Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #16
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Back in the late 60s and early 70s, a friend and I did that with Jag XKEs. Took them apart in a rented garage in Bellingham, brought them across as parts and reassembled in Vancouver. Made enough money to put ourselves thru University and then some. They were pretty cheap back then. Wish I had kept one for myself.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #17
tingavert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiablolex View Post
...and that's all you need, a print out from a dealer with the VIN on it stating no safety recalls

I can't believe some people go to such extremes for a simple letter...

But you need a letter of compliance if the bike is not on the RIV list right?
tingavert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:58 AM   #18
tingavert
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeontherange View Post
I imported a used KTM from the US last year. KTMNA wouldn't answer my (and the previous owners) request for a recall letter, but RIV accepted a US dealer printout showing there were no recalls outstanding.
Was your bike on the RIV list?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:16 AM   #19
tingavert
Adventurer

Just sharing my corrispondence with Transport Canada

Dear Sir/Madam,
I couldnít find any answer for my problem ( that I have to admit is quite singular) on your website and I hope you could help me to solve it.
Iíd like to buy a motorcycle in California, driving from coast to coast and importing it in Ontario.
The make is KTM and the model is 990 Adventure, year 2010. Iíve contacted RIV and they confirmed that unfortunately itís not listed in the admissible vehicle list (the list stop at the 2007 model) but they suggested to call TC because the list could not be up to date. Also Iíve contacted the CBSA and they suggested to call TC because it didnít make sense to them, that a motorcycle sold in the USA (and Canada) could not be imported here from the USA. CBSA underlined the fact that if the motorcycle bears a statement of compliance, then it should be possible to import it and most probably itís the manufacturer that forgot to report you to include the motorcycle in the list.
To me it seems odds that KTM, with only one factory in the world (in Austria) would sell two different models for the North American market.
Could you please advise me on the steps to take in order to verify why it cannot be imported?

The explanation or technical data on why a vehicle is not certified for Canada by the manufacturer can only be obtained from the said manufacturer. The safety standards that the specific class of vehicle must meet are the same for all manufacturers. The ability to prove that a vehicle can comply to our standards is the responsibility of the manufacturer. If they wish they can submit a list of US compliant vehicles that they are prepared to certify as also being Canadian Compliant to Transport Canada. Upon review and approval these vehicles can be added to our list of vehicles admissible from the United States, making the importation process easier. The information we receive from the manufacturers on US certified vehicles is strictly done on a volunteer basis and is a tool only, to be used by the importer and administered for us by the Registrar of Imported Vehicles.

OK it's better to be more explicit!

Thank you very much for your prompt answer.

As you mentioned a vehicle that is on the list of vehicles admissible from the United States it's easier to import. This doesn't imply that a vehicle that it's not on the list cannot be imported.

Also, on Transport Canada website (http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/menu.htm) it's staten that:
"TRANSPORT CANADA AND THE REGISTRAR OF IMPORTED VEHICLES (RIV) CANNOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS LIST (SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE)."
And
"VERIFY ADMISSIBILITY OF YOUR VEHICLE BEFORE YOU PURCHASE AT RETAIL LEVEL FROM THE UNITED STATES."
And
"ITS ACCURACY CANNOT BE GUARANTEED, NOR CAN A GUARANTEE THAT ANY VEHICLE DEEMED ADMISSIBLE CAN BE SUCCESSFULLY MODIFIED TO MEET CANADIAN REQUIREMENTS"

Moreover given the fact that on CBSA website ( http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5048-eng.html#s3) in the paragraph "Importing vehicles from countries other than the United States" Sub-paragraph: "Exception", then "For a used or second-hand vehicle less than 15 years old or a bus manufactured on or after January 1, 1971", it's mentioned that it is possible to import a vehicle if it is "for your personal use and you are the person who bought it new" and if "on the condition that the vehicle is designed, manufactured, tested and certified to meet the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards or the U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, bears a statement of compliance label affixed by the original manufacturer, has not been altered, and the certification from the original manufacturer is still on the vehicle"

Therefore, according to what it's staten on the previously mentioned website, it is correct to affirm that it is possible to import a motorcycle that bears a statement of compliance for the US regualtions but it's not on the RIV list because the list it is not complete. Am I correct?

