - do they all do this?! .
It is not uncommon for the window to seep, mine does. You can pop in a new window or run a bead of silicone around the outside or leave it alone.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:47 AM   #3
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:

Also how do you stop front brake squeal? Just grease the back of the pads with copper grease?

Thanks for any replies.
Brake squeal? - They all do that Sir!

(But you could try EBC pads, they helped cut down on noise for me)
Old 03-12-2004, 04:50 AM   #4
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,330
The dreaded Adventure brake squeal. I tried every goop known to man on the backing, every type of pad I could buy, and none of it worked. Sounded like a cement truck when I used the front brake.

Was seriously pissed, and KTM was no help. Left me feeling quite strongly about how this company fails to stand behind their product. The vast majority of Adv owners had the same problem, and KTM did nothing. Claimed they'd never heard of this problem, it was unique. Funny how I know of over 50 of these machines that have this problem, yet they say it's "unique". Sommer KTM in Germany knows about the prob, heard they had a fix, but that's a rumor.

Found the solution one day: Was out for the weekend, riding our bikes like we stole them. High speed off-road with lots of dust, mud holes, just general shit and abuse.
Noticed when I got home, no more squeal. Fucked if I know why.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:28 AM   #5
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,247
made loud to be played loud maybe, thanks for the tip
HighwayChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 06:41 AM   #6
QMan
prof. dirt mover

Oddometer: 180
Who cares about the breaks making noise, it's a dirtbike, not a bloody porsche.

This thing is made to ride!
QMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:13 AM   #7
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,582
Hell, my 03 adv 640 made all kinds of squealing, and groaning at first, but with some antivibrate stuff on the back of the pads and some miles, all is gone.. Happy again!
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:31 AM   #8
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
From day one my front groaned and the rear squealed like a pig. I replaced the rear pads with some EBCs and bedded the front....quiet like hell now.

CC
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:38 AM   #9
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,291
Mine doesn't squeal, but if it did, I certainly wouldn't be making a big deal out of it with KTM. Brake squeal comes and goes with all bikes and as someone else said, it's a rough-tumble dual-sport, not a Lexus.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:54 AM   #10
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
Found the solution one day: Was out for the weekend, riding our bikes like we stole them. High speed off-road with lots of dust, mud holes, just general shit and abuse.
Noticed when I got home, no more squeal. Fucked if I know why.

Yep..the BTSOOT Solutions (Beat the snot out of them!)...Worked for me too...Just go for an ass-kicking mud infested, crazy long ride with some high speed sport bike-chasing runs, and the brakes will squeel no more!!!
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:11 AM   #11
inte
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,736
Quote:
I just picked up my '03 on Saturday and have been riding it to and from work this week - was tinkering with the brake pedal lastnight and I noticed on the right hand crank case sight glass there were traces of oil seeping! WTF - do they all do this?! I guess I will be popping back to my dealer.

Thanks for any replies.
Mine squeals like crazy too ... front and rear - using both brakes the more you favour one brake over the other, the more noise that brake will make. Doesn't do it after hard off-road riding for whatever reason - like the others mentioned.

SIGHT GLASS -

Mine was leaking pretty good the day I bought it. I went into a shop to look at another brand new '03 640 on the showroom floor - that same glass was leaking! I pulled mine out & put some locktite around the perimeter - no luck - it was apparently leaking from the junction between the glass & rubber gromet. Bought a new glass for $8 (US) - I think it fixed the problem, but I'll give it a few more miles to be sure. Small leak any rate - not enough to worry about.

I've gotten into the habbit of spraying a light coat of WD-40 all over the engine after washing - really helps prevent dirt from working it's way into tight spots & binding there when doing a lot of off-road - plus helps prevent corrosion from water & salt air exposure. The WD-40 may be hiding any leak coming from the glass.
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 11:52 AM   #12
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by inte
I've gotten into the habbit of spraying a light coat of WD-40 all over the engine after washing - really helps prevent dirt from working it's way into tight spots & binding there when doing a lot of off-road - plus helps prevent corrosion from water & salt air exposure. The WD-40 may be hiding any leak coming from the glass.
Neat trick. Gonna try that one.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:47 PM   #13
wjohnb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
#1 Brake squeal. I got tired of all the people in the village looking at me every time I stopped at the intersection!!!

So, I remembered an OLD trick from english cars, file a slight bevel on the very front and rear of the pad surface, guess what, no more squealing!

#2, For the past 30 years, I have mixed 50/50 gas and 10W30 and put it in an old Armour All spray bottle. After a wash and nearly dry, spray the undersides of fenders, tank, engine, the works. Go jump in puddles again and the next time you wash it, it looks like new again. I originally had to use it liberally as I used to ride all year round and the salt used to eat Suzuki's alive!

It's not very environmentally friendly but it sure works.

PS, DON NOT SPRAY IT ONTO THE SPARK PLUG CAP, it rots the rubbers there very quickly, I know as I had arcing in water.
I now use the RED coloured silicone NGK plug cap and use dielectric grease in that area and now I can spray to my hearts content!

All the Best, JohnB
wjohnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 01:49 PM   #14
wjohnb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
OOOPS PS DO NOT SPRAY OIL ONTO YOUR BRAKES OR DISCS, YOU WILL ONLY DO IT ONCE!!!!!!

Again, all the Best, JohnB
wjohnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 11:10 PM   #15
inte
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
Neat trick. Gonna try that one.
Like wjohnb said - avoid hitting your rotors with the stuff. BUT also mist the pipe and endcap of your pipe - helps prevent corrosion there too (you'll smell the stuff burning or something for a little while the first time the bike is run after this - not a concern).
inte is offline   Reply With Quote