Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 05:36 AM   #1591
Maxy88
New Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Wow Thanks for that mate :) thanks for your input! Will check over it! Not sure what hours converts into kms, but will look over it :) I'm going to see family in NZ in jan and want to plan an adventure riding trip sometime in the middle of the year to later in the year next year! Any good places you recommend on where to ride ?
Maxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #1592
AlexD92
DR-Z 250

Oddometer: 78
1. They are hex 10x1/2 screws
2. I have no idea, I haven't gone out for an actual ride yet. I maybe have to take the tire of the wheel and dremel of the tips and put some tape or something to protect the inner tube.
3. This is the first time I play around with screws so I couldn't say which ones work best. What I do know is that the more studs or screws you have on your the tire, the more you will have traction.
4. You could probably use these on gravel and dirt but it will wear out the screws/studs pretty quick and you won't have as good a grip on ice and snow, I intend to use these only for winter on ice and snowy trails.
5. It took me about a hour to do the back tire, the number of screws really depends on the number and size of your knobs. I put 218 hex screws on the rear. I haven't done the front end yet, the 1/2 inch screws were too long for my front knobs so I have to go back and buy some 3/8th.

Cheers,
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
This looks pretty cool.

I have some quick questions I hope you can help with:
1. What size/length and type screws are you using?
2. How much less knobie life do you get out of the tires with these in place, before they start to puncture the inner tube?
3. Which brand knobies have you had the best over all usage results with "screwing around"
4. How usable are these on gravel, dirt, snow, and paved roads to get to the off road areas? Or are these strictly for snow/dirt?
5. How long does it take to stud a rear tire and do you also stud the front tire?
AlexD92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #1593
1zero
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy88 View Post
Wow Thanks for that mate :) thanks for your input! Will check over it! Not sure what hours converts into kms, but will look over it :) I'm going to see family in NZ in jan and want to plan an adventure riding trip sometime in the middle of the year to later in the year next year! Any good places you recommend on where to ride ?
No worries at all mate glad to be of assistance, for myself my average speed is 23Kph when dirt riding so that may give you some idea as to how many hours/km's you may be doing, good to here you're coming across the ditch i'm sure you'll enjoy it here.
As for where to ride it depends which island you're coming to etc etc, heres a few websites to give you some ideas, cheers for now.

http://www.adventureride.co.nz/

http://www.offroad.co.nz/

http://www.puredirttours.co.nz/index
1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #1594
Maxy88
New Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Fantastic! Cheers mate! Yeah pretty pumped, doing a contiki tour to the bay of islands and staying with family in the north island, pretty Excited !! Thanks for the heads up with the sites, will have to check it out! Are you based in the north island ? Have you had your DRZ250 for a while ?

Maxy
Maxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #1595
AlexD92
DR-Z 250

Oddometer: 78
Check this out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Route-Sheet-...item3f19372823
AlexD92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #1596
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,332
freaken sweeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #1597
pr3d470r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Question Drz dramas

Hey, My bike is playing up have had it for a month now had no dramas with it till now. The last ride i went on was a nice wet day so had heaps of mud on it brang it home and pressure washed it and put it away. Next day i had a mate come over and went to show him and let him take it for a ride around the block, went to start it and it was running rough would only run with choke on and everytime you went to take of it would stall.

So first thing i did was pull the carby out and cleaned it, there was a fair bit of shit in it. Put it all back together still no good so left it alone for the day, next day off i started it up and it ran good again. So went for a ride come home and left it at that.

Went to ride to work the next day and it started again. I have also pulled all the connections off and blew them all out with compressed air thinking water might be in there from pressure washing it.

Its Doing my head in any ideas?

Sorry forgot to mention its a 2006 with the flat slider pump carb.
pr3d470r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #1598
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

it might be a bad spark plug
or there could still be something in the carb or fuel
Old 12-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #1599
privateer2010
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Similar problems

I have an '04 that had similar issues only add in some overheating. I noticed some junk in the carb and cleaned it out as well but still had the issue. I actually took the petcock out as well and found that it was clogged completely on the reserve side and down to a pin hole on the 'on' side. It looked like a combo of the mesh screen completely deteriorating and varnish from ethanol gas. That stuff is crap but that is for another post.

So if your still having a poor runner keep looking further back up the fuel delivery system. I also replaced the fuel line from the petcock to carb inlet, and added an inline filter in that section. Went online to Bikebandit.comfor parts I think the petcock was like 15 or 20 bucks.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #1600
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

if the drz petcock isn't the raptor one is
Old 12-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #1601
pr3d470r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thx for the suggestions, i have tried a new spark plug and also did the petcock when i pulled the tank apart and cleaned it as there was a a bit of stuff floating around in the tank.
pr3d470r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #1602
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

did you check the hose?

also check the needle valve too
Old 12-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #1603
Skeeter1981
Finding myself

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53trb View Post
Hello
I have been updating my DR-Z... anyone interested in the OEM rear sprocket, foot pegs, or air filter? I also the stock Mechanical Speed-o-meter drive gear, cable, and Odometer (Not a speedo, only Resetable Odometer).

If you are interested let me know and we can work out a price, and I will send pictures.

Thanks.
Its a long shot but do you still have that odometer cable you want to sell
Skeeter1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:28 AM   #1604
xsamp86
n00b

Oddometer: 8
TM28 Running problem

Hi all, anyone with a little more experience than me got any tips? Ive removed a restrictor weld in my exhaust header, changes for an aftermarket can and have been fiddling to get the fueling right but cant get it just so.

Im up from a #115 main to a #137.5 which seems to give lovely full throttle pull when riding and a clean looking sparkplug, ive moved the needle clip down one position to make the mid richer which again seems to ride nice with a clean plug and the idle circuit fuel screw is out 2.5t from 2.25t (seems to make no difference other than to slightly easier starting.

The issue I have is that while the bike runs great, if you snap to anything over 1/3 throttle from idle (like getting away from a junction) the engine stalls. It will do this at all positions above 1/3rd throttle and is very irritating

So the question is what else can I try? Ive got a few more main jets in 1/2 sizes coming as my next down was a 130 & it ran worse on full throttle, next up is a 142.5 and have yet to try as im waiting for a new throttle cable set. I have tried restricting the inlet hole in the airbox and this makes no difference to these 'snap stalls' & going the other way and adding a 2nd 35mm hole has also made no difference (although thats part of the reason im now going to try bigger on the main again!

Finally I have tried shimming the needle half a clip position richer and leaner in each direction also with no joy and have tried the pilot fuel screw from 1.5t out to 2.75t out and it really makes no difference other than to ease of starting.

Its and old Mikuni TM28 flatslide carb on my '98 DR250XC Djebel by the way :)
xsamp86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #1605
xsamp86
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Ahaa! Pump was not pumping when throttle was wound open! rebuild parts courtesy of an ebay supplier in the states who ships to uk called 'nichesupply'. and part numbers from

http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/tm28-1.html
and
http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/exp-tm4.html

Note to self...clean it before you tune it

That combined with new throttle cables ordered for a DR350 should hopefully get the poor old dgebel out of the mud and running sweet again

xsamp86 screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 02:45 PM
xsamp86 is offline   Reply With Quote