Finally I'd like to know who should I contact in oder to be sure that the vehicle can be imported.

AND FINALLY THE ANSWER!

In the case of the vehicle you wish to import, the manufacturer did not supply Transport Canada with the information concerning the U.S. certification status of this vehicle and it's ability to be modified to comply to the (CMVSS) requirements. Even if this manufacturer has authorized importers selling their Canadian compliant (certified) version of that motorcycle here in Canada, it does not mean that their vehicle complies in the U.S. and/or if the vehicle can be modified to comply to the Canadian requirements in the areas where they may differ and, therefore, the importation admissibility status of the vehicle is unknown, rendering it inadmissible for importation into Canada.
If the motorcycle company that manufactured your vehicle is able to submit the applicable certification documents applicable to your motorcycle including test records for Transport Canada to determine that the motorcycle met all federal standards in the United States at the time of manufacture and, if applicable, can also prove that the vehicle can be modified to conform to the Canadian requirements as needed, the vehicle could be admissible for importation into Canada. This evidence of conformity is a requirement of Section 5(1)(g) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (viewable at: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/M-10.01/page-2.html#anchorbo-ga:s_5). For further information on this process please see our Guidelines for Canadian Importers and Foreign Manufacturers regarding Motorcycles and Limited-speed Motorcycles (see attachment ABOVE).
Note that if admissibility can be determined from this information, the other RIV importation requirements still apply including the requirement for a recall clearance letter (see link) www.riv.ca
PLEASE NOTE: The List of Vehicles Admissible from the U.S. concerns the admissibility of vehicles purchased at the retail level (i.e. used vehicles) in the U.S. that were originally manufactured to conform to the U.S. standards and that can also be modified to comply with Canadian standards in the areas where they differ. To avoid numerous requests for this information of U.S. compliance from potential Canadian importers of these used vehicles, many manufacturers (on a voluntary basis) supply Transport Canada with this information, hence the creation of the admissibility list for the purpose of facilitating the import process (Registrar of Imported Vehicles Program).

Now my next question will be:
what is a "applicable certification document" ?

I believe they refer to the compliance letter I mentioned in the first email. Do you guys agree?
In that case I'd like to inquire if anyone has been successful in getting such a letter from the KTM dealer without paying the 500$. From what I read, most of the dealers would provide a recall clearance letter. If anyone knows a dealer that is canadian friendly in NY OH or PA please PM me!!

(still I'd like not to boycott KTM because the LC8 is great)
Old 03-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #20
kirbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Get your compliance letter from KTM USA, I think Mike is the guy I dealt with. He was very helpful and it didn't cost anything. I was importing an 01 closed course competition bike though, that I wanted to get green plated.
01 KTM 200 MXC
kirbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #21
tingavert
Adventurer

Mike from ktm usa?
do you have his email?
that would make everything easier for me!

thanks

tingavert screwed with this post 03-01-2011 at 06:07 PM
Old 03-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #22
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,104
Isn't there a company that will export your non adminssible bike into Canada...for fee of course?
CanadianX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #23
tingavert
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Isn't there a company that will export your non adminssible bike into Canada...for fee of course?
yes I found a post where they ask between 500 and 1000$
Old 03-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #24
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingavert View Post
But you need a letter of compliance if the bike is not on the RIV list right?
that's correct, the only way we could do it was through the importer www.miac.com that basicaly takes responsibility stating that "this vehicle is compliant" for $500. I still can't understand why you can't bring a non-compliant vehicle and have it certified traditionaly at a shop. That alone should prove that its compliant to our road regs. If not it would probably need a daytime running module or some other doodad to make it so.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #25
bEnt_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Eh? Here's a twist

OK, I though that I've done my homework and looked good to go so I pulled the trigger on an 06 950S

Did the deal about a week ago, did all the paperwork and got the bike into Canada and was waiting on the Form 1 from RIV in order to get the inspection done and bike registered

Got home today and got a letter from RIV stating....

'Please be advised that we have reviewed the information on the vehicle and have determined that it does not meet Transport Canada's admissability requirements for importation and therfore is INADMISSABLE.

The Manufacturer has informed Transport Canada that this vehicle cannot be modified to comply with Canadian Safety Standards, and therefore it cannot be legally licensed or registered in Canada. This vihicle must be exported from Canada, and proof of export must be provided to this office'

What a kick in the nuts..

I have no idea why this is, an 06 950S is cleary included as admissable on the current RIV list but the letter is saying 'The Manufacturer has informed Transport Canada that this vehicle cannot be modified to comply with Canadian Safety Standards...'

Just thought I'd throw this out there before I contact them incase anyone has any insight or advice on how to deal with this...
bEnt_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #26
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquorpig View Post
OK, I though that I've done my homework and looked good to go so I pulled the trigger on an 06 950S

Did the deal about a week ago, did all the paperwork and got the bike into Canada and was waiting on the Form 1 from RIV in order to get the inspection done and bike registered

Got home today and got a letter from RIV stating....

'Please be advised that we have reviewed the information on the vehicle and have determined that it does not meet Transport Canada's admissability requirements for importation and therfore is INADMISSABLE.

The Manufacturer has informed Transport Canada that this vehicle cannot be modified to comply with Canadian Safety Standards, and therefore it cannot be legally licensed or registered in Canada. This vihicle must be exported from Canada, and proof of export must be provided to this office'

What a kick in the nuts..

I have no idea why this is, an 06 950S is cleary included as admissable on the current RIV list but the letter is saying 'The Manufacturer has informed Transport Canada that this vehicle cannot be modified to comply with Canadian Safety Standards...'

Just thought I'd throw this out there before I contact them incase anyone has any insight or advice on how to deal with this...
something must've slipped, contact them back and inform them that the vehicle is indeed admissible as per their list
Old 03-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #27
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiablolex View Post
something must've slipped, contact them back and inform them that the vehicle is indeed admissible as per their list
Not to defend riv but for 2006 they only list the the 950 Supermoto. "2006 Models 950 SUPERMOTO (LC8)". That's all it says. For 05 and 07 the Adventure models are listed specifically.

That being said, I wouldn't export it just yet. I did a little bit of reading in the regs and, IMHO, the regs indicate that any vehicle can be imported as long as you can demonstrate that it meets the Motor Vehicle Safety Regs. Probably his easiest route is to contact the guys at http://www.miacinc.ca/ to help him get the documentation to show that it does comply with the Canadian regs.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #28
bEnt_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Guess I jumped too early, turns out they only 'misplaced' their copy of the recall letter that was sent to them

They now have it and all is good

Can't say that the whole importing procedure is completely painless, it's a bit of work but in the long run I got a sweet bike for a much better price than I would have paid up here
bEnt_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #29
payner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
The import procedure is painless IF (big if) the bike you're importing is very clearly on all required "lists".
I did it with an 06 DR650 and it couldn't have been easier. Did it with a Moto Guzzi >15 yrs old and it couldn't have been easier.

If the exact bike you wish to import is not clearly stated on the admisability list... well, welcome to government bureaucracy i guess!
payner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #30
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by payner View Post
The import procedure is painless IF (big if) the bike you're importing is very clearly on all required "lists".
I did it with an 06 DR650 and it couldn't have been easier. Did it with a Moto Guzzi >15 yrs old and it couldn't have been easier.

If the exact bike you wish to import is not clearly stated on the admisability list... well, welcome to government bureaucracy i guess!
Good advice Payner. I admit though, it would be tempting to look for a post-2007 KTM to get it up here...
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote