User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
carlaking OP
Miss Adventuring

Oddometer: 49
Pissed What's a Chick Bike?

I have just got to know what is all this about "chick bikes." I hear the term more and more often now.

I'm 5"7' 130 pounds. Ride a big BMW K75RT and a little 500 cc Enfield, and have ridden everything from a tiny Honda trail bike to a Fat Boy, sidehacks, too. What makes a chick bike? Is it smaller? Is it prettier? Is it sexier? Quieter? Cute and cuddly? Is there or should there be such a category? Can chicks only call other chick's chick bikes chick bikes? "Hey girlfriend, look at that Monster. It is such a cool chick bike..."

There are plenty of guys shorter than me who are learning to ride who need a low seat height and underpowered engine - which is how I've heard chick bikes described - so that can't be it. Really.

Here are a few bikes I've heard called chick bikes, and not all of them are "underpowered" - there must be more. Do we - chicks, that is - like them better? Would a guy - even a learner - be caught dead on any of them if they were branded as chick bikes?
  • Ducati Monster
  • Harley Sportster
  • Ninja 250
  • Honda Rebel
  • Aprilia Shiver

Gotta know . . .
carlaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
2ndSPACE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,390
FZ6

2ndSPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
dircha
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
A motorcycle considered to be in the same category as another, but having substantially less power and typically a lower seat height, except where the cost of the latter is substantially above the norm for its peers.
dircha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by dircha
A motorcycle considered to be in the same category as another, but having substantially less power and typically a lower seat height, except where the cost of the latter is substantially above the norm for its peers.

...and it's a damn shame that people feel inclined tack that label on to a machine.

Any bike I ride is a 'chick bike'.
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
redstripesailor
Swarthy Swab

Oddometer: 59
The folks I work with (guys AND GIRLS) all ride Harleys and they refer to the Sportster as a "chick bike". It's the smallest in the HD line-up, I think that's the only reason it's gets that moniker. It's funny to hear the girls talking about a chick bike or bitch bike though.

I ride a Triumph and I'm a little out of touch with the HD crowd and it's mentality, but I like the sportster. It would be my pick if I ever wanted a hog.

And for the record they don't differintiate between the 883 and 1200 sportsters, they call them both "chick bikes"
Old 07-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
2ndSPACE
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieGS
...and it's a damn shame that people feel inclined tack that label on to a machine.

Any bike I ride is a 'chick bike'.
That could be interesting.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
celticgent
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,049
IMHO the ducati monster and aprillia shiver have too much horsepower/wt. for a beginner, and the sportster is too heavy for a beginner.

CAN a beginner ride and learn on them? YES.
best case scenario? NO.

as far as any of those you mentioned being 'chick bikes', well that's what some people who need to make themselves superior or 'manly' like to say about anything that's not either a racebike or something that's over 700 lbs. it's a shame, really and it's basically idiots measuring penis size by a vehicle.

and as far as whether or not a guy would ride them...

i'm a guy and own a sporty, and i definitely would LOVE to own either a monster, shiver, and even the ninja 250. the 250 rebel is too underpowered for me IMHO, but i would wouldn't begrudge anyone for owning one.

a true biker or motorcycle enthusiast will tell you it's not WHAT you ride, it's THAT you ride.

cheers
celticgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndSPACE
That could be interesting.
'chick bikes' I have ridden:

Triumph Scrambler
XT 225
DRZ400
EX500
WR250F
CRF230F
R80 airhead
Goldwing
KTM 400EXC
Piaggio MP3
BMW G650X
BMW HP2
KTM 950
BMW 1150GS
R100GS
Hayabusa
Honda XR75

yup, chick, bikes. every one of 'em.
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
crooked roads
I'm back

Oddometer: 848
tell me

Than The chicks will come . I'll buy one of em (the bike I mean)
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:01 PM   #10
longrider999
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
WOMEN and MOTORCYCLES

carlaking,my first harley was a 91 HD 1200 sportster.it was a bike id consider owning again.i like the sound and performance.there seems to be an opinion in the USA that bigger is better.especially in SOME of the HD crowd.i couldnt wait to get a 94 HD ultra classic so that id have the biggest HD available.and its a great bike for touring.i have women friends who i ride with who own everything from 50cc mopeds to a 91 HD softail.its the same wind that hits my face if im on a 50cc scooter or a boss hoss.theres alot of wannaaabbeee riders around.id say if they call youre bike a chick bike theyre in that catagory.my .02.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #11
2ndSPACE
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieGS
'chick bikes' I have ridden:

Triumph Scrambler
XT 225
DRZ400
EX500
WR250F
CRF230F
R80 airhead
Goldwing
KTM 400EXC
Piaggio MP3
BMW G650X
BMW HP2
KTM 950
BMW 1150GS
R100GS
Hayabusa
Honda XR75

yup, chick, bikes. every one of 'em.
exactly!

You've single handedly turned many great machines into chick bikes.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #12
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,116
Chick bike. Not a term to take seriously.

Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #13
carlaking OP
Miss Adventuring

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticgent
IMHO the ducati monster and aprillia shiver have too much horsepower/wt. for a beginner, and the sportster is too heavy for a beginner.

CAN a beginner ride and learn on them? YES.
best case scenario? NO.

i'm a guy and own a sporty, and i definitely would LOVE to own either a monster, shiver, and even the ninja 250. the 250 rebel is too underpowered for me IMHO, but i would wouldn't begrudge anyone for owning one.

a true biker or motorcycle enthusiast will tell you it's not WHAT you ride, it's THAT you ride.
Absolutely! The Rebel is definitely the only one in that list I would call a decent learners bike. I've got to say that I'm a bit disturbed when manufacturers tout 600cc motorcycles as beginner/mid-level bikes -- the magazines, too. Not surprising that they want to sell now and then sell up. And women are a huge market now. But it's like, if you're experienced, you must have something over 1000cc's. And you see that accident rates go up when price comes down + power goes up, as in the teenagers who split lanes at 80mph wearing shorts and tennies. But that's another topic... are those bikes (I listed) - sexier? Or cuter? I know that Ural (sidecars) have marketed to women because they're cute, easy to ride (3 wheels), can carry the groceries, and cheap (family 2nd bike). And I know from riding one for years that women love love love that bike. Not that men don't. I think all the bikes on that list are sexy. I don't think that, no matter how rideable it might be, the V-Strom would ever be called a chick bike.
carlaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:09 PM   #14
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Part of the reason my beloved HawkGTs were such an utter sales flop inthe US is they got pidgeonholed as beginner or chick-bikes. Smaller, lighter, easier to handle. Heck, I love the things. Hawks, that is. Well, chicks too.

Bandit 400s, VRF 400s, VTR 250s, Buell Blasts - anything that a smaller person could ride as a beginner, competantly, and without the intimidation of more weight or a higher saddle than necessary.

Don't let labels take away options.

Just look at the classic 'Chick Car" of all time; the VW Cabrio. They're a hoot, affordable, comfortable and practical. ( wife owned one )

Let's face it, in many ways women really are smarter.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #15
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstripesailor
The folks I work with (guys AND GIRLS) all ride Harleys and they refer to the Sportster as a "chick bike". It's the smallest in the HD line-up, I think that's the only reason it's gets that moniker. It's funny to hear the girls talking about a chick bike or bitch bike though.

I ride a Triumph and I'm a little out of touch with the HD crowd and it's mentality, but I like the sportster. It would be my pick if I ever wanted a hog.

And for the record they don't differintiate between the 883 and 1200 sportsters, they call them both "chick bikes"
They call em Girlsters in these parts.

Tim
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote