ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #1351
Shadowfax38
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 23
I have decided to move about 8 pounds down onto the Rally Raids to lower my center of gravity. My tent and other heavier (but not sharp edged or fragile) objects will now be stored in 15L Outdoor Research Durable Dry Sacks and strapped to the RR's.



I chose the OR's because they are the right size, have a daisy chain for the tie down straps, are waterproof, and affordable. The only problem is that these things are real pigs! As you can see one almost broke my scale!!!! (7.8oz w/ tire straps).



My Coyote sticks out farther so it should absorb energy and protect the OR's in a and this setup frees the NF Base Camp Duffel for light but bulky items and incidentals.

We'll see how it works out....

Shadowfax38 screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 11:13 PM
Shadowfax38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #1352
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 351
Just changing the configuration of the LIL mule.



__________________
2013 KTM 690 (Thanks FLHRCI Buyer! )
2011 990 Adventure Dakar (Thank you Honey!)
2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #1353
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer
 
coarsegoldkid's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Coarsegold, CA
Oddometer: 361
I was a bit bummed when my Wolfman side racks were off alignment for the rearmost bold holes by | | this much. Without the tools to hold the rack bend the bar properly I had to sent them back. Wolfman understood and without hesitation sent me a shipping label and added that they will no longer be making them.
I can't help but wonder if the cooling process of the welds isn't timed long enough and the bar wanders when removed from the jig.
__________________
'05 BMW R1200RT
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R
Ride tales
http://tinyurl.com/lcy2yhu
http://tinyurl.com/lhgznun
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #1354
sdd04
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
I was a bit bummed when my Wolfman side racks were off alignment for the rearmost bold holes by | | this much. Without the tools to hold the rack bend the bar properly I had to sent them back. Wolfman understood and without hesitation sent me a shipping label and added that they will no longer be making them.
I can't help but wonder if the cooling process of the welds isn't timed long enough and the bar wanders when removed from the jig.
What year bike do you have? My 2013 was a bit compressed-even the Seat Concepts seat didn't fit, so I really don't think it had anything to do with the manufacture of the brackets which sadly are no longer available. Seat Concepts even went to a local dealer to confirm my experience. As to why, we've not figured that out, but it's been the case on at least some of the 2013s.


Personally, I think you would have been better off finding a vice, a towel (to protect the finish of the rack), and a heavy plastic hammer. It really didn't take long to adjust the arms to make it fit. Over 6k miles later, it's still doing the job!
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #1355
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek
 
shipwrek12001's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 1,902
Siskiyou

found it....

Siskiyou, from giant loop.... anyone with a review about that bag on that bike?
__________________
Fak it, just go....
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #1356
RoninMoto
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Asia
Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
found it....

Siskiyou, from giant loop.... anyone with a review about that bag on that bike?
I quite like them. I'm using the RR rack. I've tipped my bike over many times and they have held up great.

I cut a hole in the top velcro in order to get at the gas tank easy.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 92,000 km. 35 countries. 4 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
Open-Exporers----->A collection of travel blogs
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #1357
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek
 
shipwrek12001's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I quite like them. I'm using the RR rack. I've tipped my bike over many times and they have held up great.

I cut a hole in the top velcro in order to get at the gas tank easy.

thanks for your input

does the bag need the rack? and does cutting the hole impede on the strength the bag has?
__________________
Fak it, just go....
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #1358
bthebird
Knight in muddy armor
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Flamenco, Belgium
Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmund freud View Post


Hello,
I have problems to get loose one of these bolts
How can I tackle this problem the best?
Thanks Hans
Check here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914569

Same problem but solved it.
bthebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #1359
RoninMoto
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Asia
Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
thanks for your input

does the bag need the rack? and does cutting the hole impede on the strength the bag has?
I think you could probably run it without a rack. but you need foot pegs then. I've never tried without.

As for cutting it, there is such a large area of velcro, it didn't seem to matter. GL recommends getting it sewed if you do cut some of it out.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 92,000 km. 35 countries. 4 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
Open-Exporers----->A collection of travel blogs
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #1360
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek
 
shipwrek12001's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I think you could probably run it without a rack. but you need foot pegs then. I've never tried without.

As for cutting it, there is such a large area of velcro, it didn't seem to matter. GL recommends getting it sewed if you do cut some of it out.
seems like a good idea thanks...... I have a 50l great basin, since I have owned it I have removed it no less than 200 times. getting gas and get stuff in/out of the bag... great bag but not on the 690...
__________________
Fak it, just go....
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:23 AM   #1361
Cammo78
Dogsbody.
 
Cammo78's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Clare, south oz, earth.
Oddometer: 8
Tank bag options???

Righto lads and ladies.
Got a 690 with a safari tank.... What tank bag options do we have out there and how are you going for space in the bag and behind the bag (knees).
I need one asap. Been looking at enduristan, wolfman, ortlieb.................
Hard to know looking at pics on the intranet!
Thanks in advance. Cammo.
Cammo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #1362
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammo78 View Post
Righto lads and ladies.
Got a 690 with a safari tank.... What tank bag options do we have out there and how are you going for space in the bag and behind the bag (knees).
I need one asap. Been looking at enduristan, wolfman, ortlieb.................
Hard to know looking at pics on the intranet!
Thanks in advance. Cammo.
While you're at it, suggestions re' tank bags that work well with Rally Raid tanks (incl. standing riding) would also be good ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #1363
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek
 
shipwrek12001's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 1,902
i have the safari, and have been looking at this

http://giantloopmoto.com/products/buckin-roll-tank-bag/

But I'd prefer the rally tanks and a regular style tank bag
__________________
Fak it, just go....
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:11 AM   #1364
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dagwood_55's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Ozarks
Oddometer: 1,270
Kreiger US10 vs Wolfman Peak TailBag???

Currently I'm using a med Moto Fizz bag for my tail bag and its a little larger than I want. So I'm thinking of letting my wife get me another for Christmas.


And I'm thinking either the Wolfman Peak or the Kreiger US10, but I'm never acutally seen or got my hands on either one of them.

What say you guys?? How do they compare??
__________________
Live long, love much, laugh often, and
Ride, Ride, Ride.....
Dagwood_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:28 AM   #1365
hobbes67
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Rome, Italy
Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
While you're at it, suggestions re' tank bags that work well with Rally Raid tanks (incl. standing riding) would also be good ...
I am using the enduristan sandstorm 2 sport on my evo 2 690 and it sites perfectly on the front part of the seat and leaves the filler caps on the sides free.
Very happy with the bag, it is waterproof and it is the safest place for my camera gear.

http://www.enduristan.com/en/product...dstorm-2s.html

Cheers
Gianluca
hobbes67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014