User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2008, 05:32 AM   #1
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,381
High Peak Hyper Lite tent mini review

Well, since none of you FF's you take one for the team ( http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352981 ) I figured I go ahead and try it out.

Before you all go on a rant about how I'm supposed to spend hundreds on a tent, I'll explain a few things first.

I don't get to camp nearly as much as I'd like to so spending a bundle on a tent when I need other farkles that would get used a lot more often didn't make a lot of sense to me. I also don't do much camping in extreme conditions or areas so spending the bucks for a tent made of unobtanium and cobalt 451 seems to be a bit overkill as well.

Here's what I did want, if possible:
Full rainfly
Two doors
Two man sized (I'm ussually alone but like to stash my gear inside)
Smaller packsize than my current tent.

So, surfing eBay I come up with the High Peak Hyper Light tent. What the hell I say, give it a shot.

Here's the tent in the bag. The bag is a kind of square zippered thing but as you can see from the measuring stick its a fairly small package. With a regular tube style bag it would be quite a bit smaller. The length of the poles is about 17" meaning it would fit in my med. Motofizz without expanding it.
Attached Images

listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:34 AM   #2
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

And here's whats in the bag. Seperate bag for the poles and stakes. The stakes emit a weird bluish glow and are pretty much worthless. The same that seem to come with most economy tents. No problem with replacements as I've plenty of those laying around.
Attached Images

listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:36 AM   #3
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

I won't bore you with the step by step of putting it up. Pretty much standard construction: Put the poles in the corners and attach the clips. Then stake her down. This is what it looks like before the fly is attached.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2008, 05:39 AM   #4
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

There's a door on each end so the other end looks the same as the above.

Here's a pic of the clips, followed by another of the corners. Nothing too exciting and pretty typical construction. The webbing and clips feel substantial enough to withstand normal use. The peak attaches to the pole with a loop of nylon which wouldn't be my ideal, but its functional.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2008, 05:40 AM   #5
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

And the corner stake attachments. In the middle of the sides there is a simple loop of webbing for the stakes. You may also note that I didn't drive the stake all the way home. This is a quicky set-up.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's a pic of the inside of the tent, followed by a pic of the gear pocket. There's one of these pockets on each side.

BTW, the floor is made of polyethylene tarp type stuff. I actually like tents like this. I have a cheap Coleman with the same type floor and its had years of use without a ground clothe and has held up really well. Granted, I don't camp on rock or it probably wouldn't have fared so well.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2008, 05:44 AM   #7
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

And the gear pocket with a pack of smokes for scale.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2008, 05:47 AM   #8
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

And here we are with the fly installed. Feels like pretty good material. I didn't take the time to stake it down quite as tight as I could have, nor did I put down the side stays. That's cuz I already see a problem and am going to send it back......more on that when I get the final conclusions.

The tent is symmetrical: same door on each end and same extension of the fly on each end so you only get one pic.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2008, 05:48 AM   #9
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's a shot of the door to the fly. It has a flap that overlaps the zipper and a few tabs of velcro to keep that flap in place.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2008, 05:52 AM   #10
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

This final pic shows the size of the vestibule and also the way the door opens.

The vestibule isn't huge, though there is one on each end. Looks like enough room for some of my bags and to stash a goodie or two under there. Definately a good place to leave the muddy boots outside of the tent.

The doors have the typical no-see-um screen and regular door. My only qualm with them is that they open down to the floor where you can tie them up. I'd rather have ones that go to the side.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2008, 06:01 AM   #11
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

Conclusion

This is really a heckuva tent for the price. No, its not the super coolest or super heavy duty, but it seems to be pretty well constructed, sets up easy, and is tight one the frame. Plenty of ventilation is available. Pack size is good.

And now the bad:
The dimensions listed on the site and included on the label on the bag are incorrect. The floor dimension is for the poly material that makes up the bathtub style floor, not the actual dimensions of the useable floor. That poly material extends up the sidewalls by about 4" on each end. The actual useable length is only about 74". I'm almost 77" tall so this isn't going to work for me.

I didn't check the actual width versus the published width but I think its safe to assume that the same shortcoming is true. Just getting in it and laying down it felt like for one person it has plenty of width for sleeping and gear, however.

If I wasn't a bean pole or if I had younger kids I would definately keep this tent. I'd also feel good reccommending it to anyone who wants a decent tent without spending a bundle........as long as they are under 6' tall. With the dual doors it would also be a good candidate as a gear shed companion to a larger sleeping tent, an arrangement I've been known to use when car camping.

I've contacted the seller to see what they'll do. I feel that returning is justified by the fact that the published floor area is incorrect. They offer a bit higher dollar one who's floor area is about 10" longer so maybe an exchange? I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #12
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
How much does it weigh?
How much?
Where to get?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #13
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,300
Glad you took the bait and got it.......Thanks for the review and pics

Now you know the tent will pack smaller when you keep the poles separate
They look like fiber/plastic ones not aluminum is that right?
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #14
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yep, fiberglass. They have an upgraded model that has aluminum poles, a smaller pack size, and a longer published length. I got in contact with another KLR rider online who has the upgraded model and as soon as he gets back to me concerning the length I'll probably work out an exchange.

The company I bought it from is being responsive to my requests so I would reccommend them. They carry tents, backpacks, and sleeping bags from High Peak.

Blue Mountain is the name of the company and their eBay store is at: http://stores.ebay.com/Blues-SLEEPING-BAG-BACKPACK-TENT
Old 07-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #15
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,300
good to know
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote