Old 03-23-2009, 02:40 AM   #196
Craypot
wherethephuquerwee

Oddometer: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan
These racks seem a fair way back - probably assist with wheelies
now who's the stalker?

Its the angle of the photo, the leading edge of the loop bit is more or less in line with the 690 graphic. you can check them out on mine if you like.

“Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer”
Henry Lawson

Craypot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:51 AM   #197
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craypot
now who's the stalker?

Its the angle of the photo, the leading edge of the loop bit is more or less in line with the 690 graphic. you can check them out on mine if you like.
Maybe its the looong seat that makes it look way back.... furrrg that seats long.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #198
dandini
Dan

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl
Looks great Dan!

I've already got the tourtech pannier racks ... do you think the metal moose top box rack will work with it?

rick
Hi Rick - it's designed to sit on top of the MM frame so I don't know. Can have a look if you like when the other bike with the TT frame gets back from the menders.

p.s. how is your bike now??

Quote:
Looks great Dan!
Also I'm curious how strong those boxes are ... are they close to the right size and strong enough to use as a center stand?

rick
Will check it out, however we are going to use a prop stand in the conveniently supplied paddock stand bobbins to prop the wheels up on the side stand when we need to. (I love this bike - it has the attention to detail you need..)
Old 03-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #199
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandini
Hi Rick - it's designed to sit on top of the MM frame so I don't know. Can have a look if you like when the other bike with the TT frame gets back from the menders.

p.s. how is your bike now??

Will check it out, however we are going to use a prop stand in the conveniently supplied paddock stand bobbins to prop the wheels up on the side stand when we need to. (I love this bike - it has the attention to detail you need..)
Hey Dan - my bike is doing great now! Wow - never thought of that - I'd love to see a pic of what you came up with to prop the wheels up.

I just talked to Paul @ metal mule re: the "V" piece and top box frame working with the tourtech rack. He's pretty sure it will work and so I'm goinig to go ahead and order one. If you have a chance to check it out in the next few days though, let me know if it doesn't work and I'll cancel it.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #200
dandini
Dan

Quote:
I just talked to Paul @ metal mule re: the "V" piece and top box frame working with the tourtech rack. He's pretty sure it will work and so I'm goinig to go ahead and order one. If you have a chance to check it out in the next few days though, let me know if it doesn't work and I'll cancel it.
Hi Rick,
Sorry I got confused - I actually have the KTM luggage frame which is different from the Touratech one. But if Paul reckons it will work you can trust him as he knows all of the other luggage systems inside out!

p.s.
I'm really pleased that your bike is ok now. I read your thread on your travels to Mexico, and I was truly humbled by your great attitude in the of adversity.

Piccie of propstand coming soon..
Old 03-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #201
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

I don't think you're confused ... or I am too :) I too actually have the KTM hard parts pannier racks ... for some reason I thought it was made for them by tourtech and so I thought they were one and the same. I know that just recently tourtech has a new pannier rack they claim is stronger ...

Bottom line, we have the same pannier rack. I'd love to know if it fits on yours!

Rick
Old 03-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #202
dandini
Dan

Quote:
Bottom line, we have the same pannier rack. I'd love to know if it fits on yours!

Rick
Rick the KTM frame and the Touratech frame are different - it's just the Zega panniers that are the same. Paul would have been talking about the TT one. I'm not sure if it will fit the KTM one and my bike is still at the menders so I can't check. Sugest you check out some pictures or hold fire for a couple of weeks- not sure if Paul would know for sure about the KTM frame, but he might remember what mine looked like. (Sorry I don't!)
Dan.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #203
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Can you guys help me brainstorm!!

I'm looking for a top box similar to what I had on my old LC4. It could slide 8" forward and back by just loosening 2 large wingnuts on the bottom of the box. I'd push it all the way back when riding with a passenger. For balance/comfort I normally kept it about 3-4" from the front. The box was strongest at that point as well and I felt comfortable putting the most weight in it in that position.
On longer trips I would slide it all the way forward which allowed me to rest my back against the back pad on long freeway runs.

Here's some pics of my old bike (btw I sold that 1 with 82,000 miles on it!)

Here you can see my rear rack with the givi base plate mounted on top of it. The Givi base plate uses these "W" shaped "things" that grip 2 side rails.

This is the best shot I have of just the givi base plate and my rear rack. What you can barely make out in the picture is that those "W" shaped pieces are gripping the 2 outer rails on both sides. The 2 inner rails aren't being used. You also can see that that particular givi box base has some flexibility in where the 2 paralell rails are placed.

This picture is Dandini's pic of Metal Mule's "V" piece and top box loop.

Right now, the best thing I can think of is to
1. set it up like Dan has in his picture here
2. Weld 2 paralell rails the correct width for the Givi "W" shaped piece.
3. Cut out the center of the givi base plate as seen in this picture:

I don't know however if the plate will be strong enough if I cut it out like that?

Also I wish I could mount the metal mule loop about an 1 1/2" farther back as I think with a passenger their tail bone would hit the loop no matter how far back the box is.

Finally, I would like to keep the weight down and if someone can see a way to do the same thing with less metal that would be great .... some of the parts seem "redundant".

By the way Paul @ Metal mule is selling the "V" shaped piece for 50 pounds and the loop for 116.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #204
ZacharyD
n00b

Oddometer: 0

FWIW, I'd put my cash down if someone comes up with something like that!
ZacharyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:17 AM   #205
dandini
Dan

Quote:
I don't know however if the plate will be strong enough if I cut it out like that?
Mt tame engineer Dave is out in the garage working on our (non-adjustable) solution as we speak, we are also cutting a givi rack down as you are..ours is the plastic M5 mono rack one which Dave said would be strong enough. Will post back piccies later..when I let him out of the garage.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:33 AM   #206
Craypot
wherethephuquerwee

Oddometer: 786
Not luggage but prop stands

Here's a couple of photos of the Anderson Prop stand.

lifting the rear wheel

Lifting the front wheel

Its a bit short so I intend to use a piece of wood under it to give it a bit more height. Weight 300 grams. cost A$50 including local postage.

Website is http://www.andersonstands.com/

“Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer”
Henry Lawson

Craypot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #207
dandini
Dan

Metal Mule Rack..hacking for Givi Pannier

I've let Dave out of the garage now..here are the results of the top box rack engineering.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/dpeward/TopBoxRack#
Old 03-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #208
dandini
Dan

Sidestand Prop

and here's the pics of the sidestand prop..
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/dpeward/SidestandProp#
Old 03-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #209
Captregis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
KTM 690 gas tank inserts

So I spent the weekend updating my new 690 with the new TT gear. Crashbar for engine, radiator guard, sprocket cover, disc guard....etc. Most fit well but require some tweaking? I installed the Pannier rack and it also required some slight modifications. After remving factory hand rails one of the inserts in the tank seemed not quite right? It was'nt, shortly after installing and testing the threaded insert on the right front side of tank mount broke loose and now freely spins in the top of tank. Only noticeable by the fact that it leaks gas everywhere now and is a piece of useless plastic. These mounting locations are suppoe to be a structural mounting point? I did not have the boxes on or tip it over. I'm beginning to wonder if these are even an option for long distance tours. I don't think they will hold up to any sort of abuse or actual dul sport riding. The thraeded tank inserts seem like a terrible design and are guaranteed to fail! Does anyone have any other issues or experienced this? The bike truly needs an aluminum sub frame of sorts to mount these type of racks to, and not just a molded plastic insert? Anybody got any ideas??
Captregis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #210
icngacsn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captregis
... It was'nt, shortly after installing and testing the threaded insert on the right front side of tank mount broke loose and now freely spins in the top of tank. Only noticeable by the fact that it leaks gas everywhere now and is a piece of useless plastic...

Your post has pretty much guaranteed I will go the soft bag route. I realize the weight will still be carried by the same structure but I'm hoping a combination of sliding the bags forward and not modifying the tank mounts will help.

Does anyone know if the KTM racks mount using the same mechanism as the TT racks - that may help Captregis.

Sorry.
icngacsn is offline   Reply With Quote