Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #226
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
In response to one of these earlier threads about needing a aluminum subframe ....

I really think the tank is strong. With the KTM pannier rack and my "milk crate" top case I've commony had 50+ lbs on the back.

My cheap milk crate may be even better than the metal mule top box rack though in the sense that 1/2 the weight is resting on the back of the seat.
I've put thousands of miles on with no issues on some nasty roads.
Be sure to heed dirtjack's warning though when installing - you don't want a hole in the tank.

I don't know what the whinning's about ... this guy's got more on the back of his bike than the weight of he and his bike put together!

And these construction guys don't need a F-350 or F-Unlimited to get to work in the morning!

Wachs ... can I put a 5 Kwatt generator in one of your great basin bags?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:48 PM   #227
danshell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Does anyone know if Touratech have more of the SS 690 pannier racks in stock yet? I have been emailing TT but they dont answer!
danshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:57 PM   #228
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl
What is the difference between the great basin and the giant loop?

Nice photo by the way on access to the bag. To be honest, I wasn't interested untill I saw that shot ... for some reason I thought it was harder to access the contents inside.

2 more questions for you ...

How long does it take to unsnap the whole thing - say you're traveling and going into a hotel?

What about theft prevention of the whole bag?
The Giant Loop bag is for hard core off road travel - think thumpers like: KTM 450 - 530 EXC, XR650R, DRZ, HUSKY 610, etc.. It is harder to ingress/egress as it's made for packing up at camp and hauling ass, not so much for messing around with gear. The lightweight minimilist approach = better riding experience.

The Great Basin kit is for larger bikes like KTM 950, 990, BMW F800GS, 1150GS, X650, KLR, V-Strom, Ducati Multistrada and ANY BIKE WITH THE CAPACITY TO CARRY A PASSENGER - buddy peg brackets, passenger grab bars or stock rear rack. It is as tough as I could possibly build it with a full layer of 22 oz vinyl coated polyester (think trucker tarp not dry bag) and 1050 ballistic cordura on the lower pannier for overkill protection.

No tools or racks to bolt on. Takes less than a minute to remove even if you have another bag or tent secured, the compression straps are holding that as part of the same package. Throw it over your shoulder and both hands are still free.

Theft? Anything can be stolen, but yeah, a cable through the water proof bomb shell might slow'em down.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #229
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,246
Wachs - went and checked out the Great basin - coupla questions for ya.....

Does the outer water-proof, bomb-shell have to on for it to attach properly to the bike?

Is a Giant Loop not suitable for a 690E or a 950SE?

The GB looks a little less "minimalist" than the GL - is that true? The whole idea of your products seems to be minimalist and NO RACKS - which is what definitely attracted me in the first place. The GB looks a little "top-heavy" in some of those photos.

I am not in anyway "dissing" your product, just looking for a little more explanation from the inventor himself.
pete40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #230
wachs
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete40
Wachs - went and checked out the Great basin - coupla questions for ya.....

Does the outer water-proof, bomb-shell have to on for it to attach properly to the bike?

Is a Giant Loop not suitable for a 690E or a 950SE?

The GB looks a little less "minimalist" than the GL - is that true? The whole idea of your products seems to be minimalist and NO RACKS - which is what definitely attracted me in the first place. The GB looks a little "top-heavy" in some of those photos.

I am not in anyway "dissing" your product, just looking for a little more explanation from the inventor himself.

Thanks for the questions - The Great Basin 'bomb shell' is an integrated component and cannot be removed. This is not 'dry bag' material, it's 22 oz. vinyl coated polyester. That's like making a scrim or fabric out of polyester (think super strong fibers) and coating both sides with thick poly vinyl chloride. Designed for trucker tarps, it's meant to be outside in the weather at 60 mph all day long for its' entire life.

The Great Basin is perfect for both the 690 and 950 SE as long as you still have the buddy peg brackets and either passenger grab bars or the stock rear rack.

My sleeping bag is the largest and lightest piece of equipment I take so I put it on top in the zippered case designed specifically for that. All the heavy stuff (tools, cook kit, tubes, etc.) should go in the lower pannier pods that easily removed for access.

Are you really in jail?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #231
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,246
Sounds bloody good.

"Am I in jail?" - well, where I am now - it's definitely a confined space, and I can't leave easily.
pete40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #232
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 407
Wachs,

One more question if you don't mind. Does it have enough clearance on the 690 to avoid the muffler?

