Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #781
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,233
I have had good luck purchasing from agrisupply.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #782
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
Hey Possu,

If you didn't know you can get that yellow writing off with carb or brake cleaner.
Thanks, it's a new Tooltube, was wondering how to remove the yellow but was too busy working on the racks.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #783
olec
Rookie

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by olec View Post
From reading thsi thread I will pick up some 'material' later today and spend some time making a top rack. I have some ideas and will post the endresults (if its not too embarassing). It'll be kind of Redneck version, but hopefully it'll work.
Here is the result from yesterday's garage session:

First I made an alu 'base' (3mm cut with jigsaw, like butter)

Then I made an Lexan version a tad bigger / wider, and hinged it to the alu base: (6mm lexan, cut with same jigsaw)

Now I'm gonna make cuts in the lexan for the straps on strategic places and as you see, I will use some 'quick release something' holding the two pieces together so its easy to lift the upper lexan rack with the bags already strapped on there when filling it up on the gas station.

I promised kind of 'redneck' style, and it surely looks like it also.

As I have no clue how the sizes should've been, I'm open for input. For example: is the alu bottom rack too big? What about the lexan? Overkill? I still have some leftover alu and was thinking of making a much smaller fixed mounted also which just mounts to the rear grabhandles bolts and then thru the fender assembly. Yes, I forgot to mention, the alu bottom rack is also bolted all the way thru the fender. Its spaced with this rubberized 'doorstopper' and a long bolt. The rear fender is now very 'compact'. I can take a few more close up pictures....
olec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:41 AM   #784
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:

Then I made an Lexan version a tad bigger / wider, and hinged it to the alu base: (6mm lexan, cut with same jigsaw)

Now I'm gonna make cuts in the lexan for the straps on strategic places and as you see, I will use some 'quick release something' holding the two pieces together so its easy to lift the upper lexan rack with the bags already strapped on there when filling it up on the gas station.

As I have no clue how the sizes should've been, I'm open for input. For example: is the alu bottom rack too big? What about the lexan? Overkill? I still have some leftover alu and was thinking of making a much smaller fixed mounted also which just mounts to the rear grabhandles bolts and then thru the fender assembly. Yes, I forgot to mention, the alu bottom rack is also bolted all the way thru the fender. Its spaced with this rubberized 'doorstopper' and a long bolt. The rear fender is now very 'compact'. I can take a few more close up pictures....
Great job and what a good idea!! It doesn't look 'redneck" to me. I do however live down south though...

For me personally I need a luggage rack to be more wider than longer. I want to be able to strap a dry sack that have a tent, poles and sleeping bag in it. You may also want to consider making the lexan portion "quick disconnect". This way it would be one less part banging around if you decide not to use the luggage rack when riding off road.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:56 AM   #785
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Again, I'm just thinking out loud here. One problem I just thought of was when you flip the rack up for a gas fill up, you're placing the lexan directly against or near the hot exhaust silencer. Would it be tough to make it flip towards the seat instead?

EDIT: I must of missed the first picture. Sorry it doesn't look to be a problem in that picture.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #786
olec
Rookie

Quote:
Again, I'm just thinking out loud here. One problem I just thought of was when you flip the rack up for a gas fill up, you're placing the lexan directly against or near the hot exhaust silencer. Would it be tough to make it flip towards the seat instead?

EDIT: I must of missed the first picture. Sorry it doesn't look to be a problem in that picture.
No problem with that at all.

However, just a few hours later I see already some improvements:

- Instead of using one big hinge, use two medium size in each corner / side instead. All those hinges have some internal 'play', and the lexan can be twisted a tad from side to side, wobbling a bit. Two hinges will make it more stabile sideways. Next version will be having two of them.

I have more in the garage after some hours today. I will show later....
Old 05-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #787
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,925
Berg will come thru with a quality unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D
I just talk to Berg who builds the Wolfman racks and he currently plans to come out with a rear luggage rack for the 690 in a few weeks. ...

Im not to fond up flip up racks because they rattle & are not tight

Out of the available racks so far, I like the 'SW Motech' [even if its black]
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #788
olec
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post

Mine doesn't rattle as I have used this rubber door-stopper just a tad smaller so when I snug the bolt, it bends the rack slightly. Then the lexan has to follow and when I lock it in the front, everything is 'locked down'. Save for the small play in the hinge sideways, but nothing up and down.

Here is the doorstopper:

Nice thing is that the whole rear fender assembly is very tight now.

With some leftovers, I made a smaller rack also. Just for a smal toolbag or similar:

Now I can with the small rack, the bigger alu for more bags and the hinged version for easy access to the cap. I just switched between all setups and it's done in less than two minutes.
I payed approx $6 for the lexan and $10 for the alu. I had the bolts, hinge + the doorstopper from earlier and it has taken me about 1 hour scratching my head + 3 hours work for all the 'setups'. Still some final 'egde' work here and there.

