ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #1741
redleger
Horrible Mechanic
 
redleger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Tornado Alley, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
make sure to clean out the allen bolts real good so your tool can seat all the way in. on the nut side heat helps a alot either with heat gun, propane or even a lighter for a 30 secs of so.
Ok, thanks. Ill get the heat gun out of storage. Havnen't used it since the days where we had to polish our boots and make them shine like mirrors!
__________________
2006 Suzuki DRZ 250
redleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #1742
redleger
Horrible Mechanic
 
redleger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Tornado Alley, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 570
First real ride this morning and minus the need for a new rear tire I am extremely pleased and had more fun on that bike than I ever did on the DR. And a few suspension adjustments I was able to do all the same laps as the CRF450 my buddy was riding. The work and frusteration was worth it.
__________________
2006 Suzuki DRZ 250
redleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #1743
JamesK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JamesK's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
All running well. Holes fully covered. Needle set richer, different pilot jet and now she runs like a dream. And for my next disaster I will be putting on my new 52T rear sprocket. Any special crazy things I should know for this one?

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
I tried putting on a 51T rear sprocket yesterday only to find that it interferes with the lower chain guide.
What have you guys done for this, just remove the plastic from the inside or go with an after market (adjustable) lower chain guide?

I've seen some on the www.kientech.com site, but they only list them for a for DR350 & and DR650.
Does anyone know if either of these would fit a DRZ250/Djebel?

Also, I've seen some earlier posts taking about using 13/46 combinations, did the 46/47T rear sprocket fit ok with the OEM lower chain guide?

DR350 Adjustable Chain Guide
http://www.kientech.com/DR350AdjustableChainGuide.htm





DR650 Adjustable Chain Guide

http://www.kientech.com/DR650AdjustableChainGuide.htm

__________________
2007 FJR1300A 200K Mile Club

If you see my bike on a trailer call 911

TBA 904, IBA 27221
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #1744
JamesK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JamesK's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Oddometer: 112
Just to follow up, Twinrider found a post on some Japanese blog where the guy tried install a 51T rear sprocket and found the same problem as I did. Based on the crude translation by Google Translate it looks like he opted for the "down & dirty" trick of removing the plastic from the bottom of the chain guide (as evidenced by the 2 missing lower screws), which I thought might not be a good idea, still don't btw.

@tdrrally, I think it was you who said that you tried the 46T and I'm guessing it fitted ok with the OEM chain guide right? Do you remember if it looked like you had enough space for 47T with the OEM guide?

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/qwfhr667/31169608.html



__________________
2007 FJR1300A 200K Mile Club

If you see my bike on a trailer call 911

TBA 904, IBA 27221

JamesK screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 06:17 AM
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #1745
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
tdrrally's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: doing hard time in charleston,wv
Oddometer: 3,332
the 46t is fine as is the stock 49t

i would guess the chain guide would work, suzuki is great for reusing parts
__________________
2000 DRZ400e tagged
1980 TS125 project in the corner
tdrrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #1746
AlexD92
DR-Z 250
 
AlexD92's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Québec, Canada
Oddometer: 78
Chain guide is the same as the RMZ-450.
AlexD92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #1747
JamesK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JamesK's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
the 46t is fine as is the stock 49t

i would guess the chain guide would work, suzuki is great for reusing parts
Thanks tdrrally, I've ordered a 49T rear sprocket, which is supposed to provide around 14% increase in torque and will I hope based on your comment work with the OEM chain guide.
__________________
2007 FJR1300A 200K Mile Club

If you see my bike on a trailer call 911

TBA 904, IBA 27221
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #1748
JamesK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JamesK's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD92 View Post
Chain guide is the same as the RMZ-450.
Thanks Alex, but that means that it will still not work with a 51T sprocket right.
__________________
2007 FJR1300A 200K Mile Club

If you see my bike on a trailer call 911

TBA 904, IBA 27221
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #1749
redleger
Horrible Mechanic
 
redleger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Tornado Alley, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
Thanks Alex, but that means that it will still not work with a 51T sprocket right.

This weekend I am attempting to install a 52t rear sprocket at the behest of my local bike shopt. The manager I am always mooching advice off of there (insert joke here) said going 12/50 was hard on the chain. I already bought the sprockets but I then also bought the 52. Hopefully I won't have the problem you ran into. As far as I can tell the chain guide is stock. I will post updates with the results.

If it doesn't work with the chain guide then I am going with the 12/50.


On an unrelated note. I got those graphics out today that I ordered and they definately are not for the DRZ250 as advertised. But a little work with some sharp scissors and everything should fit fine. :(
__________________
2006 Suzuki DRZ 250
redleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #1750
JamesK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JamesK's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
This weekend I am attempting to install a 52t rear sprocket at the behest of my local bike shopt. The manager I am always mooching advice off of there (insert joke here) said going 12/50 was hard on the chain. I already bought the sprockets but I then also bought the 52. Hopefully I won't have the problem you ran into. As far as I can tell the chain guide is stock. I will post updates with the results.

If it doesn't work with the chain guide then I am going with the 12/50.


On an unrelated note. I got those graphics out today that I ordered and they definately are not for the DRZ250 as advertised. But a little work with some sharp scissors and everything should fit fine. :(
I'm anxious to hear your findings, since the 51T I tried definitely interfered with the chain guide.
__________________
2007 FJR1300A 200K Mile Club

If you see my bike on a trailer call 911

TBA 904, IBA 27221
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #1751
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD92 View Post
Chain guide is the same as the RMZ-450.
if that's the case ask TM how big a ring it will work with:
http://www.tmdesignworks.com/index.p...products_id=12
Fitment:
• DRZ 400E/ES
• RM 125 / RM 250 2-Stroke (99-UP)
• RMZ 450 (05-13)
• RMZ 250 (07-13)
• RMX 450 off road (2010-11) Offroad

there are other companies making guides for those bikes.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #1752
JamesK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JamesK's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
if that's the case ask TM how big a ring it will work with:
http://www.tmdesignworks.com/index.p...products_id=12
Fitment:
• DRZ 400E/ES
• RM 125 / RM 250 2-Stroke (99-UP)
• RMZ 450 (05-13)
• RMZ 250 (07-13)
• RMX 450 off road (2010-11) Offroad

there are other companies making guides for those bikes.
This is great news, thanks for the info
__________________
2007 FJR1300A 200K Mile Club

If you see my bike on a trailer call 911

TBA 904, IBA 27221
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #1753
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
tdrrally's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: doing hard time in charleston,wv
Oddometer: 3,332
i handle tm designs stuff daily at work, they make a very good product!

we have customers that replace the stock chain guides on out of the box new bikes with their products.
__________________
2000 DRZ400e tagged
1980 TS125 project in the corner
tdrrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #1754
redleger
Horrible Mechanic
 
redleger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Tornado Alley, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 570
I am about to go outside and take my rear tire off and put on the new sprocket. I have a feeling I am going to need a new chain though since I have stock gears right now. If that is the case, do I need to end up spending money on any special tool to cut the chain down to size? Never done it before, I know I ask alot of questions, but I guess I had a shitty childhood and I am making up for it now. Thanks dad! I kid I kid, but no seriously, if I have to put on a new chain, how do I go about doing that?
__________________
2006 Suzuki DRZ 250
redleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #1755
privateer2010
Adventurer
 
privateer2010's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Virginia Beach
Oddometer: 37
Ohhh yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
I am about to go outside and take my rear tire off and put on the new sprocket. I have a feeling I am going to need a new chain though since I have stock gears right now. If that is the case, do I need to end up spending money on any special tool to cut the chain down to size? Never done it before, I know I ask alot of questions, but I guess I had a shitty childhood and I am making up for it now. Thanks dad! I kid I kid, but no seriously, if I have to put on a new chain, how do I go about doing that?
If you are changing the sprockets out then yes you should most certainly get a new chain. The two degrade together as they work against each other, so if you introduce a new part without changing the others you cut the parts life down considerably. All you need is a chain break if there is no clip type master link. I would consider at least an o-ring type. May cost a little more upfront but a well taken care of chain should last a long time.
__________________
An adventure is only as far away as the first step out the door.
privateer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014