Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #271
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,368
Very good, it looks like you've got a tall seat as well. I got some braided brake lines this week so I'll throw them on. I've ordered the same crash bars but have to wait a bit. Suspension is my next thing if I feel like throwing some money at it. I also have a template to make a couple of little stainless brackets to lift that from fender a bit, I got some clay clogged in there once and it makes me nervousness, it was coming out for days after woulds in rock hard lumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutaki View Post
I got mine early this year. I have a KTM 640 ADV and wanted something less intense, more reliable. I like it. It could use a bit more horsepower, but if you keep in the higher rev range goes well, the motor is a smooth free revving unit. The six speed is well spaced. Carries it weight well, The two issues are front forks, tried everything they are poo, and the 15 litters, just aren't enough.
The things I have done so far, wilber rear shock, links to give it a lift. crash bars, Its got a slip on can. Sorted some soft luggage. I got a 4. L fuel cell which I have made a bag for it which zips on to the top of the big pack, not ideal but will do for now.
Things I would like to do I have a set of DRZ400 SM forks which might be OK. I am interested in getting a bigger tank. Someone said they we seeing if any thing fitted?
Maybe safari there triumph tiger one or there KTM 950 SE both have wide frames at the top. Or a rear tank. Safari make a 8 L for the Honda. You would have to mess about with the sub frame, but you would have to do some work for a front tank too.
With those changes I think it will make a OK ADV bike.
BygDaddee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:58 AM   #272
Tutaki
Warburton Hillbilly

Oddometer: 31
My KLE

Thanks I did add some foam and reupholstered the seat. I put a sheepskin on as well it's a work in progress that sheepskin. You can see the seat better in this photo

Tutaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #273
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

I've had some plans to add some foam to lift the seating position by an inch or so and move it back a bit as well, but been to busy and most of my money has gone into my new WRF lately.

Quote:
Thanks I did add some foam and reupholstered the seat. I put a sheepskin on as well it's a work in progress that sheepskin. You can see the seat better in this photo
Old 11-29-2013, 02:39 AM   #274
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
Tutaki, let all the air out of the forks.... then put 10 psi in with a hand car pump, I use one with a gauge built in to it.

The fuel tank capacity is my only real "issue" with my KLE, as yet I haven't had time to resolve it satisfactorily.

I'm using either a 5 litre jerry can in one of the saddlebags, or a 7.5 litre RotoPax strapped to the rear rack [depending if I need my top box for the trip].

I wanted to keep my bike mainly stock, though my '94 is the older single headlight model.

Auxiliary tanks are an option I suppose, enlarging the original tank was my preference as I can keep the stock nose cone and windscreen which work well for me.

If I adapt an after market tank then I would go the full ADV mask and headlight modification route [and the bike would end up looking like a modified DR650 but with six gears and a smooth engine ]

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #275
Tutaki
Warburton Hillbilly

Oddometer: 31
Bygdaddee Nice combo, hows the taller screen go on the KLE. I am thinking of replacing my KTM 640 with a smaller bike, how do you find the WR gearing, ect.

Ockrocket I have a pump with a gage on . I just don't seam to be able to get them working, I have tried all sorts of oil weights new springs. I know what you mean abbot the auxiliary tanks I might have a look at the rotopax
Tutaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #276
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Thanks, I am very happy and will be hanging into to both bikes till someone brings something better out that doesn't cost as much as a mortgage.

First of all the the KLE, I am not happy with the tall screen, it buffets your head. I just replaced it with an eagle wide touring screen and really got the same result, so I'm still searching for a solution. The rest of the bike is unbelievable, a parallel twin 6 speed, I don't understand why manufactures can't bring out a bike with similair specs as these that don't cost an arm and a leg. I've fitted aftermarket pipe, braided brake lines, run 10psi in the forks, and ride it. I have crush bars on order, and may do some suspension work. This thing is a $4k bargain.
I see there's one in Melbourne at the moment
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-AU

Now the WR, I didn't buy it to do tight single track, I bought it to do open trail rides and light adventure rides at a medium pace, and minimal tight single track. For this the way I have it set up it's the best trail bike I've ever ridden. I call it my state of the art DRZ, just the service intervals are shorter. You can read lots about it on this link, I have done suspension since these write ups and it makes it's fantastic, and my gearing is now 14/47 and for this riding it's great.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=477

Quote:
Bygdaddee Nice combo, hows the taller screen go on the KLE. I am thinking of replacing my KTM 640 with a smaller bike, how do you find the WR gearing, ect.

Ockrocket I have a pump with a gage on . I just don't seam to be able to get them working, I have tried all sorts of oil weights new springs. I know what you mean abbot the auxiliary tanks I might have a look at the rotopax

BygDaddee screwed with this post 12-01-2013 at 11:31 PM
Old 12-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #277
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,765
Hey Biggus, have you got the alloy arms of the Barkbusters mounted around the wrong way?

Never seen an arm bend upwards from the handlebar end mount, only downwards.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #278
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

One that loves Tranny's, it gave the best clearance on the larger master cylinder and longer levers, so I went with it, they are doing there job well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Hey Biggus, have you got the alloy arms of the Barkbusters mounted around the wrong way?

Never seen an arm bend upwards from the handlebar end mount, only downwards.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:53 AM   #279
southern cross
WARDY

Oddometer: 322
Nice Pics BygDaddee , the KLE in its natural environment.
southern cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #280
southern cross
WARDY

All is quiet on this thread ATM. There is a lot of action on a site in Slovenia where they have many organised events and RR posts. I haven't called in on that site for a while now, the posted pics show some great country and village areas. I used use Google translate to get some idea of the chat going on but the translation wasnt that good but often very funny gobbely gook!
I'll have to look and find that site again as I don't see it here bookmarked. I'll post it up when I find it again.
The history of Slovenia and all thru the Balkans is very interesting if you ignore the rivers of blood throughout the ages. The mountains, the rivers and streams, the quaint villages all make for a good view. Also the Alps .. so much to see but for me I think its way too late. All you younger blokes should try and ride these areas. Life really is too short to have regrets so DO IT, before it's too late.
Merry Christmas and prosperous healthy New Year!!

Southern Cross
Old 12-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #281
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Yes it's a shame the KLE wasn't more popular in Aus, it was a missed opportunity and ahead of its time, if the manufacturers would release a twin as capable and low cost as this now they would sell like hot cakes.

Last 2 days I did 400+ kilometres one day of 1/3 ruff Forrest rd, 1/3 nice smooth fast Forrest rd, 1/3 slab and twisties with a couple of hrs of 110+ Km/h highway. Then the next day rode 200km of nice twisty mountain country slab, this bike really is a budget bike that handles it all well.

Just for a bit of info after 25,000km I noticed a little bit extra free play and vibration in rear sprocket carrier, could just notice it on acceleration in the twisties. Grabbed some bearings all ex stock and ordered a cush rubber. Pulled it apart yesterday, everything looked in brand new condition inside except you could feel cush rubber had compressed a bit. I replaced the bearings and refited cush rubber with some bicycle tube over lugs to make cush a snug fit again. It was an easy job and took a bit over an hr, if I had an easy bike lift it would have been done in an hr for sure.

Everything runs as new now and will throw the new cush rubber in after it arrives on my next maintenance day after Xmas some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern cross View Post
All is quiet on this thread ATM. There is a lot of action on a site in Slovenia where they have many organised events and RR posts. I haven't called in on that site for a while now, the posted pics show some great country and village areas. I used use Google translate to get some idea of the chat going on but the translation wasnt that good but often very funny gobbely gook!
I'll have to look and find that site again as I don't see it here bookmarked. I'll post it up when I find it again.
The history of Slovenia and all thru the Balkans is very interesting if you ignore the rivers of blood throughout the ages. The mountains, the rivers and streams, the quaint villages all make for a good view. Also the Alps …….. so much to see but for me I think its way too late. All you younger blokes should try and ride these areas. Life really is too short to have regrets so DO IT, before it's too late.
Merry Christmas and prosperous healthy New Year!!

Southern Cross
Old 12-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #282
southern cross
WARDY

KLE 500 Dakar Rally Raid

Bygdaddy, I haven't located that Slovenian Address ATM but in case you missed it go back to page 11 on this thread and have a look at what seems a very capable ADV bike for very few dollars. I would like to build one when I finish my current project.
At the moment I'm building a standard looking 5.3 meter caravan that will have a second door which will be in the rear wall, thru which I will fit my bike, probably the KLE500 or the Honda Degree 250.
I'm as keen as ever to ride dirt country roads ( farmers roads I call them) but my health is still going downhill following major cancer surgery to my abdo. a few years ago. I hope to be able to still do day rides with the caravan as my base in which I can lay up when I have one of my off the scale pain attacks. In the past Ive have had the Ambo's come and fetch me from a 'van park or motel room and cart me off to hospital again on a morphine drip. I'm trying to stretch out my riding days for another year or two by using this 'van, until I have to finally give it away for good. I can't put into words how much that thought makes me shudder as motorcycles have been my only interest since my first bike in 1966. Never interested in boats etc, only bikes.
While all this is happening (the caravan) I'm trying to come up with a better colour scheme for the KLE, than my current blue with a puke gold frame. I change my colour scheme ideas non stop and can't settle on one that is "just right". The blue looks OK in that Dakar bike but the gold frame has got to go. I have all the spray gear, that part is easy but choosing the colour scheme . aaarh!
I hope to have a trip to the bush in the next few weeks, those pics you have put up make me feel great just looking at them, I gotta get out, gotta get out!

Good health ride safe
Southern Cross
Old 12-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #283
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Hope you get to do the riding you enjoy for a while yet whatever bike that may be. I've often thought an all white KLE with red frame and some red color would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern cross View Post
Bygdaddy, I haven't located that Slovenian Address ATM but in case you missed it go back to page 11 on this thread and have a look at what seems a very capable ADV bike for very few dollars. I would like to build one when I finish my current project.
At the moment I'm building a standard looking 5.3 meter caravan that will have a second door which will be in the rear wall, thru which I will fit my bike, probably the KLE500 or the Honda Degree 250.
I'm as keen as ever to ride dirt country roads ( farmers roads I call them) but my health is still going downhill following major cancer surgery to my abdo. a few years ago. I hope to be able to still do day rides with the caravan as my base in which I can lay up when I have one of my off the scale pain attacks. In the past Ive have had the Ambo's come and fetch me from a 'van park or motel room and cart me off to hospital again on a morphine drip. I'm trying to stretch out my riding days for another year or two by using this 'van, until I have to finally give it away for good. I can't put into words how much that thought makes me shudder as motorcycles have been my only interest since my first bike in 1966. Never interested in boats etc, only bikes.
While all this is happening (the caravan) I'm trying to come up with a better colour scheme for the KLE, than my current blue with a puke gold frame. I change my colour scheme ideas non stop and can't settle on one that is "just right". The blue looks OK in that Dakar bike but the gold frame has got to go. I have all the spray gear, that part is easy but choosing the colour scheme . aaarh!
I hope to have a trip to the bush in the next few weeks, those pics you have put up make me feel great just looking at them, I gotta get out, gotta get out!

Good health ride safe
Southern Cross
Old 12-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #284
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Santa clause came a few days late

The SW-MOTECH crash bars is ordered a few weeks ago arrived today. This gear is absolutely top quality design, construction and finish. They weren't quick to fit but the 3 mounting points are very well engineered. They are as solid as a rock and I am happy with coverage.

I found this great fitting guide
http://www.adventurerider.com.au/ind...rash-bars.html

Old 12-30-2013, 12:52 AM   #285
KLEaner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Amazingly, the design of the KLE seems to mean that the engine protectors only come into play when a raised rock or something is in the path of the bike as it slides down the track... Don't ask how I know .

I have had a couple of low speed offs and the only things that seem to wear the damage are the pegs, bars and indicators - that being said, at no time was there anything of size in the path of the bike as it made its unplanned alternative braking manoeuvre...
KLEaner is offline   Reply With Quote