Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2008, 04:36 AM   #76
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack
I got the hard-parts mounting bracket for the tail-bag and used that to cobble together a rear rack from a Touratech rack extension which I was no longer using.
For a guy called "DirtJack", the garage is pretty clean ...

Paul Jr
Old 08-29-2008, 04:39 AM   #77
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl
OK !!!

License plates are not required in Malaysia !!!. Was that pictures really taken in Malaysia ? I seem to recognize our vegetation ...

Nice set-up. What size of Pelican luggage are these ? Is that The KTM rack that hold it ?

Paul Jr

Gros Buck screwed with this post 08-30-2008 at 03:25 PM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #78
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck
For a guy called "DirtJack", the garage is pretty clean ...

Paul Jr
Hey Paul, thanks. I'm going to use your words and the pics as proof to Mrs. DirtJack that I really did clean the garage. Hope she doesn't notice that the 690 is cleaner than her MKZ.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #79
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,048
The Picture is in Washington state. I'm from the US and am taking 8 mos or so travelling around visiting family before returning to Malaysia.

Liscence plate is there - it's on those cute zip ties - it just tends to flip up sometimes like that. It is a KTM rack with the pelican 1520 size cases. It's big enough to hold a 15.4" lap top with case comfortably. If I had it to do over I would've gotten 3 boxes, 1 narrower and 1 wider. I'd put the narrow 1 on the side with the exhaust and for small trips use the small & medium boxes and for long tirps use the medium, large boxes.

Rick
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #80
dandini
Dan

Oddometer: 9
Metal Mule hard luggage

My partner and I are going RTW on 2 enduros next June so we need panniers which are lockable , waterproof, robust, and easy to get on and off the bike. We have looked at all of the pannier systems out there and I actually went as far as fitting the KTM rack and Zega boxes but was not thrilled with the results. We have decided that for us Metal Mule in the UK make the best quality metal panniers which tick all the boxes and are perfect to match the KTM. The 'skinny' 31L and a 38L would probably be the best sizes for the 690. http://www.metalmule.com/

We went down to see Paul Goulding at Metal Mule today and he is willing to make a frame for the 690 but says he needs a minimum of 6 sales to make it worth his while. Is there anyone else out there who would be seriously interested? Paul does have a distributor in the US (Seattle I think –company called BestRest)

p.s. The 690 is a great bike and we both love it. The AKRO made a huge difference to the performance and the FI snatchiness. The next problem to solve is the fuel - but we'll get there!

dandini screwed with this post 09-20-2008 at 11:46 AM
dandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #81
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,356
Thumb Metal Mule luggage

Just a quick note about Metal Mule - I used some of their kit (on a 650 V-Strom) earlier this year.

It is carefully thought out and fits well - robust and quality pannier rails that fitted to the bike just as the instructions said.

The boxes are also first class - however it is worth getting the side handles fitted as an extra as it makes the boxes easier to get on and off the bikes.

Of course one of the features of the Metal Mules is the ease of getting them on and off the bike - and they make ideal seats for camping ..........

They are expensive but you do get a quality product that will last for your next trip and many more.......
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #82
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandini

My partner and I are going RTW on 2 enduros next June so we need panniers which are lockable , waterproof, robust, and easy to get on and off the bike. We have looked at all of the pannier systems out there and I actually went as far as fitting the KTM rack and Zega boxes but was not thrilled with the results. We have decided that for us Metal Mule in the UK make the best quality metal panniers which tick all the boxes and are perfect to match the KTM. The 'skinny' 31L and a 38L would probably be the best sizes for the 690. http://www.metalmule.com/

We went down to see Paul Goulding at Metal Mule today and he is willing to make a frame for the 690 but says he needs a minimum of 6 sales to make it worth his while. Is there anyone else out there who would be seriously interested? Paul does have a distributor in the US (Seattle I think –company called BestRest)

p.s. The 690 is a great bike and we both love it. The AKRO made a huge difference to the performance and the FI snatchiness. The next problem to solve is the fuel - but we'll get there!
I might be interested....would like to see some design photos or get an idea on how it differs from the one KTM offers.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #83
dandini
Dan

Hi Seth,
I'm taking my bike down for some R&D on 11 October. Will report back when I can with some piccies..
Old 09-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #84
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Hi Dan - +1 with Seth. I'm interested but would like to see some pics as well.

I'd be really interested if he could make a good top box holder. I was going to make my own but haven't had the time. Something that you could attach a givi box holder to. The ones I've seen before seem too far back.

I think I posted pics in this thread of my earlier LC4 where I could slide it back and forth about 10". That would be extra helpful on this bike with the fuel filler right where we want it to be.

I'm not a civil engineer. When I mess around with making my own, I want it to be as strong as possible and the weight spread out. I'm guessing the KTM pannier rack is trying to do that with the arch in the support that goes down to the passenger footpeg?

Sorry to keep rambling Dan, but 1 thing that would make me more interested in your friends pannier rack would be if it came off and on quickly and easily. I often ride a couple hours on the freeway and then (either planned or unplanned) ride off road for a while. I like to be able to throw mirrors/lights/rack etc in a top box and cable lock it to a tree. There's something cool about riding the same bike you were just riding for 2 hours on the road off road that just lost 35 lbs.

Anyways, I'm definitely interested as well

Ricky
Old 09-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #85
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Hey is Stephan from Germany still out there?

I was curious how your rack looked with a top box ....

How many km's do you have on your bike now? Last I heard you were winning that contest :)

Rick
Old 09-22-2008, 02:00 PM   #86
allbangedup
more vacation please

Oddometer: 0
I too am interested in a rack, either Givi receptible for a top box only, or the top box with an option to add paniers. Do want easy fuel access.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:56 PM   #87
dandini
Dan

Thanks all, will report back when I have more news on a Metal Mule luggage system in a few weeks.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #88
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Metal Mule cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandini
Thanks all, will report back when I have more news on a Metal Mule luggage system in a few weeks.
Dan - Looking at the best rest site yesterday I noticed that a rack+2 boxes cost upwards of $2250. Is that true? If so, can you tell us what makes them worth it? I mean - thats more than twice as much as Zega's.

Michael
Old 09-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #89
dandini
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaoro
Dan - Looking at the best rest site yesterday I noticed that a rack+2 boxes cost upwards of $2250. Is that true? If so, can you tell us what makes them worth it? I mean - thats more than twice as much as Zega's.

Michael
I can see your point. It's worth it to me but each person's needs are different. It depends what you want them for and how you use them. I want them to last for many trips - including long distance rugged terrain. I am a believer in buying good quality kit rather than cheapo workarounds- it generally pays for itself in the end and makes life easier. Don't want to spend my trips fixing stuff.

The main issue for me is the way the panniers lock onto the frame
TT The way they lock onto the frame and have to be removed is annoying. It will drive me mental after a while and it’s not what you need if you have to remove or fit the panniers quickly. It seems to me like it’s easy to get it wrong as you have to tighten things and make sure the locking lever is aligned with a cut out. . The mountings are weak and will fatigue. You will have to reinforce them (TT sell the bits to reinforce them!). The frames are reasonably ok, but not as strong as the MM and could be better.
MM lock onto the frame really securely and easily. The frame is really strong.

Finish
TT Zega Panniers are not anodised - you get black stuff all over your kit unless you line them. I tried to line them and it’s hard because of the sticking out bits.
MM are anodised

Putting stuff in
TT The insides have sticking out bits – nuts and bolts which could abrade your kit.
MMs are completely smooth inside.

Lids
TT Lids are separate (some people think this is a good thing – I don’t –they can get forgotten and lost and you have to find somewhere to put them when you want something out of your pannier –you can buy and fit TT ‘hinges’)
MM Lids are attached and open the right way

Security
TT You have to fit your own (tacky) locks x2 by drilling out or use padlocks.
MM – One decent lock (provided)

Carrying
TT You have to buy and add handles and whatever else you need to carry them.
The MMS have carry handles on the top and sides

Robustness
TT get bashed out of shape (but some people think this is a good thing)
MM won’t

Ease of paddling
TT more square
MM are slightly bevelled

Use as Seating/Centre Stand
I guess you can use either panniers for this.

dandini screwed with this post 09-24-2008 at 12:53 PM
dandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #90
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Thanks Dan! That is exactly what I wanted to know. I am still interested. Very.

You should get MM and Best Rest to post your reply on their web sites. Their web sites use the tactic of 'its expensive but its worth it' but are short on details. You come away with a 'is that just marketing or what?' response.

I appreciate your detailed response.

Michael

ps. is there a big weight difference btw the MM and TT panniers?