Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 02:53 AM   #46
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
Lets say that in case a person immigrating to Canada (with a job offer) owns an '07 KTM 990Adv (Euro spec, 1st owner) and wishes to import the bike, is it possible to do so ?
Afraid not. You will have to sell it then buy one here or import one from the U.S. of A. You can only import '07 or older from the States.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #47
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,829
The 2007 KM 990 is on the RIV list. As I understand it the Euro Spec bike would be only different from the US bike in that it has the 2 bulb headlight. I imported a 2007 KTM 990 from the states

You could help all of us out if you could get a letter from KTM World stating that there is no difference world wide in the 990 motorcycles (by year) with the exception of the headlight setup or whatever and have a little table in the letter that show European bike, US bikes and Canadian motorcycles and list the differences.

This would be of great assistance to those of us in Canada who want to import newer KTM's 990's than model year 2007

I sent you a PM

Quote:
Lets say that in case a person immigrating to Canada (with a job offer) owns an '07 KTM 990Adv (Euro spec, 1st owner) and wishes to import the bike, is it possible to do so ?

"Bill, I know you are of the ATGATT ilk but I think at times it clouds your reasoning."
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #48
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

I don't know, if he can get a manufacturer's head office letter that states the bikes are identical why wouldn't RIV consider it eligible?

I am sure that they haven't had this particular situation before as outlined above.

It might be worth a try and if nothing else the letter might help the rest of us if we could get ti extended to 2011 or 2012 models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Afraid not. You will have to sell it then buy one here or import one from the U.S. of A. You can only import '07 or older from the States.

"Bill, I know you are of the ATGATT ilk but I think at times it clouds your reasoning."
Old 07-16-2011, 07:30 AM   #49
NORTH RIDER
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Don't bother with the letter

that letter would be useless to anyone in north america. you need to remember it is not up to KTM or any other manufacturer to make a bike legal in the us or canada . it is up to the country's department of transport and in the US also the E.P.A. why do you think that bikes differ from europe to the north american market??

ktm can say what they want but it's not going to get the magic sticker unless that bike was tested by the country's department of trasport.
as far as not beeing able to import a newer bike from the US it's only because the CANADIAN dealers complained and said they were losing sales. that is why KTM will not help you ( they have made exceptions, i believe ). but think , if we can go and get a new ktm in the US for a lot less than in canada how are the KTM dealers going to survive ? why would they remain a dealer to a manufacturer that does not support them ??

north rider
1987 HONDA XL600V TRANSALP ( PROJECT)

NORTH RIDER screwed with this post 07-16-2011 at 07:36 AM
NORTH RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #50
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

I understand that, but if the 2007 was identical world wide, why not at least make an attempt and see what RIV says.

If it was my motorcycle I would certainly make an effort before taking the statements from any internet forum as being gospel, and this was not meant to be an offensive statement directed at you or the other posters.

There is also some value to the Canadian contingent in seeing this letter no matter what the OP's importation result.

As far as the Canadian dealers surviving I have to compete internationally in a world market without a restricted market and survive and American firms are in Canada competing against me so why should I be expected /forced to subsidize an inefficient business. Have you ever tried to phone KTM Canada, and the sales of KTM's didn't exactly skyrocket after they shut down importation of post 2007 MC's.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #51
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH RIDER View Post
that letter would be useless to anyone in north america. you need to remember it is not up to KTM or any other manufacturer to make a bike legal in the us or canada . it is up to the country's department of transport and in the US also the E.P.A. why do you think that bikes differ from europe to the north american market??

ktm can say what they want but it's not going to get the magic sticker unless that bike was tested by the country's department of trasport.
as far as not beeing able to import a newer bike from the US it's only because the CANADIAN dealers complained and said they were losing sales. that is why KTM will not help you ( they have made exceptions, i believe ). but think , if we can go and get a new ktm in the US for a lot less than in canada how are the KTM dealers going to survive ? why would they remain a dealer to a manufacturer that does not support them ??

north rider

I understand what you're saying about the survival of Cdn dealers, and I feel sorry for them, as they have to follow the rules set down by the KTM dealer network in Canada and North America. But, don't you have just a bit of,,,,scorn for the attitude of KTM Canada that they would deem that we must pay a premium for the same bikes just because of our home's location?
I put this question to any and all other manufacturers who are playing this game of RIV list manipulation to continue this irregular MSRP among Canada and USA.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #52
NORTH RIDER
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
no harm in trying

i'm just talking from personal experience. i imported a bike from england a few years ago and had to deal with canada customs ,and did a lot of research. it was an older bike but i learned a lot. also one of my AFRICA TWINS came from england ,again older but you have to do some research. my BMW, other AFRICA TWIN . and KTM 950S were all imported from the US.

the CB1100R that i no longer have ( imported from england ) was sold to the US so i got to learn a lot about exporting a bike to the US as well.

YOU CAN ALWAYS TRY AND SOMETIMES YOU WILL BE ABLE TO DO IT . i just don't think KTM wll give you that magical letter.if they did they would kill there KTM dealer network in canada. they will however maybe willing to help you on a "ONE SPECIA"L case. and if they do i'm sure they do not want too many people to know it.

north rider
1987 HONDA XL600V TRANSALP ( PROJECT)
NORTH RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #53
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH RIDER View Post
i'm just talking from personal experience. i imported a bike from england a few years ago and had to deal with canada customs ,and did a lot of research. it was an older bike but i learned a lot. also one of my AFRICA TWINS came from england ,again older but you have to do some research. my BMW, other AFRICA TWIN . and KTM 950S were all imported from the US.

the CB1100R that i no longer have ( imported from england ) was sold to the US so i got to learn a lot about exporting a bike to the US as well.

YOU CAN ALWAYS TRY AND SOMETIMES YOU WILL BE ABLE TO DO IT . i just don't think KTM wll give you that magical letter.if they did they would kill there KTM dealer network in canada. they will however maybe willing to help you on a "ONE SPECIA"L case. and if they do i'm sure they do not want too many people to know it.

north rider

Research is indeed in order for vehicles that are 'new - 14 yrs old' from the USA. There is no research required for vehicles 15 yrs old and older,,,,it's quite simple, anything can come into Canada from anywhere. Now, there is currently a bit of pushback on this primarily caused by these guys bringing in the right hand steer Nissan Skylines and micro trucklets from Asia.

Steve
Old 07-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #54
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,928
OK, lets assume i go to KTM, ask for the letter and try my best to get it imported to Canada and still, it doesn't happen.

Now, this bike holds very special value for me and selling it locally would also mean that i would lose a lot of money due to depreciation, not to speak of the much higher price i would have to pay for a new bike in Canada, would it be possible for me to CKD my bike, ship it to Canada as "parts", pick up an LC8 Adv frame from the US/Canada (for a very low value) and swap over all the parts from my bike, then register it in Canada ? What would that involve ?
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #55
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
My recent experience with KTM North America has me doubting that he will get any response at all, because that's what I got, nothing, when I imported my 06 950SM in April. Never got a call back, never got a written reply back to my requests for a recall letter. There is an outfit here that I know has helped individuals import newer than 07 KTM's into Canada, you might want to give them a call. My understanding is that you need to prove to RIV that everything on the bike meets or exceeds Canadian specs and that these MIAC guys have done all this paper work and research already. I was told costs are around $500, but that's still a lot cheaper than taking the bike apart, shipping the pieces, buying a NA frame and reassembling the beast.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #56
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
OK, lets assume i go to KTM, ask for the letter and try my best to get it imported to Canada and still, it doesn't happen.

Now, this bike holds very special value for me and selling it locally would also mean that i would lose a lot of money due to depreciation, not to speak of the much higher price i would have to pay for a new bike in Canada, would it be possible for me to CKD my bike, ship it to Canada as "parts", pick up an LC8 Adv frame from the US/Canada (for a very low value) and swap over all the parts from my bike, then register it in Canada ? What would that involve ?
I know of a guy that bought a newer [pre -2010, pre Motovan importer] MV Agusta 1000, took it apart in a storage place in Blaine WA, brought it across in small components as parts, put it back together, had it inspected and re-registered as a 2011 u-build. Transport Canada knows people are doing this, are not impressed, but it's not happening alot, so they put up with it.
How you would do this with a bike that is currently in Saudi Arabia, or England,,,,,????

steve
Old 07-26-2011, 04:07 AM   #57
2StrokeBloke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
It can be done. It has been done.

I'm too sleepy and lazy right now to read pages 2 and 3, but I just spoke with a guy in Calgary who purchased a 2010 KTM Adventure and had it imported into Canada. Had to pay a bit extra to an official importer ($1200 I think) and had to give into the $500 recall clearance letter scam (included in the $1200) but in the end, it was worth it since he's got a 2010 at thousands less than his buddy on a locally purchased 2010 Adv.

It can be done. I can get details in about a week if needed.
Regarding the recall clearance letter vs. the printout from the dealer...I've imported 4 bikes in the last 4 years and in each case, for the two BMW's I imported, I was able to get the dealer (sorry, more accurately the service manager) to supply me with a printout of the vin showing that there were no outstanding recalls. We all know BMW and others are putting massive pressure on the American dealers to NOT supply this simple printout..some report punitive measures being threatened against them if they supply. I think the problem is the page must also have the dealerships stamp or info on it...hard to hide where it's coming from if that's the case. There are some guys that don't give a hoot about corporate interests. thank God for them.

The two suzuki's I imported just required a simple phone call to Suzuki America requesting details of outstanding recalls and about a week later, a beautiful letter shows up in the mailbox.

2Stroke
2StrokeBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #58
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeBloke View Post

It can be done. I can get details in about a week if needed.
2Stroke
I am sure there would be a whole crapload of people pretty happy to wait a week for your wisdom... once you shake the cobwebs out, please DO post...! On behalf of myself and many other inmates - THANK YOU!
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #59
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Transport Canada knows people are doing this, are not impressed, but it's not happening alot, so they put up with it.
Only until someone draws it to their attention, then they send someone round to take it to the crushers.

BC also is trying to clamp down on the u-build loophole, and have instructed all inspection stations to not certify any motorcycles that are production machines, such as titling dirtbikes for the street, or "imported in 3 boxes" bikes. That just started last year.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #60
Crashnchris27
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Cry Importing to USA from Canada

I recently got a job tranfer from toronto to texas, I'm having the same fiasco with KTM canada and KTM usa to import my 690. I called my dealer weeks ago and got nothing, just that they called KTM canada and they have forwarded to KTM USA. Now i am days from leaving Canada with nothing and KTM CAN nor US will return my calls. This is so frustrating, i love my bike and would'nt sell it for any amount of money. I guess ill hit the border if they dont accept the epa stickers that are on it then ill have to just take it down with canadian tags for now as i should have 6 months to figure something out.
Crashnchris27 is offline   Reply With Quote