Tomorrow I'm gonna build a really 'wide load' hillbilly version I will store in my cabin in the mountain so I have something to carry grocery and goods when I go down to the civilization and stores. More pictures to come......

I think I am an rack-addict at the moment. This was actually fun to build.

PS: Can someone give me a tip how to do those 'slices' in the alu racks where I thread the straps thru? I don't have any fancy tools, so I drilled several holes and used a rounded file this time, but its really the most timeconsuming part. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #789
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post

I just saw today that they have a "quick disconnect" adaptor plate that goes on top of their SW-Motec rack.

So when it's not in use (which will be most of time for me) you will only have to look at this I believe.....

Old 05-15-2011, 02:14 AM   #790
olec
Rookie

Quote:
I just saw today that they have a "quick disconnect" adaptor plate that goes on top of their SW-Motec rack.

So when it's not in use (which will be most of time for me) you will only have to look at this I believe.....

Seems to be the best option so far and gives me the 'functionality' I am trying to build myself. But it seems that this quick-disconnect top plate will be mounted directly on top of the smaller plate, ie on the very rear end. When I did the initial 1 hour 'scrath my head' ession, I wrote down some keypoints and one of them was to bring the luggage as forward it was possibly. The two pictures are definitley from two different bikes, so I am wondering how it would look like on the 690.

Anyway...those are really nice racks. One day I will probably end up with some real stuff and making small mods from that base.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #791
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Seems to be the best option so far and gives me the 'functionality' I am trying to build myself. But it seems that this quick-disconnect top plate will be mounted directly on top of the smaller plate, ie on the very rear end. When I did the initial 1 hour 'scrath my head' ession, I wrote down some keypoints and one of them was to bring the luggage as forward it was possibly. The two pictures are definitley from two different bikes, so I am wondering how it would look like on the 690.

Anyway...those are really nice racks. One day I will probably end up with some real stuff and making small mods from that base.
I don't know about the looks, but I totally agree with it being a bad idea having the weight all the way to the back of the bike. On a positive note I have the Wolfman side luggage racks installed that seems to get most of its support from the passenger footpeg area. I'm hoping with the side racks installed it will help to keep some of weight off the tank from stuff loaded on rear luggage rack. My problem with load being closer to me is that I always wear a back pack and it interferes with anything that is strapped over the gas cap area and rear seat area. I found this out once the hard way and it will make for very uncomfortable ride .
Old 05-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #792
olec
Rookie

Quote:
I don't know about the looks, but I totally agree with it being a bad idea having the weight all the way to the back of the bike. On a positive note I have the Wolfman side luggage racks installed that seems to get most of its support from the passenger footpeg area. I'm hoping with the side racks installed it will help to keep some of weight off the tank from stuff loaded on rear luggage rack. My problem with load being closer to me is that I always wear a back pack and it interferes with anything that is strapped over the gas cap area and rear seat area. I found this out once the hard way and it will make for very uncomfortable ride .
You're right. I guess when I'm finished experimenting a little, I better move on and get me one of those 'pipe benders' or what you call it. You cannot imagine the cost for any of those full blown side-luggage racks up here. Ad if I import, the freight + Norwegian VAT + Norwegian customs 'fee handling' will cost me an arm. As an exmaple: I payed more in freight + taxes / fee's compared to what I payed for the two Unifilter's.

The other route could be any of those GL bags in combination with one of the racks I made. Maybe that will work too.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #793
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
You're right. I guess when I'm finished experimenting a little, I better move on and get me one of those 'pipe benders' or what you call it. You cannot imagine the cost for any of those full blown side-luggage racks up here. Ad if I import, the freight + Norwegian VAT + Norwegian customs 'fee handling' will cost me an arm. As an exmaple: I payed more in freight + taxes / fee's compared to what I payed for the two Unifilter's.

The other route could be any of those GL bags in combination with one of the racks I made. Maybe that will work too.

The only reason I purchased the Wolfman racks was because I already had their soft luggage. Yes there is an added benefit of them helping to support the tank and protect the rear end in a drop. However if I didn't already own the WM bags I would of went with GL bags in a minute. I heard nothing but positive things about them.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:36 AM   #794
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,663
Camelback and Coyote

I'm thinking of getting a GL Coyote bag. I use a 3 litre camelback 'Mule' and it sits quite low on long rides. Does anyone know if they would interfere with each other?

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #795
NDTransplant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
I still think the rack that CJ Designs is claiming to be working on is the nicest. It carries the weight a lot further forward on the bike, over the gas fill cap, and is hinged to provided access for filling gas.
NDTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote