Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #1051
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
+1 I had three of the mounting bolts break before I stopped using my tail bag for anything other than clothing.
Are you talking about the screws that bolt the bottom of the bag to the bracket?

I imagine I can put bigger bolts in there. Maybe even include an aluminum plate. Not sure what to do about the quick release. It seems undersized too. I use mine to carry my tool kit, spoons, jack stand, compressor and some odds and ends. I pack it tight with a clean-up rag thinking that would help. I'd guess its 6-7 lbs.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #1052
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,233
Nope the bolts that held the bracket to the rack. I have not broken the botls that hold the bracket to the bag yet. I think there is enough flex in that area to take the some of the strain off the blots..
goosecreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #1053
DRZPlease
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Mine are used under similar conditions as you propose. I packed tools poorly in my yellow duffel bag and after 7 days on the CDR, I noticed chafing at the bottom of the bag from my trail stand. It is only aluminum, but it has sharp edges. Then I notice chafing in one of my panniers from the cooking kit. No holes, but chafing. They have patch kits and will do repairs if you want them to fix it, but I learned to pack better and more snugly, protecting the bags from sharp edges. I have not had any chafing since. I've fallen off that Yamaha a few times and they held up. Now I wasn't going very fast, so I cant speak to that. My flops are usually when I go to foot dab and find air. Either that or mud. But they are highly repairable in any event. Surely moreso than aluminum boxes.

Go to an outdoor store like an REI and check out the Sealine kayak and duffel bags. It's made of the same materials so you get a better idea how rugged they are. Maybe watch those videos on their website.

Like I said before, I was unhappy with them the first couple days on the trail because they were so fiddly to pack and mount. But by the third day I had it down. I'm much better today. I can break camp and be on the road just as fast as I could with hard panniers. The main thing for me is compactness and knowing which roll top to open to get what I am looking for.

I like the Giant Loop concept too, but I didn't want to be constantly digging around looking for my stuff. My son used the small one in the Mexican 1000 for some of his spares. It worked well, but changed the air flow around his muffler, which proceeded to melt off his blinker.

'Course, he had that thing pinned a lot of the time and you know how hot things get when you do that.

Let us know what you do, and have fun on your big trip!
Thanks for that, thats exactely what I wanted to know. I will be buying these bags, the rack, and the rotopac for fuel on one side for my trip. Thats usually when I fall as well, the techinical riding we will be doing will be only at Moab itself, in which case I will only have the racks on, no bags.

I just picked up the KTM "tank bag" for the 690 and its excellent! Im building my luggage and supplies slowly and were taking the trip next year.

Thanks everyone for the help, this site is really useful!
DRZPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #1054
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
Nope the bolts that held the bracket to the rack. I have not broken the botls that hold the bracket to the bag yet. I think there is enough flex in that area to take the some of the strain off the blots..
Thanks. Can't quite remember those bolts. I'll look into it some and see if I can have something better.

-P
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #1055
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,732
Just completed a Seat Concepts upgrade along with a Rotopax and side-bag install for day trippin'...the previous Coyote is for overnighters.....

One feature of Jim's Globetrottin' gear is that it is built to work with many systems. The Rotopax plate will mount to my Wolfman rack on this bike or the Happy Trails rack on my 990Adv, as will the RTE side bag that he makes.....you picks your own systems and takes your own chances....
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.

The Walrus screwed with this post 10-27-2012 at 07:41 PM
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #1056
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Magadan Soft Panniers

Has anyone on this thread mounted a pair of the Adventure-Spec Magadan Soft panniers on a 690 yet? I'd like to see a picture if you have. They are meant for use with a luggage rack, and were designed by Walter Colebatch. They seem extremely well thought out.

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...-panniers.html
Old 10-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #1057
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Nomad View Post
Has anyone on this thread mounted a pair of the Adventure-Spec Magadan Soft panniers on a 690 yet? I'd like to see a picture if you have. They are meant for use with a luggage rack, and were designed by Walter Colebatch. They seem extremely well thought out.

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...-panniers.html
I didn't realize they were selling them now. They do look quite nice. Maybe someone in the UK could stop by ADVspec and snap a few photos
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #1058
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,843
looks like a copy of the andy straps

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #1059
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd View Post
Its an evolution of the Andy Straps. The designer of the bag had some Andy Straps, that he used under conditions of long and heavy service. He liked the Andy Straps but decided to address some issues that came up. So the design is based on them.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #1060
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd View Post
And Andy was the first to complain on the site.....everything is a copy of something.....where did your genes come from.......and maybe evolution is occurring....

Personally, I hope I don't need to spend that amount of coin for the experience of carrying my necessary goods. As I discovered in Italy this summer, somebody who really wants to steal from you........will steal from you.......

And somebody who is Bat Shit Crazy.........will remain Bat Shit Crazy.......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #1061
kirbs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Question Wolfman tank bag pics

So, I've been trying to make a decision on a tank bag for my 690. I'm struggling to visualize the size of some of the tank bags out there so I'm looking for pics of some bags mounted on the bike.

Things I'm thinking of fitting in the bag:
Spare gloves, rain jacket, first aid kit, tool kit, phone, wallet, snacks and DSLR if I can

I like the idea of the rainier and the explorer lite but I'm wondering if they are a bit bulky for the 690? If they are too big, do you think I could fit all of the above into the enduro or small expedition?

kirbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #1062
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbs View Post
So, I've been trying to make a decision on a tank bag for my 690. I'm struggling to visualize the size of some of the tank bags out there so I'm looking for pics of some bags mounted on the bike.

Spare gloves, rain jacket, first aid kit, tool kit, phone, wallet, snacks and DSLR if I can

I like the idea of the rainier and the explorer lite but I'm wondering if they are a bit bulky for the 690? If they are too big, do you think I could fit all of the above into the enduro or small expedition?

If you are going to put all that stuff in a tank bag it's going be have to be very big and will get in the way of your nuts when you stand up. No way on the Enduro, will even be tight in an Explorer Lite when fully expanded.

I would recommend combining a Giant Loop Mojavi or Wolfman Day Tripper on the rear for most of the stuff and then putting the DSLR into a smaller tank bag like the GL Diablo.

It won't really weigh any more but the ergonomics and the handling will be much better. The only one not so happy will be your wallet...
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:14 AM   #1063
OutbackDreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbs View Post

I got the small expedition tank bag. It suits me with my setup. Have found I can stand comfortably with the bag (either with safari tank on or off).
To give you an idea of size; in it I have tyre repair kit, spare tube, small container of clutch fluid, sunscreen, spare glasses and a couple of other items
Sorry I haven't got a better pics

Gaz

'09 KTM 690R - Adv
'14 Yamaha FJR1300A
Previously owned: '92 XT350, 89 FJ1200, '99 VFR800
"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

OutbackDreamer screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 03:20 AM
OutbackDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #1064
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Maybe

But if you get this thing dirty, it won't last. The zipper will begin to do free games at one point. Then the quick release won't be quick anymore. You'll have to oil the release latch on a regular basis. And whatever you put in there will be destroyed with vibrations.

I had two of these. I know.

But on paved road, it's ok ...

Paull Jr
+1 on the vibes destroying stuff. Have to make sure you pack things in with soft stuff. Don't put your lunch leftovers in there, DAMHIK

I found silicon spray works wonders for zippers. Use it on all my bags and my jackets. Also works on that quick release.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #1065
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,925
Wicked I Travel Light & No Camping

Giantloop Tank Bag &
SW Motech Rear Rack with Touratech Tail Bag is all I need

Trailered To Colorado :

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote