User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
cody94dr350 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
which thumper to keep?

hey guys, I've been riding a 94 dr350se for several years now. a couple of days ago i went to a gun auction, and randomly there was a dual sport thrown in the mix. I somehow managed to pick up a 2007 xr650L with 3,000 miles for 1200 bucks. its got a clarke tank, xr's only full exhaust, a billet top rack and side pannier racks, a windshield, an aftermarket skid plate, and lots of other small things done to it.

i'm at a crossroads of what to do. my dr350 now has 15,000 miles on it. i've added a pumper carb, fmf muffler, tall seat, aftermarket handlebar, bark busters, steering brace, and resprung it for my weight. and tons of little odds and ends. the 350 does pretty well off road, but it has its down sides for street riding and for adventure touring.

I'm having trouble justifying paying insurance and registration on both bikes (full time student) will the 650L do everything pretty well? or is it worth it to hold onto both bikes to ride them in different ways. what do you guys think?
cody94dr350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 2,053
Not sure were your located, but in AZ. the OHV registration is only 25 bones a year and the insurance on my 3 bikes is about $150.00 a year, keep'em both!

But if you can't, the XR would be my choice in a heatbeat! It will do everything and anything you want it to do plus some. The after market is huge and you can fix it out of Circle K if needed.

JMHO, thanks, Eric.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
smoothride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Always nice to have a backup. I just built a dr790 and I have a xr650r for a back up bike sitting in the garage ready to go.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,645
ride both and compare.
both are fine-assed machines.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
Dao1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Back when I was a full time student, I had very little time for such luxuries like riding offroad.
I'd ditch the 350 and keep the 650L.
Dao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,645
what size gas tank?
if its at least 3 1/2 gallon, the 650 will be a good choice.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #7
cody94dr350 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-E View Post
Not sure were your located, but in AZ. the OHV registration is only 25 bones a year and the insurance on my 3 bikes is about $150.00 a year, keep'em both!

But if you can't, the XR would be my choice in a heatbeat! It will do everything and anything you want it to do plus some. The after market is huge and you can fix it out of Circle K if needed.

JMHO, thanks, Eric.
I'm in new mexico, problem we have here is if I register the bike as an ohv vehicle, I can never register it for a street plate again. damn hippies in santa fe don't let us have the same liberties you've got there in az.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #8
cody94dr350 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
what size gas tank?
if its at least 3 1/2 gallon, the 650 will be a good choice.
It might be a 4.7 gallon tank, not entirely sure though. its bigger than stock and made by clarke. that i know for sure.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #9
timeOday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody94dr350 View Post
I'm in new mexico, problem we have here is if I register the bike as an ohv vehicle, I can never register it for a street plate again. damn hippies in santa fe don't let us have the same liberties you've got there in az.
OK but the registration is a whopping $18.50/year.

https://webapps.mvd.newmexico.gov/On...onfees2012.pdf

And liability-only on my single-cylinder bikes is like $40/year with State Farm in ABQ. Granted it would be more with theft coverage, I've had 2 stolen here over the years and that does sting. But I figure if they make a profit on the coverage, it's probably a better deal in the long run if I can absorb the hit.
timeOday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:40 PM   #10
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,554
If you got the skill the XR can dance but it takes work. My profile picture is me going over 3' culvert. I've taken it in gnarly single track and over some mediumish jumps. It can do a lot.

https://vimeo.com/117863463

https://vimeo.com/117863590

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #11
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 832
That DR is just getting broken in...keep 'em both, if you can. Always good to have a buddy bike.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:35 PM   #12
cody94dr350 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeOday View Post
OK but the registration is a whopping $18.50/year.

https://webapps.mvd.newmexico.gov/On...onfees2012.pdf

And liability-only on my single-cylinder bikes is like $40/year with State Farm in ABQ. Granted it would be more with theft coverage, I've had 2 stolen here over the years and that does sting. But I figure if they make a profit on the coverage, it's probably a better deal in the long run if I can absorb the hit.
full coverage through anpac right now is costing me 30 dollars a month. I'm only 23 so i figure that plays a part in it.
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM   #13
timeOday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody94dr350 View Post
full coverage through anpac right now is costing me 30 dollars a month. I'm only 23 so i figure that plays a part in it.
You might want to get a quote on liability-only for the two bikes and see how it compares. The package should be less than the sum of the two, since having two bikes doesn't double your risk of being in an accident. The rationale for going liability-only is that your alternate bike is like a pre-paid policy that will instantly provide you with transportation if the other gets wrecked or stolen. By next fall you'll know if it's worth keeping both, in the meanwhile you have an interesting dating possibility
timeOday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #14
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
ride both and compare.
That's what I'd do. Ride them back to back a few times, you'll know which one you want to keep.

But as mentioned, if you can swing it having both is nice, even if it's for a few months to figure out which works out best for you.

I think the 650L depends a lot on your inseam. I can't friggen ride that bike stock, waaay too tall, almost worse than KTMs.

DR350SE isn't a bad dual sport bike (being a DRZ owner I'm jealous of your 6 spd gearbox and you've done some nice mods) if you're not pounding lots of pavement.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:24 AM   #15
cody94dr350 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
That's what I'd do. Ride them back to back a few times, you'll know which one you want to keep.

But as mentioned, if you can swing it having both is nice, even if it's for a few months to figure out which works out best for you.

I think the 650L depends a lot on your inseam. I can't friggen ride that bike stock, waaay too tall, almost worse than KTMs.

DR350SE isn't a bad dual sport bike (being a DRZ owner I'm jealous of your 6 spd gearbox and you've done some nice mods) if you're not pounding lots of pavement.
I'm 6'3" so the height on the 650 isnt a problem really. I actually but a tall seat and moved the suspension up high on the 350.

I've actually had a friend make an offer to trade me his kick start dr350(lower miles than my bike, fairly fresh top end, suspension tuned by zr1 with an acerbis tank) and he'd give me 600 dollars on top. that gives me back half of what i paid for the 650L cash back into my pocket. and the possibility of stripping weight off the kicker 350 intrigues me(battery delete etc.) the kicker 350 starts off 15 pounds lighter that the e start roughly. turn the kick start bike into a off road focused bike, that i can still ride from trail head to trail head and to work and school if need be.