Jeff
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #233
randomprocess
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by *g*
Just a note as posted on the threadfest that the KTM-logo'd touratech hard luggage is intended to be used with the smaller (35l I think) box on the left by the exhaust, which sticks out more and the larger (42l I think) box on the the right; so that each side is equal.

Dealers I talked to didn't know this, so I've got two of the bigger ones - will stick some pics up when the rest of my 'project' has finished.
My old man who also has a 690 had the same issue. When I fitted the rack to my bike I noticed that it had details about the 35l and 42l boxes. Turns out no-one at KTM Australia has read the instructions on the rack.

He contacted KTM Australia and they replaced one of his 42l boxes for a 35l at no cost.

Might not seem like an issue but the 42l was getting awful close to the ground on left hand corners.
randomprocess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #234
.chris
690 Advenduro

Oddometer: 91
I got this rear pack for my 690, seems to fit ok, need to hold the left side up a bit to keep it off the exhaust, but other than that it fits great, and has plenty of room (52l, photos with about 45l of gear)

It is a "BAGS CONNECTION Cargo Tail Bag 52L"

With this setup its 2 quick release tabs to take the pack off, or just 1 to get at fuel. Pretty happy with the result.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

.chris screwed with this post 07-23-2009 at 07:44 PM
.chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #235
wachs
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck
Wachs,

One more question if you don't mind. Does it have enough clearance on the 690 to avoid the muffler?

Jeff
Hey Jeff - I'll have photos to answer your question next week. We are headed over to Portland for several 'fittings' and then up to Seattle area for the weekend to photograph some more machines. Looking forward to getting my first production units tomorrow and shipping to all the pre-orders on friday!

Old 04-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #236
Sobiloff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRideRoader
Have you ridden with the bags attached and loaded? Do they look like they would carry a load and not tear away at the attachment points?
I've loaded them with 35 lbs of stuff on the KLR and there was no worry about the attachment points. I haven't loaded them as heavily on the KTM (I'm learning to go lighter).
Old 04-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #237
snohobo
Supermoto hippy

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl

This picture is Dandini's pic of Metal Mule's "V" piece and top box loop.

Anyone know if it's possible to just buy the V piece?

I'm running and SMC and am approaching this from a minimalist standpoint. Just need a place to secure a small bag for day trips.

Supermoto Around Death Valley - In Progress

Supermoto Around South America - Terminado
snohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #238
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
Hey Jeff - I'll have photos to answer your question next week. We are headed over to Portland for several 'fittings' and then up to Seattle area for the weekend to photograph some more machines. Looking forward to getting my first production units tomorrow and shipping to all the pre-orders on friday!
I'm fitting the GL tonight. I have a couple of issues from a quick check last night.

Firstly it seems like the bolt heads on the inside of the plastics may be in direct contact with and rub against the tank.

Secondly I assume the grab handles are removed?

Thirdly, it appears that the muffler spacer may be in hard contact with the Akro, potential for damage.

Forthly, it looks like it will fit quite well, the filler will be accessible and it may not need the muffler spacer at all.

rossco

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #239
wachs
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
I'm fitting the GL tonight. I have a couple of issues from a quick check last night.

Firstly it seems like the bolt heads on the inside of the plastics may be in direct contact with and rub against the tank.

Secondly I assume the grab handles are removed?

Thirdly, it appears that the muffler spacer may be in hard contact with the Akro, potential for damage.

Forthly, it looks like it will fit quite well, the filler will be accessible and it may not need the muffler spacer at all.

rossco
Hey Rosco -

Yes, please use protection between the bolts and your fuel cell - like a small piece of urethane patch material (HD urethane raft patch).

Yes, removing the passenger grab handles will allow the tailoring to fit your rear fender/seat and reduce the overall weight.

Yes, if there is nothing in the saddlebag and you have not cinched down the compression straps there can be contact. Load that thing up and tighten all straps. The compression straps will pull the bag up and away from the pipe. Keep an eye on this and maintain your straps! (They will stay exactly where you leave them tightened even when wet).

Need more info? Give us a call sir.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #240
dandini
Dan

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by snohobo
Anyone know if it's possible to just buy the V piece?

I'm running and SMC and am approaching this from a minimalist standpoint. Just need a place to secure a small bag for day trips.
Yes. Just call Paul or send him an email. Dan.