Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #1186
Todd34
Toubab

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC View Post
Received my wolf man side and tail racks last night. side rack mounting holes are not lining up on the top of the fender, anyone else had this problem and how did you fix the problem? had the same problem on my f800 but could get more leverage on the bars as they were longer and could pull them into place
I had to keep all the bolts loose and push/pull things around a bit but it all came together eventually.
Todd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #1187
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
Well, great responses as usual.

I think at a minimum I need a rear luggage rack. Maybe the Wolfman one because I can get the side racks later....but I don't foresee that for a long time, if ever (I hope).

---------------------
How much weight do you think the rear luggage rack can hold? They're bolted down by those threaded rivnuts....onto a plastic subframe.....
Could they take 20 lbs of weight?

-----------------------
How did you get these tank panniers so far forward? I'd like to do the same.

------------------------
Just FYI, Happy Trails makes a luggage system as well.
I'm not really interested in it, but here you go.
http://www.happy-trail.com/KTM-690-E...0-EnduroR.aspx
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #1188
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
I think at a minimum I need a rear luggage rack.
---------------------
How much weight do you think the rear luggage rack can hold? They're bolted down by those threaded rivnuts....onto a plastic subframe.....
A rack is definitely needed for that little extra room or lashing points, if you don't already have one.
------------
Don't really know and don't want to find out.

I would wager it holds a lot more than you think it would though.

Concern for the rear mounting points is the reason why I use the additional GL strap under the tail rack, then over the dry bag and back to the GL.

This pulls up on the drybag, and the rack, and ties it into the main part of the GL that is attached to the pillion peg brackets (w/ footpegs removed).

It really does cinch everything together (to the point that I can lift up the back of the bike just holding the bags) and stops all movement of the items I am carrying which I think is the important part. Having weight attached to the rack is one thing but weight that can bounce around increacing the forces on the mounting points is another.

Must say though...This is very much a subjective thing. If I packed differently or rode differently I don't think it is as much of an issue.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #1189
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
[QUOTE=thorinoakenshield;21767361]Well, great responses as usual.

I think at a minimum I need a rear luggage rack. Maybe the Wolfman one because I can get the side racks later....but I don't foresee that for a long time, if ever (I hope).

---------------------

-----------------------
I used the same tail bag that KenbNZ used, the Peak from Wolfman. Figured it was small enough that I couldn't get in trouble with weight no matter what I put in it, and the front of it is just behind the fuel cap.
When I use my Expedition Dry duffel on longer trips, I only have to release one quick release to access the fuel cap. It has worked well for me.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #1190
KenbNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
How did you get these tank panniers so far forward? I'd like to do the same.

They are the Aerostich tank panniers. They have two velcro straps so I just have the forward strap tighter. I have the harness for the Giant Loop Fandango tank bag sitting over the top of them.

They are completely out of the way when standing, and create a nice windbreak for the knees when sitting.
KenbNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #1191
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Here's another question....
I did a pretty crap job when I drilled holes in the plastic fender for the stock grab handles. It looks like this photo..except gimpy. So the plastic isn't very flush with the grab handles/spacers.....

How would I cover that up? Given my OCD thinking , I'd like to prevent rain from coming into the threaded rivnuts when the bike is parked outside....

Old 07-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #1192
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Maybe some black silicone sealing/attaching the spacers to the fender???

Mine aren't too cleanly cut and I don't really worry about water problems. May I simply suggest that you give the threads and bolts a good lather of anti - seize. If you get enough in there it will seal the water and grit out well.

Each fastener into my tank gets anti - seize and funny enough, of all the things that have vibrated loose on my bike, not one has come loose on the tank; while everything else gets Locktite, and most others have loosened at one point in time or another.

I also have never stuck a bolt or had an insert corrode and I am regularly riding in rain and putting the bike away wet. And then it still won't dry for days.

From the mobile...
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:13 AM   #1193
TheMuffinMan
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by uller View Post
give the threads and bolts a good lather of anti - seize. If you get enough in there it will seal the water and grit out well. .
+1000
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #1194
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpc View Post
Pantah, what is that seat cover you're using, sheepskin?
I love my seat concepts over the stocker on my 690, but it needs a >< more padding or something..
Yes, but now I have the Seat Concepts kit and it is much better. I don't use the sheepskin anymore. I would use it on mt Seat Concepts except that I'm on my tippy toes already.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:38 AM   #1195
rdkyote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
Here's another question....
I did a pretty crap job when I drilled holes in the plastic fender for the stock grab handles. It looks like this photo..except gimpy. So the plastic isn't very flush with the grab handles/spacers.....

How would I cover that up? Given my OCD thinking , I'd like to prevent rain from coming into the threaded rivnuts when the bike is parked outside....

Would a grommet work? If you could find one close to the right size, use a step drill bit and fit something like this:

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...FUhgMgodBG4Axg

Just an idea... i can relate to the OCD
Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #1196
rdkyote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Zega panniers?

Any consensus on the TT Zega's for the 690E? I've been searching the thread but haven't found a lot.

I'd like to go with hard panniers because of the handy things you can do with them when camping, plus ease of taking on/off. I do end up in some nasty places, though, and see advantages of the soft systems in a tip over.

Decisions decisions.... too bad these things weren't cheaper and a person could buy both.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #1197
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkyote View Post
Any consensus on the TT Zega's for the 690E? I've been searching the thread but haven't found a lot.

I'd like to go with hard panniers because of the handy things you can do with them when camping, plus ease of taking on/off. I do end up in some nasty places, though, and see advantages of the soft systems in a tip over.

Decisions decisions.... too bad these things weren't cheaper and a person could buy both.
IMHO the Zega's will add too much weight to the bike compared to other options. They are also a leg breaker. I would say over 90% of 690 owners use soft luggage. Then again, if you only ride tarmac and gravel roads then you should be ok. I would also think about the weight of the hard cases on the subframe.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #1198
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
News Flash on Wolfman Racks.........

Wolfman side racks and tail rack will not work on the 2013 690R, according to Wolfman. There is a difference between the 2012 and 2013 models. Whats even worse is they haven't even produced them yet. So now we wait or go to a different manufacturer. Just so you know.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #1199
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Wolfman side racks and tail rack will not work on the 2013 690R, according to Wolfman. There is a difference between the 2012 and 2013 models. Whats even worse is they haven't even produced them yet. So now we wait or go to a different manufacturer. Just so you know.
interesting.
what is the diff?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #1200
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
BS!

I have a 2013 w/ Wolfman side & tail racks. Went on w/out an issue.