Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2011, 10:17 PM   #751
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Nomad View Post
Out of curiosity, for those of you who have done all or a portion of the TAT (I've read the western portion tends to be more difficult?) would you consider doing all or part of it with hard panniers? I have a buddy with a KLR 650 with hard boxes and we have discussed doing portions of the TAT at some point down the road. The video and pictures I've seen of the TAT so far lead me to believe it wouldn't be a problem. Thoughts?
If you strictly stay on the Sam's TAT trail there's nothing on it I would be intimidated to ride with a fully loaded GS. However there are tons of fun side spurs off the more boring (but insanely beautiful) TAT thru Colorado and Utah that are more challenging and I'd certainly prefer to have soft luggage for. Of course you can do it with hard luggage but you don't ride at the same pace.
My number 1 reason I use hard luggage when I do is theft in bad parts of town. I could be deluded on this, but there was no where on the TAT where I felt like I had to worry about that kind of stuff. All the small towns I got gas and food in I stopped taking my GPS off as I'm usually in the habit of doing for instance.

Which reminds me I keep wanting to email Giant Loop and request they make my fantasy luggage... Just like the coyote but with that exo mesh type stuff in it that keeps people from slashing it and having some kind of tough cable embedded in the straps that hold it to the bike. Not something to stop a guy with bolt cutters but enough to keep a guy with a good knife from being able to easily walk away with it...
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:44 PM   #752
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
I have the Coyote and am ordering the mojavi . The coyote sits bach jusst a bit and I can get to the fuel cap. Is the mojavi that much different?
When riding with the coyote, how well does everything stay put when the bag is only partially filled? Example: what if I had only a tool bag in one side and a water bottle in the other and decided to hit the whoops at 70MPH... will the straps on the sides sinch down and hold it well enough or will they be bouncing all over the place? Will the bag stay put if it is empty or is it more secure when loaded?

I've only seen pictures of people with these things full to the brim, but never hear of people that just have a tool bag and a jacket in there for a day ride (which is about all I'd carry on a regular basis) but I still need the space for the occasional weekend trip camping off the bike. I know the Mojavi is a bit too small for what I'd need on a multi day trip, I just need to make sure that the coyote doesn't present a problem on my "less than full" days.
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #753
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by villan.2 View Post
Talking about the weight on the tail, I noticed that the passenger's weight load anyway the rear tank... so.. what is the real limit of supported load?
Bolts molded in plastic (force x lever).
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #754
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
When riding with the coyote, how well does everything stay put when the bag is only partially filled?

This ride was incredibly dusty and I didn't get any decent action shots of the bike 5' off the ground hitting numerous water bars but this should give you an idea of how the compression straps cinch the load down nice and tight. Of course, there are no loose tools floating around, they're secured in sturdy tool wraps then inside a jacket down low with tubes, and a little extra fuel. Rain gear, extra gloves a hat and lunch was packed between the 2 upper compression straps, in the center behind the seat.

Here's an XR650R customer hammering it pretty good. This guy has used the Coyote partially and fully filled for almost 3 years now - zero issues.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere

wachs screwed with this post 04-01-2011 at 11:53 AM
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #755
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 604
Well that's good enough for me! The orange bag looks good on there too, it actually matches unlike most other orange pieces of gear I've had.
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #756
ztrab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Custom narrow panniers

Boxes were built by another inmate, I installed the latches and mounting hardware. Lockable. The exterior dimension is apx 6" wide, 14" long and 15 " deep. I pounded Baja with a set of Al Jesse's 10" Safari panniers on my HP2 for close to 2,000 miles without incident and these cases are better supported, so other than the obvious deformation from a crash at any decent speed, they ought to fair well in Colorado this summer.

05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #757
oktan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Evo-tech numberplate holder

if you have a Evo-tech numberplate holder you might know the problem when you have a Touratech Luggage-rack.
Attached Images

oktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #758
oktan
Adventurer

How it was bevor: different layers, washers and the steel-brackets and aluminium-brackets underneath the cover is inpossible to hold in place when you want to put the cover back on
Attached Images

oktan screwed with this post 10-30-2011 at 01:37 PM
Old 04-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #759
oktan
Adventurer

what it looks now: the bracket holds the numberplate-holder in place and gives me the tread i need for my touratech back-plate.
and i can easy change my Touratech luggage-holder on and off when i need to
Attached Images

oktan screwed with this post 10-30-2011 at 01:41 PM
Old 04-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #760
oktan
Adventurer

finish
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #761
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,876
MORE INFO & PICS Octan

Where do you get these Metal Strap Brackets ??
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #762
Devil#1
Temptation Abounds

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
When riding with the coyote, how well does everything stay put when the bag is only partially filled? Example: what if I had only a tool bag in one side and a water bottle in the other and decided to hit the whoops at 70MPH... will the straps on the sides sinch down and hold it well enough or will they be bouncing all over the place? Will the bag stay put if it is empty or is it more secure when loaded?

I've only seen pictures of people with these things full to the brim, but never hear of people that just have a tool bag and a jacket in there for a day ride (which is about all I'd carry on a regular basis) but I still need the space for the occasional weekend trip camping off the bike. I know the Mojavi is a bit too small for what I'd need on a multi day trip, I just need to make sure that the coyote doesn't present a problem on my "less than full" days.

The Coyote is bulletproof and holds tight to the bike when youre hammering, but Giant Loop has better solutions for day trips--check out the MoJavi saddle bags. Also check out the Rolie bag/harness system from Wolfman.
Devil#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:48 AM   #763
oktan
Adventurer

Hi Brown Dog,
i made the Brackets myself
Old 04-07-2011, 05:31 AM   #764
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Is anyone using a rear luggage rack with the Wolfman side racks? If so what kind?

I been patiently waiting for CJracer to come out with his flip up version rear rack, but I'm starting to lose faith that this will ever happen and need to start looking for alternatives. All I want to carry on the back is a dry sack with the tent and sleeping bag stuff.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #765
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
Is anyone using a rear luggage rack with the Wolfman side racks? If so what kind?

I been patiently waiting for CJracer to come out with his flip up version rear rack, but I'm starting to lose faith that this will ever happen and need to start looking for alternatives. All I want to carry on the back is a dry sack with the tent and sleeping bag stuff.
check out the rollie system from wolfman that may be wht you are looking for if you only need a medium waterfroof bag
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote