ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #241
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer
 
Ockrocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Windsor NSW [near enough]
Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggs View Post
As far as I'm aware there is no larger tank made available for the KLE. The previous owner had a Nomad style tank fitted at some stage as there are fuel lines going to the rear of the bike. When I bought it he mentioned to me that if I want to enlarge the original fuel tank he knows someone who can do it but two standard tanks are needed. At this stage I want to get it back on the road, then I'll see where I want to go with it from there.
Can you measure across the frame tubes for us?
To see how much "gap" is needed under a tank to straddle it.

Steve at AdventureMoto said he would see what after market tanks [such as Safari or similar] might fit off another brand/model of bike, but I need to take my bike over there so we can pull the tank off to check.
Unfortunately I haven't had time to do it yet.
__________________
Windsor [near enough] NSW

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #242
KLE Andy
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
Can you measure across the frame tubes for us?
To see how much "gap" is needed under a tank to straddle it.

Steve at AdventureMoto said he would see what after market tanks [such as Safari or similar] might fit off another brand/model of bike, but I need to take my bike over there so we can pull the tank off to check.
Unfortunately I haven't had time to do it yet.
Well please do it when you get the chance. I am riding around Australia and S/E Asia next year, and a bigger fuel tank would do wonders!!
KLE Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #243
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure
 
Tiggs's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: North Brisbane
Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
Can you measure across the frame tubes for us?
To see how much "gap" is needed under a tank to straddle it.

Steve at AdventureMoto said he would see what after market tanks [such as Safari or similar] might fit off another brand/model of bike, but I need to take my bike over there so we can pull the tank off to check.
Unfortunately I haven't had time to do it yet.


1. At the widest point the measurement "between" the frame tubes is 253mm or 290mm from centre to centre of frame tubing.

2. At the narrowest point at the front fuel tank mount it is 180mm "between" the frame tubing.

3. At the rear tank mount it is 220mm "between" the frame tubing or 255mm from centre to centre of frame tubing.

4. The length down the frame from the centre of the front rubber tank mounts to the centre of the rear tank mount is 510mm.

I hope this helps.
__________________
. . . . "but it would never be a match for a trumpy 800 or 990 for serious offroad" . . . Phil Hodgens aka Philth

2011 Yamaha XT660R
1996 Yamaha TRX850
Tiggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:21 AM   #244
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer
 
Ockrocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Windsor NSW [near enough]
Oddometer: 1,065
Thanks Tigggs.

I will draw those measurements on to a piece of cardboard, it will give me a rough starting point for Steve without initially pulling my bike apart.

If there is nothing after market that is "ball park" then I might have to look at getting the tank custom modified.

I currently strap a 7.5 litre flat RotoPax fuel container on to my rear rack then strap my tent/camping bag on top of it.

Although this is not ideal, it gives me about the same fuel capacity as my Wee-Strom.

I have an idea for making a rack that I can slide the RotoPax in and out of without removing my camping gear.

Modifying or changing the fuel tank plus the RotoPax would give me some serious fuel capacity.

Andy, whatever I do sort out is bound to end up being posted on the forum.
__________________
Windsor [near enough] NSW

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #245
MadM
Dreamer
 
MadM's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Slovenia
Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
Thanks Tigggs.

I will draw those measurements on to a piece of cardboard, it will give me a rough starting point for Steve without initially pulling my bike apart.

If there is nothing after market that is "ball park" then I might have to look at getting the tank custom modified.

I currently strap a 7.5 litre flat RotoPax fuel container on to my rear rack then strap my tent/camping bag on top of it.

Although this is not ideal, it gives me about the same fuel capacity as my Wee-Strom.

I have an idea for making a rack that I can slide the RotoPax in and out of without removing my camping gear.

Modifying or changing the fuel tank plus the RotoPax would give me some serious fuel capacity.

Andy, whatever I do sort out is bound to end up being posted on the forum.

Well if I may suggest a few tanks that I have been looking at as a possible candidates:
-KTM 950 Super Enduro R Safari 30L tank (a bit of a overkill, but it would give me a 650km of autonomy)
-Honda Transalp 650
-Honda Africa Twin
-Maybe Honda XR650R Acerbiss tank 25L
-Kawasaki Versys 650


I know that KTM 640 Adventure tank does not fit, It is to narrow. If I was to make my own tank, I would try to get it made out off plastic like all dirt bikes to lower weight but that might be expensive as one off.7

Today I was back working on some finishing touches on the conversion. I still have to make a frame stops and ignition switch holder. Hopefully till the weekend I will have the brake caliper bracket made and can have a quick test run. For the sake of picture I put the front headlight back on to at least look like a KLE in the picture
__________________
'08 Honda XL125V Varadero
'05 Kawasaki KLE 500
My Blog
MadM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #246
chadams
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Blue Mountains
Oddometer: 209
another fuel option

Adventure-spec.com makes a 8.5 lt tank for the rear left. It could work on the kle,but might need to relocate/swap out the coolant res.

__________________
Current ride:- 2002 KLX400R
Previous rides:-09 f800gs, 05 z750, 81 z1000j, 84 gpz1100, 98 dr250, 99 dr250, 96 dr350, 93 rf900, 93 nx650, 98 xtz660, 97 dt200r
chadams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:45 AM   #247
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer
 
Ockrocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Windsor NSW [near enough]
Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams View Post
Adventure-spec.com makes a 8.5 lt tank for the rear left. It could work on the kle,but might need to relocate/swap out the coolant res.

Now that is a good idea.

Maybe an alloy one designed specifically to suit the KLE and expanded to about 10 litres might be feasible.

That plus my RotoPax idea for the rear rack would give great flexibility for extra fuel, 25 litres permanently on the bike in two tanks plus the extra 7.5 litres for big trips.
__________________
Windsor [near enough] NSW

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #248
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure
 
Tiggs's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: North Brisbane
Oddometer: 969
DRJoe's Desert Weapon Tanks

DRJoe made these awesome tanks for the Desert Weapon Challenge DR650. The system has a tank on both sides plus a rear luggage rack built in with it. This set up also still allows soft panniers to be used in addition to luggage on the built in luggage rack. This may also work for the KLE500, maybe Joe is prepared to make a set for a KLE?? Obviously there would also be the need to beef up the rear suspension and modify the exhaust. Not sure of the cost, but it would make the KLE500 a formidable long distance Adventure Bike. Just throwing in an idea?

__________________
. . . . "but it would never be a match for a trumpy 800 or 990 for serious offroad" . . . Phil Hodgens aka Philth

2011 Yamaha XT660R
1996 Yamaha TRX850
Tiggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #249
MadM
Dreamer
 
MadM's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Slovenia
Oddometer: 206
KLE USD Forks



First test ride is done, I am super excited at how the bike feels and handles with WP43 forks, it's completely different bike to ride. So far I am happy with the conversion. I still have to fine tune compression and rebound dampening as I don't even know if both forks are set the same. Overall I am very happy how it all turned out and how the bike feels.

More info on how it all went down and more detailed picture will be posted in the coming days. Here is one more for tonight:
__________________
'08 Honda XL125V Varadero
'05 Kawasaki KLE 500
My Blog
MadM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #250
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure
 
Tiggs's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: North Brisbane
Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadM View Post


First test ride is done, I am super excited at how the bike feels and handles with WP43 forks, it's completely different bike to ride. So far I am happy with the conversion. I still have to fine tune compression and rebound dampening as I don't even know if both forks are set the same. Overall I am very happy how it all turned out and how the bike feels.

More info on how it all went down and more detailed picture will be posted in the coming days. Here is one more for tonight:
Nice! I reckon a 640 low front guard would look great on it!
__________________
. . . . "but it would never be a match for a trumpy 800 or 990 for serious offroad" . . . Phil Hodgens aka Philth

2011 Yamaha XT660R
1996 Yamaha TRX850
Tiggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #251
MadM
Dreamer
 
MadM's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Slovenia
Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggs View Post
Nice! I reckon a 640 low front guard would look great on it!
My thoughts exactly, but they are so hard to find used here in EU.
__________________
'08 Honda XL125V Varadero
'05 Kawasaki KLE 500
My Blog
MadM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #252
MadM
Dreamer
 
MadM's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Slovenia
Oddometer: 206
Well, I have finally finshed writing and adding picture of this conversion to my blog. Everyone interested is more than welcome to check it out on THIS link.

One with fresh rubber on the rims:
__________________
'08 Honda XL125V Varadero
'05 Kawasaki KLE 500
My Blog
MadM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #253
southern cross
WARDY
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Blue Mountains
Oddometer: 321
What a great project and looks a factory job. I'll have to settle for upgraded springs, emulators and experiment with oil wts. I also plan at a later date bigger jets maybe 120's. ATM the ktm muffler works great with no hiccups anywhere so jetting is not urgent.
southern cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #254
KLE Andy
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern cross View Post
What a great project and looks a factory job. I'll have to settle for upgraded springs, emulators and experiment with oil wts. I also plan at a later date bigger jets maybe 120's. ATM the ktm muffler works great with no hiccups anywhere so jetting is not urgent.
what emulators have you used - i didnt know of a pair suitable for a KLE?
KLE Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #255
southern cross
WARDY
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Blue Mountains
Oddometer: 321
I have emulators in my V Strom 650 and also in my Z650 resto. bike. They do make a positive difference. Any emulator that is a snug fit (not tight) to the forks internal diameter will do. I haven't seriously looked yet for my KLE so can't give you a great deal if info, other than Google "intimidators or gold valve emulators" and you'll find plenty of info. I'm on my IPad now not my desk top which has some suppliers bookmarked. OK, I looked it up. Google MikesXS. His Damper Valves for a Yamaha XS650 fitted the Z650 and 1/3rd the price of the original Gold Valve.
If you are not in a great hurry I'll get back with better info but give me a week as I have a lot going ATM.

S.C.
PS. With a bicycle pump add 10 pumps of air (about 15 psi) to the air valves. These forks are designed to have max 35 psi added. These are NOT as in MX bikes but rather like 1980s sport bikes. Anyone who says different DOESN't know this bike. The air slowly drops pressure so release all air and add 15 psi before each long trip. Takes only a minute.

southern cross screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 06:05 AM
southern cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014