ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #31
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer
 
gsstampeder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Displaced Calgarian
Oddometer: 1,004
This bullshit about Canadian corporations wanting everyone in Canada to buy in Canada is just that - bullshit. I just imported a bmw from the states this summer. BMW North America issued me a letter of clearance on recalls free of charge. I mean all they had to do is punch in my vin and presto, all the pertinent info appears. When I tried to register it here I was told that the letter had to come from BMW Canada - even tho BMW is a division of BMW North America (isn't it?) the only problem with that was BMW Canada wanted $500 for this letter. When I called them on it they told me it was to cover the administration process....bullshit! I told them I knew they only had to punch in my VIN so what 'administration service fee' would they need to do to justify a $500 fee. Well the truth came out that it was to deter Canadians from cross boarder shopping. There you have - from the horses mouth.
What they (BMW Canada - KTM Canada) fail to realize is that all that really matters at the end of the day is that CANADIANS are buying THEIR product. Once we get THEIR product into Canada do they not understand that they will begin profiting from after sales service, parts, and continued customer loyalty?
So why does matter where we buy it as long as we buy it.....
__________________
5 weeks in Baja
gsstampeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:07 AM   #32
tingavert
Adventurer
 
tingavert's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Alberta
Oddometer: 38
Ok, i contacted http://www.miacinc.ca/ and their price is 1000 plus 200 of brokerage. Also i was asking what i would pay for taxes if i was receiving the bike as a gift and they had no idea nor they spent a minute to look into that. So what is their service worth?
I still want the ktm but i see that ktm really needs a boycott action. Plus the xc 800 is not that bad and could be imported as all triumph bikes.
Again i can't understand the protectionism (I'm not canadian right) of a foreign company that is losing potential clients.
I do not see a lot of ktm on the road here in ontario, more bmw, so if i were ktm i would try to pump a bit the sales. Right now i'm not selling therfore i (and the dealers) do not make money neither on parts and services. So i would try to make the import process easier. Because i do not care if it's ktm usa rather than the canadian branch that it's selling the bikes, i just want to sell more motorbykes. Who cares if the dealers here will lose clients (that number is close to zero anyway as now) Maybe in austria they have a special love for canada that push them to lose money to protect a market that doesn't exist. I could understand if we were talking of the canadian goverment but a firm in austria... It doesn't make sense to me.
tingavert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #33
payner
Gnarly Adventurer
 
payner's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsstampeder View Post
When I tried to register it here I was told that the letter had to come from BMW Canada - even tho BMW is a division of BMW North America (isn't it?) the only problem with that was BMW Canada wanted $500 for this letter.
I find this very strange. How can BMW Canada say anything about recalls on an American bike? When I imported my Suzuki, I spoke with my dealership and Suzuki Canada and neither could help me as I was importing an American bike... ie they had no records on the American machine. I was then forwarded to Suzuki USA and received the letter by fax the same day and then received the original hard copy in the mail a couple days later.

Ah well, you're buying a BMW... you didn't expect it to be cheap did you
payner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #34
tinbasher
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: alberta foothills gravel everywhere
Oddometer: 54
Pissed Importing

What you are failing to understand is that bureaucracy exists only to continue it's existence. So the more hurdles that KTM and the dealers can put in place them better. So every time somebody tries to work thru the red tape and another letter of noncompliance or whatever. This justifies their job and maybe they can even get their cousin from the old country hired to help, and receive a nice pension, etc. Common sense is not very common in the house of commons.
tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #35
tingavert
Adventurer
 
tingavert's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Alberta
Oddometer: 38
Just bought and imported a new 2007 990 ADV.
Love the LC8, even though I'm worried about hot temperatures in the summer.

I wish I could have bought the 2010 model paying even more, but KTM is not smart enogh...
tingavert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #36
Strychnine
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 12
I'm confused

I'd like to import a KTM but haven't given up yet...

After hours of research the import process seems straight forward if my bike is on the admissible list. I'm looking for an 07 KTM 450 EXC so everything should be smooth.

However... there are an awful lot of 06 and 05 KTM 450 EXCs for dirt cheap and I'm tempted to try import one of those instead. Is this a bad idea? To further complicate things I'm not certain if an 06 could be registered for street use in Alberta. Does anybody know what would be required for highway use registration? I'm hoping its merely the statement of compliance that says "This vehicle meets all US regulations at the time of manufacture.." There are a lot of 05/06 KTM 450 EXCs titled for street use in PA but I'm not sure what happens when I take them across the border.

Any advice would be awesome! I'm working in Pittsburgh right now so US shopping is really convenient.

Thanks,
Brad
Strychnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #37
big adv
I need supervision
 
big adv's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Kelowna, BC. CND
Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
I'd like to import a KTM but haven't given up yet...

After hours of research the import process seems straight forward if my bike is on the admissible list. I'm looking for an 07 KTM 450 EXC so everything should be smooth.

However... there are an awful lot of 06 and 05 KTM 450 EXCs for dirt cheap and I'm tempted to try import one of those instead. Is this a bad idea? To further complicate things I'm not certain if an 06 could be registered for street use in Alberta. Does anybody know what would be required for highway use registration? I'm hoping its merely the statement of compliance that says "This vehicle meets all US regulations at the time of manufacture.." There are a lot of 05/06 KTM 450 EXCs titled for street use in PA but I'm not sure what happens when I take them across the border.

Any advice would be awesome! I'm working in Pittsburgh right now so US shopping is really convenient.

Thanks,
Brad
What happens is, you will have to get an Out Of Province Inspection done. If the bike was not originally manufactured for street use in the US or Canada, it will not pass. And you cannot make it pass, the first point of inspection is the vin plate, it must state legal for road use. If it does not, the inspection stops. Actually, as soon as the registries run the vin and it comes up OHV, you cannot pass go, no street plate. Alberta Ministry of Transportation is cracking down, no more conversions allowed, even talk of withdrawing the 'grandfather clause'. Best to find one (07-) that is street legal
__________________
BA

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!


big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #38
Strychnine
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by big adv View Post
What happens is, you will have to get an Out Of Province Inspection done. If the bike was not originally manufactured for street use in the US or Canada, it will not pass. And you cannot make it pass, the first point of inspection is the vin plate, it must state legal for road use. If it does not, the inspection stops. Actually, as soon as the registries run the vin and it comes up OHV, you cannot pass go, no street plate. Alberta Ministry of Transportation is cracking down, no more conversions allowed, even talk of withdrawing the 'grandfather clause'. Best to find one (07-) that is street legal
Just to confirm my understanding...

If I purchased an 08 or newer 450 EXC (which isn't on the admissible list) RIV will still accept the recall clearance letter and then send me for the RIV (Canadian Tire) inspection. There won't be any problems with the inspection because the VIN plate says "Highway Use" and the subsequent provincial inspection should also be good?

I just want to understand if I should only be looking for an 07 or if anything 08 and newer will also be okay. It appeared the original poster was having troubles getting the recall clearance letter but I don't expect to have problems there because I have a US address.
Strychnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #39
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer
 
farmerger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Chase, BC
Oddometer: 508
The problem is that only the 08 and newer 450 and 530 EXC came road legal from the factory. The second problem is, as you noted, nothing newer than 07 is on the RIV list. So yes you could import an 07 or older but problem number three is that you can't make an 07 or newer road legal in AB , or here in BC, anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
Just to confirm my understanding...

If I purchased an 08 or newer 450 EXC (which isn't on the admissible list) RIV will still accept the recall clearance letter and then send me for the RIV (Canadian Tire) inspection. There won't be any problems with the inspection because the VIN plate says "Highway Use" and the subsequent provincial inspection should also be good?

I just want to understand if I should only be looking for an 07 or if anything 08 and newer will also be okay. It appeared the original poster was having troubles getting the recall clearance letter but I don't expect to have problems there because I have a US address.
__________________
Crashin' like Ewan!

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #40
Strychnine
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger View Post
The problem is that only the 08 and newer 450 and 530 EXC came road legal from the factory. The second problem is, as you noted, nothing newer than 07 is on the RIV list. So yes you could import an 07 or older but problem number three is that you can't make an 07 or newer road legal in AB , or here in BC, anymore.
Are you certain the 07 isn't street legal from the factory? I couldn't find anything definitive but at the end of the sixth paragraph in this review they talk about the 07 being 50 state legal.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/179/26...irst-Ride.aspx
Strychnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #41
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer
 
farmerger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Chase, BC
Oddometer: 508
My bad, I think you are right it started in 07.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
Are you certain the 07 isn't street legal from the factory? I couldn't find anything definitive but at the end of the sixth paragraph in this review they talk about the 07 being 50 state legal.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/179/26...irst-Ride.aspx
__________________
Crashin' like Ewan!

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #42
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,006
They did you a favour.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #43
L_Ron802
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 1
Hi there,

Just thought I'd tell you my strange tale of getting a 2008 Superduke 990 imported from the USA. I bought the bike from a fellow in Kentucky for a great price and basically thought I'd fight it out with Transport Canada and RIV and get the required letters etc after the fact...

It turned out that the bike actually has a Canadian safety label (in both English and French) on it with no US markings at all. CBSA allowed it across the border and indicated on my form 1 that it complies. It still isn't admissible according to RIV so I've emailed Transport Canada's compliance guy with a picture of the label as it seems pretty cut and dried that it does.

I'm still looking into it but I'm guessing that the bike was intended for the Canadian market but ended up in the US somehow. The history report and title are all fine, just a weird case that may work out in my favour. Even if I have to go through MIAC its still a bargain but my fingers are crossed that they will just grant it. Currently, it sits in my garage, while I wait.

I'll keep you all posted

Cheers!
L_Ron802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #44
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus
 
Bill 310's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Hopefully Upright
Oddometer: 2,829
KTM Canada is the problem, there is no difference between the US and CDN bikes. It is just a game KTM Canada is playing and no one at KTM HO has the smarts to link their poor sales and dealer service revenues in Canada to the fact that we have the internet and won't pay a jacked up price in Canada.

If anyone has an address and the name of the President of KTM Worldwide please post it up so we can write a nice letter, signed by a bunch of us and send it off to them.






Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Ron802 View Post
Hi there,

Just thought I'd tell you my strange tale of getting a 2008 Superduke 990 imported from the USA. I bought the bike from a fellow in Kentucky for a great price and basically thought I'd fight it out with Transport Canada and RIV and get the required letters etc after the fact...

It turned out that the bike actually has a Canadian safety label (in both English and French) on it with no US markings at all. CBSA allowed it across the border and indicated on my form 1 that it complies. It still isn't admissible according to RIV so I've emailed Transport Canada's compliance guy with a picture of the label as it seems pretty cut and dried that it does.

I'm still looking into it but I'm guessing that the bike was intended for the Canadian market but ended up in the US somehow. The history report and title are all fine, just a weird case that may work out in my favour. Even if I have to go through MIAC its still a bargain but my fingers are crossed that they will just grant it. Currently, it sits in my garage, while I wait.

I'll keep you all posted

Cheers!
__________________
From Adele Tompkins, Executive Director of BCCOM, in a post to me on BC Sportbikes www.bcsportbikes.com/

"Bill, I know you are of the ATGATT ilk but I think at times it clouds your reasoning."
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #45
Vicks
I love sand !!!
 
Vicks's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Oddometer: 2,930
Lets say that in case a person immigrating to Canada (with a job offer) owns an '07 KTM 990Adv (Euro spec, 1st owner) and wishes to import the bike, is it possible to do so ?
__________________
'07 KTM Adv990S - Gone to a good home
'10 KTM 530Exc-Rally
No myriad hues of laser lights, no bottles that are oozing with nectars from heaven
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014