User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #1711
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
update on my new DRZ-250

Ok, so here is the update on my new to me DRZ-250.
When I bought the bike the owner told me it was bone stock. That was not the case. Upon reading how to uncork my DRZ I began tracking down everything I would need, ordered the Dynojet kit and found someone who has the bits to bore out the exhaust.

I realized after about 5 minutes of walking around the thing that it has the aftermarket head on the stock exhaust. Already good to go, yay me. Now I am wondering if the Jetting was already done. As I have never done it, I am waiting on the help of a buddy who has to get the time to help me out.

Ok, on to the fun stuff. I took it out for its first real ride through mud and trees and sand and rocky trail which comprises much of the on post riding area here where I am currently at.
I love the way it handles. After riding my heavy dual sport everywhere, I had no idea how much more fun I could have with a real trail bike. Through the rough areas (whoop style area) I was able to keep the front wheel up most of the time, but had do it in second gear, which is what I expected based on what I read.

Power: I am used to 449CC dual sport, and so this was a bit lower than I am used too. Hopefully the rejetting will fix that. However, I was able to accelerate much faster than I expected and corner and turn at faster speeds than I could on my DR.

Overall I am very pleased with the bike and know I will be improving my riding ability on it for a few years till I am sure I will be ready for a 450. Other than "uncorking it" what are some other possible ways to gain more out of it. Would the FMF Powercore add more than the uncorked exhaust?

Over all very pleased with the bike and glad I listened to the advise of others on this thread. Thank you for everyone who added the input.

PS: pictures to come later, my riding buddy ditched on me, so I was not exactly able to get any video or pics, and I am not trying to buy a go pro at this point :)
redleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #1712
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Dynojet kit

Carburator: BSR-32
Main jet:#116 as per instructions for stock exhaust #120 was for aftermarket exhaust, but I went with the 116 as only the stock end of the exhaust has been replaced.

So today I finally installed the Dynojet kit. I found that it did not have a pilot jet only main jets. It came with many different jets, and I used the one that the instructions said to use for my altitude and got everything working. Adjusting the fuel screw was quite an experience to say the least.

1. did I install the correct main jet?

2. Do I need to buy a seperate pilot jet or will one of those main jets work? If so how do I know which one?

The new needle it came with said to install with the washer at the 3rd lock in slot. I did this, but I did not install the new washer.
3. Can I simply move the lock washer down the 4th position? As of right now it is in the 3rd.

I am also found during a quick jaunt around the area behind my house(which is definately unauthorized) that there was a slight delay from throttle to movement. I would give throttle, hear the engine wind up, then after a slight pause feel the bike apply power.
4. with the above described circumstances could the lack of pilot jet, wrong setting on the needle or fuel screw setting be the culprit?
Thanks much for the assistance.

redleger screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 08:43 AM
Old 02-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #1713
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
Carburator: TM28

I am also found during a quick jaunt around the area behind my house(which is definately unauthorized) that there was a slight delay from throttle to movement. I would give throttle, hear the engine wind up, then after a slight pause feel the bike apply power.
4. with the above described circumstances could the lack of pilot jet, wrong setting on the needle or fuel screw setting be the culprit?
Thanks much for the assistance.
I heard they are a bitch to set up, will be paying attention to this.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #1714
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I heard they are a bitch to set up, will be paying attention to this.
well played sir. I have been literally hitting refresh every 5 min seeing if there was a reply.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #1715
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

"extended fuel screw"

I got everything working, put in a new pilot jet, which did not come with the dynojet kit. bent a skinny flat head to act as my "extended fuel screw". That allowed me to adjust it while it was running, and now I am happy to say everything is working. Alas I feel I will start this all over again though as I have seen minimal power gains, which means I will need to move up to the next biggest main jet. I also adjusted my needle up one notch to allow more fuel flow.

Atleast I got my throttle response up. Little in the way of extra power though.

[IMG] photo 20130213_144957_zps56e2c23e.jpg[/IMG]

redleger screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 05:16 PM Reason: added picture
Old 02-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #1716
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
I got everything working, put in a new pilot jet, which did not come with the dynojet kit. bent a skinny flat head to act as my "extended fuel screw". That allowed me to adjust it while it was running, and now I am happy to say everything is working. Alas I feel I will start this all over again though as I have seen minimal power gains, which means I will need to move up to the next biggest main jet. I also adjusted my needle up one notch to allow more fuel flow.

Atleast I got my throttle response up. Little in the way of extra power though.
So you're actually talking about the BSR-32, not the TM-28? You also need to derestrict the airbox and muffler to realize any power gains.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 02-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #1717
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Bsr-32

yes, BSR, I edited it as I realized I input the wrong carb nomenclature. here is the picture I took.

[IMG] photo 20130213_133724_zpsc211e5a4.jpg[/IMG]

redleger screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 05:19 PM Reason: added pic
Old 02-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #1718
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
So you're actually talking about the BSR-32, not the TM-28? You also need to derestrict the airbox and muffler to realize any power gains.
ahh, ok, well tomorrow is going to be my attempt at filing down the restrictor weld. I had to go buy the file today. It already had the after market end on the exhaust.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #1719
big6kev9
DRZ 250 K5

Oddometer: 1
Laugh Hi guys new to forums ( technology retard) lol

Thanks everyone for the info on this thread...has helped me turn my K5 into a bike that I really enjoy and will probably never part with..
big6kev9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #1720
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

What makes the bike a K7? What 're the different designations?

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #1721
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
What makes the bike a K7? What 're the different designations?

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
Simply designates the year it was made.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 02-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #1722
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

up poop creek, need help, time sensitive.

OK, got myself in a pickle. I am supposed to take my bike to an offroad riding class(Army requirement) tomorrow and it is already paid for. I am in quite a crappy position.

I grinded down the restrictor weld as described in the afore mentioned article.
I got it back on, and tightened down. at first there was a small amount of greyish/whiteish smoke coming out of where the pipe connected to the engine. Picture here: [IMG] photo 20130215_122331_zpseb53066f.jpg[/IMG]

I got that tightened down as much as humanely possible, and It seems to have gone down to a very very small amount of leakage.

Next problem is now I can't seem to get the fuel screw set right. I have a normal idle, but I have gone from all the way closed(factory setting on the BSR-32, to all the way open one quarter turn at a time and it still does not operate correctly.

When I am riding I hold the throttle at a steady position the bike sputters while riding in first or second gear. Never went far enough to get above that
Off the start it is plenty powerful, then it just feels like it is not getting enough fuel but it did this even when I had the fuel screw all the way open. I am having problems figuring out if it is running rich or lean because it acts like this no matter where I have the fuel screw at. Any input or anything you need from me, I will be sitting here and staring at this screen.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #1723
1zero
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
OK, got myself in a pickle. I am supposed to take my bike to an offroad riding class(Army requirement) tomorrow and it is already paid for. I am in quite a crappy position.

I grinded down the restrictor weld as described in the afore mentioned article.
I got it back on, and tightened down. at first there was a small amount of greyish/whiteish smoke coming out of where the pipe connected to the engine. Picture here: [IMG][/IMG]

I got that tightened down as much as humanely possible, and It seems to have gone down to a very very small amount of leakage.

Next problem is now I can't seem to get the fuel screw set right. I have a normal idle, but I have gone from all the way closed(factory setting on the BSR-32, to all the way open one quarter turn at a time and it still does not operate correctly.

When I am riding I hold the throttle at a steady position the bike sputters while riding in first or second gear. Never went far enough to get above that
Off the start it is plenty powerful, then it just feels like it is not getting enough fuel but it did this even when I had the fuel screw all the way open. I am having problems figuring out if it is running rich or lean because it acts like this no matter where I have the fuel screw at. Any input or anything you need from me, I will be sitting here and staring at this screen.
Just a quick reply but firstly start with the basic stuff:
Make sure you have the inlet and outlet rubber boots sealing correctly on the carb(you could have a air leak to produce that complaint)
Fuel screw should be approx 2.75 turns out(std setting for un-modded carb)
Have you cleaned out the carb?, if not it may have a blocked jet or orifice leading to jet etc

Good luck let us know how you fare!

Cheers.
1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #1724
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

well not so well. I luckily have my DR set up for dirt so I took that to the ride and took the DRZ to a mechanic because I literally tried everything. different jets, needle settings, and I just could not get it dialed in. My neighbor finally came out and said that he would shoot me with his "assault rifle (AR-15)using his 30 round magazine 'clip' and then put it on a liberal website" if I gunned my engine one more time.

So hopefully I will have everything working and will not be completely broke within a week.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #1725
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

while searching for something completely different, I ran across another site that does full graphics for the DRZ-250. Here you go if anyone is interested in hooking up their bike.

https://www.sengegraphics.com/Produc...&vma=10&vmo=25