Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #1261
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Well without the extra fuel I never would have been able to get here.

360 mile round trip with fuel to spare and at 22 LBS per side (33LBS with the 15 liter dry bag) the bike doesn't even know it's back there but I do also ride a 990 so the 690 feels like a bicycle even fueled up.

Here's the center stand and I do have the Adventure spec bash plate. Modification/grinding is needed on the plate but when you're out in gods country and get a flat the center stand sure makes life easy.
http://lostdogproducts.com/?wpsc-pro...o-center-stand

As for the the BDCW foot-pegs they too needed to be modified along with the mounts and I've got some pics I'll dig up and post. Nothing hard just some grinding and patience.
I guess everyone has different reasons for taking different approaches ...

I personally wouldn't want that amount of weight on the back end - not even half of it - the Rally Raid tanks are expensive, but they solve the whole fuel issue pretty much and are balanced on the bike - only 9L, compared with the 15L in this set-up - but that 9 extra L gets me an overall range of about 450km - if I need more for a long transport leg, then I have a bladder that can be strapped on the back ...

The Rotopax would work better (IMO) on a big bike like a 950/990 ...

I wouldn't bother with a centrestand either - just more weight and another thing to get caught up / bent / broken - so easy just to prop the bike on something (rocks / logs / sticks / etc) or carry a little adjustable strut ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #1262
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post

I personally wouldn't want that amount of weight on the back end - not even half of it - the Rally Raid tanks are expensive, but they solve the whole fuel issue pretty much and are balanced on the bike - only 9L, compared with the 15L in this set-up - but that 9 extra L gets me an overall range of about 450km - if I need more for a long transport leg, then I have a bladder that can be strapped on the back ...

I wouldn't bother with a centrestand either - just more weight and another thing to get caught up / bent / broken - so easy just to prop the bike on something (rocks / logs / sticks / etc) or carry a little adjustable strut ...
The more I looked at the center stand, the more I noticed the ground clearance I would give up. So I ordered the Enduro Star trail stand. I was going to get a set of Wolfman side racks and modify them a bit if they don't fit but the TT racks look a bit more sturdy with the twin side posts. I may just get those and have them blasted and powder coated black.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #1263
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post

Isn't having options wonderful?

The really cool thing about the Rotopax setup (For me) is the ability to remove the tanks and bury/hide them, mark the position on the GPS and go exploring.

As for the center stand it's not a problem and if you do toast it you're going to have more serious problems to deal with. (How many 990 riders report problems? Not I)

The Evo2 like the Safari tanks for the 990 are cool but cost too much for what they do (hold Fuel) and since I ride solo cool is meaningless. It's all about the journey and miles ridden rule! (to me)
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #1264
leanin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
The more I looked at the center stand, the more I noticed the ground clearance I would give up. So I ordered the Enduro Star trail stand. I was going to get a set of Wolfman side racks and modify them a bit if they don't fit but the TT racks look a bit more sturdy with the twin side posts. I may just get those and have them blasted and powder coated black.
Get the KTM hard luggage racks. They are exactly the same as the TT stainless racks, but, they are already powder coated black. If you order them from a dealer that gives a discount, they are cheaper than the racks from TT. If you get tired of the black, strip them and they look the same as the TT stainless.
leanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #1265
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanin View Post
Get the KTM hard luggage racks. They are exactly the same as the TT stainless racks, but, they are already powder coated black. If you order them from a dealer that gives a discount, they are cheaper than the racks from TT. If you get tired of the black, strip them and they look the same as the TT stainless.
THIS is what makes this place so awesome! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #1266
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

As for the center stand it's not a problem and if you do toast it you're going to have more serious problems to deal with. (How many 990 riders report problems? Not I)
I had a centrestand on a DR650 at one time - it was constantly getting caught coming down off erosion mounds (etc) - very annoying, and seemed inevitable to me that it would eventually dig in somewhere and catapult me off the bike - I gave it away to someone who wasn't swayed by my argument - they liked it, so ...

Yes, it's all about choices ...

Old 08-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #1267
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
burmbuster,

Can you please post how the trail stand works on a 690? I like the idea but would like a real-world review.

Thanks,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #1268
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHix View Post
burmbuster,

Can you please post how the trail stand works on a 690? I like the idea but would like a real-world review.

Thanks,

MrHix
I will post a review and pics as soon as it arrives. Just ordered it today. Stay tuned!
Old 08-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #1269
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
burmbuster,

Thanks,

MrHix
Here is the vendor thread for it. I approve, if that means anything....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538235
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #1270
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,774
It's a must have in my neck of the woods-super handy.

We don't have rocks big enough here in Louisiana to stack high enough to get the front or rear off the ground for a tire change. What we call rocks-the rest of you might call sand.

Dirty
Old 08-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #1271
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,922
Quote:
Well without the extra fuel I never would have been able to get here.

Uhhhhhhhh OK. Guess there must be some hot chick at the end of that flat ass dirt road.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #1272
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,922
Quote:
burmbuster,

Thanks,

MrHix
Used the stand once when I had a flat on the rear of my 690. Worked just fine. Managed to lose the stand a few years ago off the back of my 450 rack. Now I just lay the bikes on the ground to fix a flat.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #1273
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanin View Post
Ummm. I don't think so. KTM twins accidentally sent me the KTM racks when I ordered the TT's. they don't compare well. Only one strut bar, they felt like lighter steel(subjectively), the black had wear marks from being packed and shipped.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #1274
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
burmbuster,

Thanks,

MrHix
This is from a YellowPig thread ...

I don't know if it's exactly this stand but, if not, then very similar ...

Old 08-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #1275
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
I use that trail stand on both my 690 and Yamaha WR250r. The Yamaha has to have its rear wheel wedged against a curb, tree of something, when changing out the front.

I haven't used it for anything but mounting new tires, though, so no actual trail side experience.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote